Corn only 3 feet tall

Old 08-08-2006, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Corn only 3 feet tall

It already have the pollen developing and tassels. What can cause corn grow
so short? I see this in other gardens here at the community garden.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote in message
t...
It already have the pollen developing and tassels. What can cause corn
grow so short? I see this in other gardens here at the community garden.

How are you fertilizing YOURS?

Old 08-08-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:00:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote in message
et...
It already have the pollen developing and tassels. What can cause corn
grow so short? I see this in other gardens here at the community garden.

How are you fertilizing YOURS?

Corn is a grass needing high nitrogen and lots of water.

My Silver Queen is 8 feet tall, maybe more.

John
Old 09-08-2006, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Some types of corn are short. I pick my brand with this in mind, as my
soil is too fluffy, and tall corn is easily knocked down by wind and the
sprinkler in my garden.

Also, I plant in blocks, and the edge of one block doesn't get a full
day of sun, and the corn there is typically shorter and thinner than the
part that gets full sun.

Corn does need a lot of fertilizer, also.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

OK, you made me take my tape measure down to the corn patch. My
tallest Silver Queen is also 118" which surprised me. I am in
Southern New Hampshire.

I have good soil thanks to the tons of manure and compost I have
poured into it over the years. I also irrigate my corn and most other
crops.

I did a lousy job of weed control this year and have a plan to
improve that next year. Hint: the organic folks will not like it.

John

Hmm...I need to measure mine, I have some stalks pushing 10 feet. I didn't
do anything special, just mulched it and dumped some fertilizer and water it
regularly. Other then that I ignore it.

Interesting enough, a later planting of the same corn sent up tassles when
it was about 4 feet tall. I'm not sure why.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 03:25:22 GMT, Joseph A. Zupko wrote:
It already have the pollen developing and tassels. What can cause corn grow
so short? I see this in other gardens here at the community garden.

Late planting, cold temps at the V5 development stage, not enough water,
not enough fertilizer and water, wrong genotype for the latitude,
short genotype....

Old 12-08-2006, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hmm...I need to measure mine, I have some stalks pushing 10 feet. I didn't
do anything special, just mulched it and dumped some fertilizer and water
it regularly. Other then that I ignore it.

Interesting enough, a later planting of the same corn sent up tassles when
it was about 4 feet tall. I'm not sure why.

Right about 118 inches or so, just a tad under 10 feet. Interesting enough,
the sunflower is about the same height:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF4445.jpg

Old 09-10-2006, 09:56 AM

Sometimes you can use latitude to your advantage when trying to get very tall corn.

20 foot 1 inch tall maize
Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:-
It already have the pollen developing and tassels. What can cause
corn grow
so short? I see this in other gardens here at the community garden. -

Late planting, cold temps at the V5 development stage, not enough
water,
not enough fertilizer and water, wrong genotype for the latitude,
short genotype....

Sometimes you can use latitude to your advantage when trying to get
very tall corn.

20 foot 1 inch tall maize
[image:
http://www.gardenpics.com/photos/dat...t_9_28_06.JPG]

That picture reminds me of something from my childhood. I had 2 uncles
who owned a big farm in Ohio. Mostly they grew corn. Out of countless
thousands of plants on hundreds of acres, sometimes one plant would grow
much taller than all the others. Some sort of genetic mutation or at
least a genetic difference.
Anyway, I remember one day when one of the uncles brought back a really
tall corn plant to show everyone. I don't think it was quite as tall as
the one in the picture but it was very tall.

Steve
Old 11-10-2006, 04:03 AM

That picture reminds me of something from my childhood. I had 2 uncles
who owned a big farm in Ohio. Mostly they grew corn. Out of countless
thousands of plants on hundreds of acres, sometimes one plant would grow
much taller than all the others. Some sort of genetic mutation or at
least a genetic difference.
Anyway, I remember one day when one of the uncles brought back a really
tall corn plant to show everyone. I don't think it was quite as tall as
the one in the picture but it was very tall.
Steve
the variety I grow is Jala Valley landrace Maize. It's the tallest variety of maize in the world. It's not uncommon to get corn as tall as I had. In fact, I know people that had them about 25 feet or so. I still have one more giant left in the garden that is still growing. I don't know if it's going to get a tassel before frost comes. Had my wife take a pic today. Sorry, but it's a bit dark.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

sunflower_info wrote:

[...]

http://www.gardenpics.com/photos/dat..._10_10_06.JPG]

I could never grow that where I live now. I live on the waterfront and
the wind often blows over corn that is only 5 or 6 feet tall. I can't
imagine what the wind would do to that.
Does that variety form ears like regular corn? If not, where are the
seeds produced?
I lightened your picture and mailed it back to you. If your return
address is valid, you should get it.

Steve
Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by sunflower_info View Post
Sometimes you can use latitude to your advantage when trying to get very tall corn.

20 foot 1 inch tall maize

how can you use latitude to your advantage?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by sunflower_info View Post
the variety I grow is Jala Valley landrace Maize. It's the tallest variety of maize in the world. It's not uncommon to get corn as tall as I had. In fact, I know people that had them about 25 feet or so. I still have one more giant left in the garden that is still growing. I don't know if it's going to get a tassel before frost comes. Had my wife take a pic today. Sorry, but it's a bit dark.

How do you know that Jala is the tallest variety of maize in the world? Did you grow them all next to each other?

What people had them about 25' or so?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by sunflower_info View Post
the variety I grow is Jala Valley landrace Maize. It's the tallest variety of maize in the world. It's not uncommon to get corn as tall as I had. In fact, I know people that had them about 25 feet or so. I still have one more giant left in the garden that is still growing. I don't know if it's going to get a tassel before frost comes. Had my wife take a pic today. Sorry, but it's a bit dark.

Are you sure the plant of the dark photo is Jala? How sure are you?