Old 24-07-2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Corn - when to harvest?

This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long
does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the
plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears
ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart.
Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

Old 24-07-2006, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
news
This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long
does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the
plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears
ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart.
Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

Gently feel the cobs now, and do so every few days. You'll be able to tell
when the kernels grow larger along the cob. When they feel "that way" close
to the top, it's harvest time. Leaving them in place for TOO long will cause
them to grow tough. The definition of "too long" depends on the variety, to
an extent, so you'll have to experiment.

Old 24-07-2006, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Matthew Reed wrote:
This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long
does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the
plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears
ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart.
Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

punch your thumb thru one of the kernals. If it is milky, then it is
done. And the tassels should be black also.

Old 25-07-2006, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
TQ TQ is offline

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
news
This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long
does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the
plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears
ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart.
Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

Corn is ready to pick 21 days after the silk appears.

As Day 21 approaches, wrap your hand around the ear/s top with your thumb
pointed toward the base. The tip of the ear should feel full in your palm,
not pointy when it/s ripe.

From here on out, make sure your plants gets ~2" water / wk to ensure full
ears.

Kernels than do not crowd their neighbors make for the best quality sweet
corn. Two days past prime makes for big, starchy kernels.

I like to pick my corn 1st thing in the morning, while its still cool from
the night air.

Old 25-07-2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Matthew Reed wrote:
This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long
does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the
plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears
ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart.
Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

When the raccoons tear down the stalks and steal all the corn, you'll
know that it would have been ready to pick in another 2 days. HTH :-)

Best regards,
Bob

Old 25-07-2006, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Matthew Reed wrote:
This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long
does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the
plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears
ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart.
Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

When the raccoons tear down the stalks and steal all the corn, you'll know
that it would have been ready to pick in another 2 days. HTH :-)

Best regards,
Bob

Um...not encouraging. Might have some around here. I'm working on a fence
(not that it will stop the racoons). Hopefully the construction between me
and the bushes will stop them, I'm at the edge of a small town. There is a
family of skunks that like to prowl around at night - I can tell when they
are in garden...peeeyyyeeewww, drifts right in the bedroom window. I
understand that skunk spray can be quite potent, but do the animals
themselves smell very strong?

Old 25-07-2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:
When the raccoons tear down the stalks and steal all the corn, you'll
know that it would have been ready to pick in another 2 days. HTH :-)

Best regards,
Bob

Snarf

Ah, then they are just like my tomatoes! They are ripe a few days after
they are covered with bites and claw marks. sigh

--Jenny
Old 26-07-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
news
This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long
does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the
plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears
ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart.
Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

Harvest it as soon as it's ready.

Old 27-07-2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

200 ears in a month means you have plenty to share.
Figure on 20 days from silk or the day the racoons have a party in your
garden.
You can feel the kernals develop through the husk.
Pick one and bite into it raw standing in the garden, no amount of
culinary skill will improve on that moment.
If it was me I would take the best looking ear around day 17 and sort
of sneak up onto optimum ripeness- it could cost you all of 6 ears,one
a day.
Got too much? soup kitchen, food bank, neighbors?

Old 27-07-2006, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...

Got too much? soup kitchen, food bank, neighbors?

I used to grow extra stuff for neighbors. Then, I moved to a new
neighborhood. I'm surrounded by old Italian ladies. Last year, I tried
giving away extra basil, escarole, tomatoes, garlic, onions, eggplant, etc.
Most of these ladies said stuff like "Escarole? Whattya do with it? I never
had it". WTF? :-) Maybe I should've grown cardoons.

Old 27-07-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pick one and bite into it raw standing in the garden, no amount of
culinary skill will improve on that moment.

Isn't that the truth! I eat most garden veggies raw. Cooked beans? Eww.
Boiled corn? bleah. The best veggies are eaten between garden and kitchen,
before Mama gets her hands on them

Old 29-07-2006, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

When the tassels have dried and turned brown, or even black, some say
the corn is ripe. If you can feel that the kernels at the free end of
the ear are developed, that is a good clue. My wife actually peels back
a bit of the husk and looks at the kernels to make her final decision.

Most sweet corn is good only for about a week, after that it becomes
tough. Depending on variety, the flavor can degrade (the sugar converts
to starch and the sweetness is gone) within hours of picking. My wife
checks that the corn is ripe, then puts on the water to boil. When the
water is just about to boil, we pick the corn, shuck it, and toss it
into the boiling water. You won't have too much; its easy to eat four
or five ears at a sitting.

Matthew Reed wrote:
This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long
does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the
plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears
ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart.
Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

[IMG] code is On

My corn harvest Higgs Boson Gardening 10 18-10-2012 08:08 AM
when to harvest corn? [email protected] Gardening 13 01-10-2006 06:40 AM
poor corn harvest -- some ideas? [email protected] Gardening 6 28-09-2006 05:20 PM
When to harvest peas AN Edible Gardening 4 19-02-2003 09:39 PM
Christmas tree harvest on Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 14-11-2002 04:16 PM