Best fruit trees to grow in Utah

Old 16-09-2006, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Best fruit trees to grow in Utah

Hi, I'm a new homeowner, just bought my first home about 2 months ago
and am wanting to plant some fruit trees. However I don't know what
types of trees will grow in Utah and when I should plant. If anyone
has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction I would
greatly appreciate it.

Old 17-09-2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thankx simy1 I really appreciate the ideas.

simy1 wrote:
wrote:
Hi, I'm a new homeowner, just bought my first home about 2 months ago
and am wanting to plant some fruit trees. However I don't know what
types of trees will grow in Utah and when I should plant. If anyone
has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction I would
greatly appreciate it.

you should plant in the next eight weeks. Contact your extension or
Google it. If you are serious about buying, a local seller will help
you with selection. The dry climate will help with pests, your main
concern is to make sure you plant trees that are OK in your temperature
range, soil type, and soil pH. If your elevation is not too high,
peaches will probably do well. At higher elevations, some of the
hardier plums, pears and apples. As someone who grows several types of
fruits, my advice is to go for fruits that need minimum care. You may
have never heard of some of the fruits that do best with less care,
things such as hardy kiwis or shipova. at midfex.org or crfg.org they
may be able to help you.

Old 17-09-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

http://utahfruit.com/where.php

Old 17-09-2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

What about Plouts & Akebias???