Old 28-06-2006, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tony Pacc

Default improving clay soil

The previous owner made a flower bed of mostly clay soil,it has about 2"
mulch,is there any way I can improve this soil without removing all that
mulch,like putting manure on top of the mulch hoping it will work it's way
into the soil.Its a pretty large area if I have to remove all that mulch.

Old 28-06-2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw

Tony Pacc wrote:
The previous owner made a flower bed of mostly clay soil,it has about 2"
mulch,is there any way I can improve this soil without removing all that
mulch,like putting manure on top of the mulch hoping it will work it's way
into the soil.Its a pretty large area if I have to remove all that mulch.

If the mulch that is already there is either fine or is coarse and
already starting to break down I'd simply turn it over and mix it into
the soil as deeply as I could. In fact, that quantity probably isn't
sufficient if the clay is as nasty as my local sort -- add several more
inches of compost to the existing mulch and turn that over. In my
experience it can take a huge quantity of organic material amendment to
improve clay. I've even resorted to adding perlite to lighten the
heaviest sort. Of course you'll need to replace the mulch on top after
planting.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 28-06-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
limey

"John McGaw" wrote :

Tony Pacc wrote:
[...]

I agree with John. We have heavy clay of the worst kind - gray, streaked
with blue. Ghastly stuff. We turn the mulch in every year, add compost,
even peat moss. It takes time, but you really can build up the soil. Our
flower beds now are great, with easily turned soil. Just have patience and
keep it up.

Dora

Old 28-06-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
The previous owner made a flower bed of mostly clay soil,it has about 2"
mulch,is there any way I can improve this soil without removing all that
mulch,like putting manure on top of the mulch hoping it will work it's way
into the soil.Its a pretty large area if I have to remove all that mulch.

It will improve the soil much faster if you dig the mulch in to at least a
foot deep. Mix it well with the soil. Adding some peatmoss and sand will
help loosen the clay. Adding rotted manure or compost from stores like Home
Depot will make a difference. Our soil is a heavy red clay. After 13 years
of adding organic matter to the flower beds and veggie patch you would never
know it.

Old 28-06-2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
nblomgren

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:49:46 -0500, "Mindful"
wrote:

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
The previous owner made a flower bed of mostly clay soil,it has about 2"
mulch,is there any way I can improve this soil without removing all that
mulch,like putting manure on top of the mulch hoping it will work it's way
into the soil.Its a pretty large area if I have to remove all that mulch.

It will improve the soil much faster if you dig the mulch in to at least a
foot deep. Mix it well with the soil. Adding some peatmoss and sand will
help loosen the clay. Adding rotted manure or compost from stores like Home
Depot will make a difference. Our soil is a heavy red clay. After 13 years
of adding organic matter to the flower beds and veggie patch you would never
know it.

Yep. We had heavy clay soil that I first mistook for concrete

It took a couple of years, but after adding soil conditioner, peat
moss, compost, and just about anything organic (even gutter crud), the
soil turns much more easily. Though it's still hard to get anything
other than the most indestructible plants to grow there (lantana is
doing very well), it was definitely worth the effort.

Dig deep. Don't rush. Let the elements take whatever time they need.

--Nan

Old 28-06-2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
The previous owner made a flower bed of mostly clay soil,it has about 2"
mulch,is there any way I can improve this soil without removing all that
mulch,like putting manure on top of the mulch hoping it will work it's way
into the soil.Its a pretty large area if I have to remove all that mulch.

In addition to all the other suggestions, call some REAL garden centers to
see if they sell bags of gypsum, sold specifically for busting up clay soil.
A friend has had good results with it, although it's not something that's
going to work in one season. Ask for it at Home Depot, and the knuckleheads
will probably try and walk you to the lumber department. Don't bother.

Old 28-06-2006, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"Tony Pacc" wrote:

The previous owner made a flower bed of mostly clay soil,it has about 2"
mulch,is there any way I can improve this soil without removing all that
mulch,like putting manure on top of the mulch hoping it will work it's way
into the soil.Its a pretty large area if I have to remove all that mulch.

Hi Tony, there is nothing better than good organic compost to improve
clay soil. However there is one other soil additive, Calcium Sulfate, or
gypsum which will counteract the increase of sodium in clay soils caused
by agricultural irrigation. In high sodium clay soils, the application
of gypsum will free the sodium and loosen up the soil and increase
drainage. If you are reclaiming farm land in the SE USA, then this may
be helpful. In other places it is of little use and may even be harmful.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 29-06-2006, 10:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
The previous owner made a flower bed of mostly clay soil,it has about 2"
mulch,is there any way I can improve this soil without removing all that
mulch,like putting manure on top of the mulch hoping it will work it's way
into the soil.Its a pretty large area if I have to remove all that mulch.

http://www.fbga.net/Lasagna%20gardening%202004.htm

rob

Old 29-06-2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
gardenlen

g'day tony,

i would lay a mass of gypsum down and rake it in then give it a good
water, then put some more manure or organic matter then mulch it with
spoilt hay. or it might be simpler to just put an edge around it and
convert it to a raised bed, see my page for building a garden and also
a link to ausgarden blog for my latest project.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 29-06-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.ponds
Wëndălen©

yeam bury those fish from the koi pond ni it and it makes good soil.

Old 29-06-2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.ponds
-ED

Yes it does make good ripe soil.

Old 30-06-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
James

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day tony,

i would lay a mass of gypsum down and rake it in then give it a good
water, then put some more manure or organic matter then mulch it with
spoilt hay. or it might be simpler to just put an edge around it and
convert it to a raised bed, see my page for building a garden and also
a link to ausgarden blog for my latest project.

I'll second that suggestion.

Old 30-06-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:54:24 -0400, "James"
wrote:

"gardenlen" wrote in message
.. .
g'day tony,

i would lay a mass of gypsum down and rake it in then give it a good
water, then put some more manure or organic matter then mulch it with
spoilt hay. or it might be simpler to just put an edge around it and
convert it to a raised bed, see my page for building a garden and also
a link to ausgarden blog for my latest project.

I'll second that suggestion.

Gypsum is good. Lime works too, although it takes longer, and a lot
less expensive. If you go the lime route, test your soil first. It
is probably acidic and in that case the lime will help. Working
compost into the soil will do wonders for clay soil too. If given the
choice of sandy soil and clay soil, I'd take the clay soil--at least
it has more nutrients in it than sandy soil.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

Gypsum or lime ONLY if your soil is on the acid side. If it's alkaline, it
will only make it more so.
Suzy, Wisconsin Zone 5