How do you plug the drainage hole in clay pot?

Old 09-07-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How do you plug the drainage hole in clay pot?

I have a beautiful clay pot that I want to convert to a fountain. What
is the best device for plugging the drainage hole?

Also, I am new to this group. Can I forward photos of struggling
plants for advice? Thanks a bunch!

Old 09-07-2006, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Trudy" wrote in message
oups.com
I have a beautiful clay pot that I want to convert to a
fountain.
What is the best device for plugging the drainage hole?

Also, I am new to this group. Can I forward photos of
struggling
plants for advice? Thanks a bunch!

I don't know about the pot but this is not a binary group so no
pictures. Post pictures in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 09-07-2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Trudy wrote:
I have a beautiful clay pot that I want to convert to a fountain. What
is the best device for plugging the drainage hole?

Also, I am new to this group. Can I forward photos of struggling
plants for advice? Thanks a bunch!

I've used silicone caulk with great success for small pots. Larger ones
might require the use of concrete, generally a 2-3" layer in the bottom
is sufficient. If putting plants in the pot, avoid using anything that
could cause the water to become poisonous to the plants (tar, some
concrete sealers, or oil based products). Some pots aren't meant to be
made into fountains. I've used some that after a short period of time
they fell apart. I've had fairly good luck out of baked terra cotta.
Avoid the clay pots unless they are mae specifically for water
applications. Some caly hasn't been cured well and the water makes them
become brittle. Concrete pots are porous and need to be sealed (much
like a concrete bird bath).

Good luck.

JD

Old 09-07-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Trudy wrote:
I have a beautiful clay pot that I want to convert to a fountain. What
is the best device for plugging the drainage hole?

I assume the plumbing of the fountain will come up through the hole.

You will need a short pipe nipple that is either fully threaded or on
which the unthreaded part is not longer than the thickness of the bottom
of the pot. The nipple should be at least two inches longer than the
thickness of the pot. You will need two large steel washers, with holes
only slightly larger than the nipple and outside diameters about 1/2
inch or more larger than the diameter of the hole in the bottom of the
pot. You will need two rubber washers holes larger than the nipple and
outside diameters slightly smaller than the diameter of the steel
washers. Finally, since nuts rarely have threads compatible with pipe
threads, you will need small pipe flanges that will fit the nipple.

On the nipple, place a rubber washer, steel washer, and pipe flange in
that order. Put the nipple through the hole in the bottom of the pot
with the flange and washers underneath. In the pot, place a rubber
washer, steel washer, and pipe flange on the nipple. Tighten the
flanges to the point where they cause the steel washers to compress the
rubber washers. Do not over-tighten, or you might crack the pot.

The nipple should extend enough beyond the flanges for you to use
female-threaded couplings to finish the plumbing.

Also, I am new to this group. Can I forward photos of struggling
plants for advice? Thanks a bunch!

Never send messages with images to a newsgroup unless "binary" or
"binaries" is part of the newsgroup's name. Some server operators
automatically delete any messages containing images to non-binary
newsgroups.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/
Old 10-07-2006, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Trudy-
Don't be discouraged by the clay pot. . .It may be more suitable than
you realize. Three years ago, I decided to turn a large blue glazed
pot into a water garden, with gold fish, and water lilies. It had the
unfortunate hole in the bottom.

I used a method similar to what David provided, and also added a coat
of pond sealant to the inside of the pot (I chose a black colored
sealant). That pot is still out there on the patio with my fish and
water lilies doing just fine. . .Leak free;-)

However, another idea you may try, if you are squimish about the clay
pot, is a whiskey barrel with a hard plastic liner. Home Depot and
Lowes sells those hard plastic liners that fit nicely inside the
whiskey barrel.

Good luck!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 9 Jul 2006 07:42:19 -0700, "Trudy" wrote:

I have a beautiful clay pot that I want to convert to a fountain. What
is the best device for plugging the drainage hole?

Also, I am new to this group. Can I forward photos of struggling
plants for advice? Thanks a bunch!

A cork or rubber stopper should work.