Old 12-08-2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomatillo help needed

I have several dozen tomatillo plants in my garden. The last time I grew
them, they grew into little stubby 12" bushes that didn't do much. This
time, they are 4-5 feet tall and the same in diamater. They are loaded with
little paper lantern things with little tomatillos inside:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF4443.jpg

I have hundreds of these (fruit, not bushes)! Question - when do you pick
them? How do you tell if they are ripe and ready to harvest? And lastly,
does anyone have any recipes they would like to share? I grew these on a
whim and had no idea they would grow so well, I'm not quite sure what to do
with them :~|. They are just as prolific as my tomatoes, and have taken over
a few areas of the garden because I planted them too close to other things
because I didn't know they would get so big LOL.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message

I have hundreds of these (fruit, not bushes)! Question - when do you pick
them? How do you tell if they are ripe and ready to harvest? And lastly,
does anyone have any recipes they would like to share? I grew these on a
whim and had no idea they would grow so well, I'm not quite sure what to
do with them :~|. They are just as prolific as my tomatoes, and have taken
over a few areas of the garden because I planted them too close to other
things because I didn't know they would get so big LOL.

IMO, a good website for recipes, that allows you to search by ingredients
you have on hand, is allrecipes.com

I did a quick search of tomatillos:

http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/...rt=1&Submit=GO

--
Tara

Old 12-08-2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Matthew Reed wrote:
I have several dozen tomatillo plants in my garden. The last time I grew
them, they grew into little stubby 12" bushes that didn't do much. This
time, they are 4-5 feet tall and the same in diamater. They are loaded with
little paper lantern things with little tomatillos inside:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF4443.jpg

I have hundreds of these (fruit, not bushes)! Question - when do you pick
them? How do you tell if they are ripe and ready to harvest? And lastly,
does anyone have any recipes they would like to share? I grew these on a
whim and had no idea they would grow so well, I'm not quite sure what to do
with them :~|. They are just as prolific as my tomatoes, and have taken over
a few areas of the garden because I planted them too close to other things
because I didn't know they would get so big LOL.

I made a bunch of this when I grew tomatillos a couple of years ago.
It's very tasty, and it won a blue ribbon at the county fair.

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

6 1/2 pounds tomatillos -- chopped large
1 1/2 pounds mixed green chiles
1/2 pound chopped yellow onion
1 cup lemon juice or vinegar [I used white vinegar]
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. whole black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large covered saucepan and cook over low
heat until mixture begins to boil; simmer for 20 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Liquefy with a "stick blender" and bring back to a boil.
Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids
and process in a steam pressure canner at 10 pounds for 20 or 25 minutes
for pints or quarts, respectively. Makes about 8 pints.

--
Best regards,
Bob
Old 12-08-2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Awesome, thanks for the recipe and detailed instructions. I have about 500
quart and pint jars in my basement, and I'm going to fill as many as I can

When do you harvest the tomatillos? How do you tell if they are ready to
pick?

Old 12-08-2006, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Matthew Reed wrote:

[...]

When they are fully ripe, they fall off. I like to pick them a little
before that. Pick them when the paper husk cracks and the fruit inside
is starting to yellow a little (but it'll still be green, not really
yellow) and you'll be pretty close.

I used mixed jalapeno and serrano peppers when I made it.

Bob

Old 13-08-2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

When they are fully ripe, they fall off. I like to pick them a little
before that. Pick them when the paper husk cracks and the fruit inside is
starting to yellow a little (but it'll still be green, not really yellow)
and you'll be pretty close.

I used mixed jalapeno and serrano peppers when I made it.

Bob

They have a ways to go I'd guess. The husks are quite large, and only half
full. I think I have a bumper tomatillo crop heading my way

Old 03-09-2006, 07:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Matthew Reed wrote:

When they are fully ripe, they fall off. I like to pick them a little
before that. Pick them when the paper husk cracks and the fruit inside is
starting to yellow a little (but it'll still be green, not really yellow)
and you'll be pretty close.

I used mixed jalapeno and serrano peppers when I made it.

Bob

They have a ways to go I'd guess. The husks are quite large, and only half
full. I think I have a bumper tomatillo crop heading my way

Do tomatillos take up a lot of room in a garden? I bought some seeds
this past spring and noted that the package says to plant them in the
fall. I have a very small yard (35'x 35') so I don't have a lot of space
to devote to any one thing. But given that I can't buy them here (I live
in France) my only way to get them is grow them myself. I was thinking
of trying them in large pots. I currently have two pots with parsnips
growing in them and they seem to be doing well. (Parsnips are also very
hard to find here.)
Old 03-09-2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

horselover wrote:
Matthew Reed wrote:

[...]

They grow about like large sprawling tomato plants. You need more than
one tomatillo plant for pollination. Fall sounds like the worst
possible time to plant them. I plant them indoors early in the spring,
but you can also direct-sow them when the soil starts to warm.

Bob
Old 04-09-2006, 08:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:
horselover wrote:

Matthew Reed wrote:

[...]

We have what I think of as warm winters here - never a day when the temp
stays below freezing. I think of the winter here as 5 months of early
spring! I'd guess this climate is equivalent to zone 9. Does this make
enough difference to allow fall planting. The seed package says to plant
them in the fall, so I'm guessing they have some reason to say that.

I was wondering if I'd need to plant two. Good to realize that they are
like tomatoes - not a surprise, I guess. Thanks!