Old 10-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Stephen Younge

Default when to prune my rose?

I live in Boulder, Colorado, and noticed that a large rose bush (about four
feet tall) in our backyard is greening up already.

Last year, I vowed to prune it, as it is so tall that it bends down to the
ground once it blooms.

Should I prune this spring or wait until this fall?

I'm a rose/flower newby, as most of my gardening to date has been tomatoes,
cucumbers, and the like!

Any advice would be appreciated!

cheers,
Stephen

Old 10-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Valkyrie

My grandma told me to not prune roses in the fall except to clean up broken
branches. Prune your roses as soon as you see the forsythia starting to
crack open with blooms. I'm sure there are all kinds of rose pruning schools
of thought and practice but that's the one I stuck to for all the years had
roses. Listen to grandma :-)

Val

Old 10-04-2003, 08:20 PM
BiG Orange

Listen to grandma :-)

Val

Fortunately society does not conform to that standard or we'd all still be
using outhouses like Grandma. Although it sounds cute and makes you feel
warm and fuzzy inside, and some things have stayed basic, much is to be
learned from new methods.

Old 10-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Valkyrie

"BiG Orange" @ wrote in message ...
Listen to grandma :-)

Val

Fortunately society does not conform to that standard or we'd all still be
using outhouses like Grandma. Although it sounds cute and makes you feel
warm and fuzzy inside, and some things have stayed basic, much is to be
learned from new methods.

The question was about rose pruning, not plumbing and the best time for this
person, who lives in Colorado, is to prune in the spring before growth
appears on the roses. One of the best ways to be reminded to prune those
roses before it's too late is to watch for the forsythia to start blooming.
If you want to get terribly scientific about it, we could go into the
warming, length of days, etc and how that effects the growth and or dormancy
of these roses but it still boils down to the tried and true method of; when
you see the forsythia start to bloom prune back your roses. My grandmother
had a beautiful garden, she was my mentor in gardening, I have had beautiful
gardens for over 30 years, I don't know if the wolves that raised you had
any gardening skills what so ever and really don't give a shit...........but
when it comes to gardening........I'll listen to grandma.

Val

Old 10-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:32:34 GMT, "Stephen Younge"
wrote:

I live in Boulder, Colorado, and noticed that a large rose bush (about four
feet tall) in our backyard is greening up already.

Last year, I vowed to prune it, as it is so tall that it bends down to the
ground once it blooms.

Should I prune this spring or wait until this fall?

I'm a rose/flower newby, as most of my gardening to date has been tomatoes,
cucumbers, and the like!

Standard advice is to prune in late winter, before new growth emerges.
However, a sturdy but overgrown bush can probably stand some pruning
at most times of year. Cutting a blossom to bring indoors is "pruning"
in a way, and we do that in midsummer. Any ol' garden center can
advise you as to proper times and methods, and may even have scheduled
demonstrations. You want to both trim up your bush and encourage it to
grow in a pleasing, healthy way. Lots of info on the web, too.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:44 PM
BiG Orange

I'll listen to grandma.

Val

No, you said listen to Grandma imply all older women who have born children
are expert gardeners, not listen your your Grandma. Just because someone is
old does not make them a good gardner. Fortunately I didn't take your advice
because my grandma was into College Football and NBA.

My point has been made. As I said before, sounds cute, but Grandma does not
always know best, why do you think they used to have 12 kids? ;-0

L8R

Old 11-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Dwayne

I always prune my roses while they are still dormant. That is before it
starts putting on leaves or buds.

Next thing. If your rose is that big, is it because it has been neglected
or is it possibly a climbing rose? If it is a climbing rose, it isn't
pruned like the others. You also get something for it to grow up onto
(trellis, wall, fence, Etc.). You might get on rec.gardens.roses and see
what they have to say. I have one climber and prune it at chest height.
The rest are cut back to within 12 and 18 inches of the ground.

Dwayne

Old 11-04-2003, 01:44 PM
KrisHur

I agree, whenever I prune in fall, that cane dies. Canes left untouched
until spring do just fine.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

Old 11-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Phisherman

Dormancy is the best time to prune, more specifically early spring.
I prune my Don Juan during summer because I need to keep the growth
controlled on the trellis. Prunning encourages growth so that needs
to be avoided two months before the first fall frost.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Sunflower

"Stephen Younge" wrote in message
I live in Boulder, Colorado, and noticed that a large rose bush (about

four
feet tall) in our backyard is greening up already.

Last year, I vowed to prune it, as it is so tall that it bends down to the
ground once it blooms.

Should I prune this spring or wait until this fall?

I'm a rose/flower newby, as most of my gardening to date has been

tomatoes,
cucumbers, and the like!

Any advice would be appreciated!

cheers,
Stephen

Knowing what kind of rose you have is critical to a succesful pruning job.

Many shrub roses grow in the arching pattern that you describe and it's
perfectly natural and desirable that they do. They are best pruned by
removing 1/3 of the oldest canes completely and "shaping" up the rest of the
bush. This does not need to be done annually, just once ever 3 years or so.

Hybrid teas are pruned by first removing winterkilled growth completely(most
of the canes in cold winter areas) and then selectively pruning down to the
4 or 5 strongest canes. In warmer winter climates, such a severe pruning job
is not necesary, but strong pruning will lead to larger (but fewer) blooms.
For more but slightly smaller blooms, prune less.

FOr climbers that bloom on the previous season's growth, spring pruning will
deprive you of most of the summer blooms and so you should wait until after
the flush of blooms to remove old and woody growth.

Floribundas and mini roses can actually be pruned with hedge clippers with
no real disadvantage to the flowering or the health of the bush.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 29-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Stephen Quigley

wrote:

[...]

I agree broadly with the above advice. Of course you can get advice
from the experts, and local conditions may be important. In West
Sussex, England, one would prune any time from November to March. I
prefer just after growth starts. Some roses need a second trimming in
the early fall because of strong growth after the first flowering that
can result in a shaking of the roots by strong winds. You may be on
the late side now and be advised to wait until either the early or
late fall. Good luck.

Stephen Quigley