Husky 55 Rancher troubles

Old 02-08-2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Husky 55 Rancher troubles

Three years ago I bought a new Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw, to clean
up after hurricane Juan. Only used it a few times. Stored it away and
now it won't start. When I pull the starter cord I am met with great
resistance and can't pull a full stroke. When spark plug is removed, it
pulls easily, the full stroke. Any ideas?
Fred

Old 03-08-2006, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Don't know if this will help or not. Hope so...Found this on:
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.p...a+55+Ranch er

Hello, I would suggest takeing off the starter housing and turning the
flywheel in reverse and see if the saw unlocks. look for aluminum dust while
you have the cover off. I have had screws behind the flywheel back out and
grind into in back of the flywheel causing the saw to lock up. Normally it
happens when the saw are idling, because at high speeds the screw is shaving
the aluminum off the flywheel. The combination of working the saw hard and
the vibrations from the saw could cause this to happen. Let me know,
Jonathan

Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b

ups.com...

Old 04-08-2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Elaine wrote:
Don't know if this will help or not. Hope so...Found this on:
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.p...a+55+Ranch er

Hello, I would suggest takeing off the starter housing and turning the
flywheel in reverse and see if the saw unlocks. look for aluminum dust while
you have the cover off. I have had screws behind the flywheel back out and
grind into in back of the flywheel causing the saw to lock up. Normally it
happens when the saw are idling, because at high speeds the screw is shaving
the aluminum off the flywheel. The combination of working the saw hard and
the vibrations from the saw could cause this to happen. Let me know,
Jonathan

Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b

wrote in message
ups.com...
Three years ago I bought a new Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw, to clean
up after hurricane Juan. Only used it a few times. Stored it away and
now it won't start. When I pull the starter cord I am met with great
resistance and can't pull a full stroke. When spark plug is removed, it
pulls easily, the full stroke. Any ideas?
Fred

Thanks, but that wasn't the problem. The saw seems to have seized up
while in storage. The starter cord pulls quite freely with the
sparkplug removed, when compression is not involved. What effect does
bad fuel (gummed up) have on a motor. What are the symptoms? Thanks.
Fred

Old 04-08-2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...

Elaine wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Three years ago I bought a new Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw, to clean
up after hurricane Juan. Only used it a few times. Stored it away and
now it won't start. When I pull the starter cord I am met with great
resistance and can't pull a full stroke. When spark plug is removed, it
pulls easily, the full stroke. Any ideas?
Fred

Thanks, but that wasn't the problem. The saw seems to have seized up
while in storage. The starter cord pulls quite freely with the
sparkplug removed, when compression is not involved. What effect does
bad fuel (gummed up) have on a motor. What are the symptoms? Thanks.
Fred

Beats me Fred! I really know nothing about chain saws...sorry, I just did a
google search
trying to help you out. Maybe if you went to arboristsite.com and post your
question
someone there could help you more. There seems to be allot of knowledgeable
people
on the chainsaw forum. Good luck
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b

Old 07-08-2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Have you pressed in the compression release before attempting to start?
It's supposed to make starting easier and might explain why it pulls easily
when the spark plug is removed.

ups.com...

Old 29-08-2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Three years ago I bought a new Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw, to clean
up after hurricane Juan. Only used it a few times. Stored it away and
now it won't start. When I pull the starter cord I am met with great
resistance and can't pull a full stroke. When spark plug is removed, it
pulls easily, the full stroke. Any ideas?
Fred

Thanks to M. Paul and Elaine.

Thank you, M. Paul, I appreciate you offering advice. The Husky Rancher
55 that I own (bought new in Oct.03) has no compression release. But it
was a good idea. Thanks also to Elaine. I never found anything to solve
my problem on the website you suggested. I did, however find that
website useful in other ways and have added it to my favourites list.
Yesterday, I went out and refilled my saw with clean mixed fuel and
pulled it over(with difficulty) a couple of times. I let it sit
overnight and tried it again this morning. It pulled a lot easier and
started on the third pull. I shut it off and started it a few more
times. It seems to work well now. In the future,I won't let it sit,
unused for any length of time and I think I will have no further
problems.
Again, thanks to you both.
Fred