Old 10-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Heather

Default Crab Apple Tree - Stunting Fruit Growth

I absolutly love crab apple trees for the foliage and flowers, and planted a
fairly new growth one last year from the local garden center. When it
bloomed I noticed that it is the bearing fruit kind and wondered if there
was a way to avoid it from bearing fruit but still flower. When I asked my
father about it he said that there was something you could do with the
budding fruit stems when they are starting to stunt the further growth?

Any suggestions gladly appreciated.

Heather
Zone 6
Toronto, Canada

Old 10-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Timothy

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:04:17 -0400, Heather wrote:

I absolutly love crab apple trees for the foliage and flowers, and planted
a fairly new growth one last year from the local garden center. When it
bloomed I noticed that it is the bearing fruit kind and wondered if there
was a way to avoid it from bearing fruit but still flower. When I asked
my father about it he said that there was something you could do with the
budding fruit stems when they are starting to stunt the further growth?

You could tollerate the fruit (makes great hard cider when mixed with
eating apples) or you could cut your losses and replant the correct crab
apple.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 15-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Iris Cohen

I absolutly love crab apple trees for the foliage and flowers, and planted
a fairly new growth one last year from the local garden center. When it
bloomed I noticed that it is the bearing fruit kind and wondered if there
was a way to avoid it from bearing fruit but still flower.

If you like the tree otherwise & don't want to replace it, you can probably get
a hormone spray which will greatly reduce or eliminate the fruit. Ask at a
large garden center.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."