Old 14-04-2003, 04:56 AM
animaux

Default Sansevieria Trifasciata

I've never seen it before, but mine is flowering. Is this indicative of
anything I should know about? I know one thing, it got all the neglect I
could have heaped on it.

victoria
Old 14-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Cereoid-XXX

Sansevieria trifasciata does bloom.

The most free flowering of all the Sansevierias is Sansevieria parva.

news

Old 14-04-2003, 08:32 AM
virginia walters

You said the magic word: NEGLECT..if the sansaveria thinks it may die,
or need to go dormant, it will bloon. It DOES seem to need some sun to
bloom, but nothing like most houseplants.
I used to leave for six weeks at a time. I'd water mine well before I
left and when I returned, it would be ready to bloom from having been
neglected for that length of time.
And doesn't it smell great!!!

--
Virginia Walters (907) 283-7305
214 Birch Street
Old 14-04-2003, 04:56 PM
animaux

The bloom has not opened yet. I will take a photo. It's in a north aspect, not
even close to the window and twice a year I give it a complete soak. Outside of
that, I do nothing. It's huge.

Old 14-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Cereoid-XXX

Absolute nonsense, Virginia.

First of all, Sansevierias can't think.

Second, Sansevierias do best when grown as succulents not as typical
houseplants.

Third, a well watered and well fertilized plant grown in good light will
grow better and flower more reliably than a mistreated one.

Of course, all that is rather difficult to do in Alaska.