Old 12-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Martin R. Soderstrom

Default bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest

Hi, all. I'm in Ontario, and we just came out of a late cold snap, so I was
looking around the house to see what winter had done. My wife noticed a
dark lump on the underside of the peak of our house. I went up to one of
the rooms on the second floor, hung out and used a flashlight to see some
sort of bee-like nest...I think.

It isn't football shaped, as I thought all bees nests were, but it's flat
with definite honeycombs in it. It looks about the size of a paperback
novel. Is this a nest that just isn't finished? I find it hard to believe
this thing has been up there all winter without us noticing it.

In any case, my main question is, how do I get rid of this thing? I haven't
seen any bees around, yet, so I'm thinking now is the time to act. Of
course, this weekend is suppose to be sunny and warm (11 celsius), so I'll
probably see them now.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers,

-- Martin

Old 12-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Martin R. Soderstrom wrote:

Hi, all. I'm in Ontario, and we just came out of a late cold snap, so I was
looking around the house to see what winter had done. My wife noticed a
dark lump on the underside of the peak of our house. I went up to one of
the rooms on the second floor, hung out and used a flashlight to see some
sort of bee-like nest...I think.

It isn't football shaped,

Bald faced hornet nest.

as I thought all bees nests

Bees -- apiadae, not vespidae -- construct wax combs, in hollow trees or
similar cavities.

were, but it's flat
with definite honeycombs in it.

Paper wasp nest.

It looks about the size of a paperback
novel. Is this a nest that just isn't finished? I find it hard to believe
this thing has been up there all winter without us noticing it.

In any case, my main question is, how do I get rid of this thing? I haven't
seen any bees around, yet, so I'm thinking now is the time to act. Of
course, this weekend is suppose to be sunny and warm (11 celsius), so I'll
probably see them now.

Any help/advice appreciated.

It's last year's nest. You can knock it down if it's unsightly.

Paper wasps aren't aggressive. If the nest is active, its owners won't attack
you if you leave it alone -- you say you just _now_ noticed the thing? I've
actually knocked down nests _while_ they were active without reaction.

Since they're beneficial predators, you're better off not destroying it.

Yellow jackets are the only really aggressive species. You won't see
their nests, since they're built underground.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Penny Morgan

It sounds like a wasp nest. Very common. Just knock it down and you may
have to watch for more in the future. We used to get them all over the
eaves of our house and I would either hit them with a sharp spray from the
hose or knock them down with a broom. The wasps may have built them awhile
ago, but you should be o.k. to remove them. If you notice wasps in them,
you can try using a spray for hornets/wasps to kill them from a distance.
Spray it toward evening/dusk when they are very sleepy.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
.rogers.com...

Old 12-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Lar

In article 2tJla.6369$BQi.6234
@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com, scribbler1382
@yahoo.com says...
[...]

It is a paper wasp nest from last year. You can just
knock it down, there won't be any wasps in it.
--
Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 16-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Snooze

It's probably a left over wasp from last year. You can knock it down with a
broom, or a garden hose. In the summer time we get them all the time on the
sides of our houses. You can remove active nests, by getting a wasp nest
pesticide. It shoots out a stream of foam and pesticide about 20ft.

Just spray it in the evening, when most the wasps are at home, then the next
day just knock it down with a hose or broom.

Sameer

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Another wasp nest Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 8 17-08-2008 09:29 PM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Bald Faced Hornet Nest Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 0 30-01-2008 02:25 PM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hornet's Nest [email protected] Gardening 0 29-03-2006 08:14 PM
Finding a wasp's nest The Filers Lawns 5 24-10-2003 07:02 AM
Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What to do? Nic O'Demus United Kingdom 23 07-10-2003 08:03 PM