Old 15-04-2003, 04:44 AM

Default tall iris?

I have some irises that were growing in my place when I moved in. They
were sort of scattered and neglected. I still see them in places
around the neighborhood, but usually neglected.

They are about 4 feet tall. Not bearded. White with yellow. Very
elegant looking, especially as tall slender cut flowers on their 3'
stems.

Each stem usually puts out 3 flowers or so.

After flowering the leaves tend to flop over and get a bit messy,
which is why they get neglected in corners of peoples' yards, but I've
moved them into clumps and, amazingly, I get nothing but complements
from the neighbors. I tell them it's a neighborhood weed if they just
look around and they are astonished to find I'm right.

So, anyone know what they could be? I don't know what a german or
siberian iris is, but that's what I can find that looks like them.

They are flowering now, in California, with the late bearded irises
and the first of my roses. Well after any bulbs.

Anyone?

gg
Old 15-04-2003, 12:32 PM
SugarChile

German irises are bearded. Siberians are not, but they are commonly in
purple shades, and not as tall. Your description reminds me of "Dutch"
irises. They grow from a bulb, not a rhizome. Here they bloom after the
spring bulbs and just before the bearded iris, but the timing could be
different in California.

I used to grow them, and especially admired the white/yellow ones, but in
this climate the foliage usually emerges 6 inches or so in the fall, the
gets brown and tattered over the winter. I either had to fussily trim the
foliage in the spring, or pretend to ignore it as it spoiled the look of the
blooming plant. I finally removed them.

HTH,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 15-04-2003, 01:56 PM

It's not a dutch iris. It looks a bit like a dutch iris on steroids
though. It's too tall for dutch iris. It's too late for dutch iris.
And it doesn't grow from the same sort of rhizome as a dutch iris.
Unless, of course, dutch irises have a range of size much greater than
I've imagined. Also, it never makes a hard, dormant rhizome, it's
green and a bit succulent even in winter.

Iris ochroleuca is something I find that comes close but I've only
been able to find one small, poor quality photo. Anyone know this?
It's listed in some places as a bog iris. I grow mine fairly dry, so
that's not consistent.

thanks all.

gg

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:22:29 GMT, "SugarChile"
wrote:

German irises are bearded. Siberians are not, but they are commonly in
purple shades, and not as tall. Your description reminds me of "Dutch"
irises. They grow from a bulb, not a rhizome. Here they bloom after the
spring bulbs and just before the bearded iris, but the timing could be
different in California.

I used to grow them, and especially admired the white/yellow ones, but in
this climate the foliage usually emerges 6 inches or so in the fall, the
gets brown and tattered over the winter. I either had to fussily trim the
foliage in the spring, or pretend to ignore it as it spoiled the look of the
blooming plant. I finally removed them.

HTH,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

.. .

Old 15-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Starlord

What you have is what some people call Afican Iris, as it does/did come down
that way in years past. It is used in landscaping as it doesn't need lots of
watering and as you can see can keep on growing even if not taken care of. I've
even seen some of them out here in the High Mojave Desert
(Palmdale/Lancaster/Rosamond) area.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

wrote:

German irises are bearded. Siberians are not, but they are commonly in
purple shades, and not as tall. Your description reminds me of "Dutch"
irises. They grow from a bulb, not a rhizome. Here they bloom after the
spring bulbs and just before the bearded iris, but the timing could be
different in California.

I used to grow them, and especially admired the white/yellow ones, but in
this climate the foliage usually emerges 6 inches or so in the fall, the
gets brown and tattered over the winter. I either had to fussily trim the
foliage in the spring, or pretend to ignore it as it spoiled the look of the
blooming plant. I finally removed them.

HTH,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

---

Old 15-04-2003, 05:20 PM
jammer

I wanted to tell you all that i have an explosion of pretty purple
irises. They are beautiful. I wish i could post a pic, but i can't.

Old 15-04-2003, 07:56 PM

Nope, not that one either. I know Dietes and its relatives. This has
long straight leaves and the flower stalk grows straight up through
the leave in a very elegant manner. The flowers bloom from the large
bud enclosed at the tip. 3 flowers in sequence then it's over until
next year.

gg

Old 15-04-2003, 08:08 PM

Near as I can tell I. pseudacorus is yellow and only yellow. This is
white.

Thanks all. I think I'm sticking with I. ochroleuco. Seems the best
fit except for the fact that I grow it fairly dry and it's listed as a
bog iris.

gg

On 15 Apr 2003 18:34:32 GMT, (MLEBLANCA) wrote:

In article ,
writes:

They are about 4 feet tall. Not bearded. White with yellow. Very
elegant looking, especially as tall slender cut flowers on their 3'
stems.

Try Iris pseudacorus.

Emilie

Old 16-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Starlord

I wish I could see photos of it, I'd even try to grow it out here if I could get
a start of it. I've got many bearded iris, and even a L.A. Iris I'm growing in a
pot that I have to take inside during the winter.

Old 16-04-2003, 05:20 AM

They are just beginning to bloom. First one opened today. I'll get
some photos over the next few days.

As I've said, their great value for us it their elegance as a cut
flower. They are stunning.

gg

Old 16-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Carolyn Jean Fairman

Sunset had an article on a type of iris that is very tall and has 3-5
blooms per stalk. Could this be the right iris? I didn't see white
shown but it does come in a lot of colors.

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium.../Iris0403.html

--Carolyn

In article ,
wrote:
Near as I can tell I. pseudacorus is yellow and only yellow. This is
white.

Thanks all. I think I'm sticking with I. ochroleuco. Seems the best
fit except for the fact that I grow it fairly dry and it's listed as a
bog iris.

gg

--
Carolyn Fairman
http://www.stanford.edu/~cfairman/
Old 16-04-2003, 09:08 PM

Getting closer. This description seems to fit very well. I'm guessing
what I have is an older selection. Maybe even a species iris that
contributed to the development fo these Spuria irises. I live in an
old (very old by California standards) neighborhood and this same iris
pops up in untended nooks and crannies along alleys and such.

I will definately look into the Spuria irises, although I'm very
pleased with the elegant look of the white one I have.

Thank you for passing this on.

--gg

Old 16-04-2003, 09:32 PM

I followed the links on Sunset's page and googled Spuria Irises. This
looks like what I'm looking for. I do not find what I have among the
named hybrids, but that's to be expected given the recent dates they
have. Mine do look like some of the white named varieties w/o the
ruffled petals. More subtle in their beauty.

Of the species I find it looks a bit like I. orientalis, but not
exactly. Anyway, I have learned a lot and learned about a group of
very interesting looking irises that I will follow up on.

Thanks again to all.