Old 28-09-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Magnolia question

What is this suggestive looking growth on my magnolia tree?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18364027@N00/254919215/

The tree is about 12 years old and growing at about its northern limit.

It flowers well in the spring but this is the first time I have noticed this
structure.

BeeCee

Old 29-09-2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

BeeCee wrote:
What is this suggestive looking growth on my magnolia tree?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18364027@N00/254919215/

The tree is about 12 years old and growing at about its northern limit.

It flowers well in the spring but this is the first time I have noticed this
structure.

BeeCee

That's the fruit (not edible). When it matures, the scales will spread.
Seeds will be inside.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 01-10-2006, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

news:-q6dnTkBZK_9cIbYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@wtccommunications. ca...

Old 01-10-2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

I Live in Wisconsin, I just stared growing one of these from
seed..........

Old 02-10-2006, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

It's hard to know if this was a serious question but here goes. The photograph
shows the fruit of a Magnolia. In botanical terminology the fruit is an
aggrregate of follicles. Each follicle may contain a seed but often only a few
have seeds. In your photo there appear to be two seeds at the outermost end of
the fruit.

"BeeCee" wrote in message
news:-q6dnTkBZK_9cIbYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@wtccommunications. ca...
What is this suggestive looking growth on my magnolia tree?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18364027@N00/254919215/

The tree is about 12 years old and growing at about its northern limit.

It flowers well in the spring but this is the first time I have noticed this
structure.

BeeCee

[IMG] code is On

Magnolia question Steve Turner[_2_] United Kingdom 1 22-08-2008 02:17 PM
Magnolia Question Prune? Bill[_13_] Gardening 2 20-04-2008 01:59 AM
Magnolia "tulip" tree question nobodyhome1 Gardening 7 29-11-2005 02:03 PM
magnolia info please...... will Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Young Magnolia Tree SarahF Gardening 1 02-04-2003 01:56 AM