Critters in my mulch

Old 15-10-2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
ACP

Default Critters in my mulch

Every night some critter is digging in the pine bark mulch around our
landscape. Yesterday I spread some moth balls around and last night the
activity was the worst I ever had.

Not sure what the animal is, maybe possum or raccoon.

Short of sitting out there after dark with night vision goggles and a 22
rifle and suggestions for keeping the pests away?

Thanks....

Old 15-10-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

"ACP" wrote in message
Every night some critter is digging in the pine bark mulch around our
landscape. Yesterday I spread some moth balls around and last night the
activity was the worst I ever had.

Not sure what the animal is, maybe possum or raccoon.

Short of sitting out there after dark with night vision goggles and a 22
rifle and suggestions for keeping the pests away?

Thanks....

Which of these 3 choices is the real issue?

1) The animal is seriously disrupting the mulch.
B) You're just curious who it is.
III) You don't want animals around.

Old 15-10-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:03:29 -0400, "ACP"
wrote:

Every night some critter is digging in the pine bark mulch around our
landscape. Yesterday I spread some moth balls around and last night the
activity was the worst I ever had.

Not sure what the animal is, maybe possum or raccoon.

Short of sitting out there after dark with night vision goggles and a 22
rifle and suggestions for keeping the pests away?

Thanks....

So, I have a fox and her pups, an oppossum who digs, a skunk who comes
in now and again, a resident armadillo in one of the brush piles,
snakes, skinks, lizards, birds and rats. What should I do, kill every
living thing so my mulch stays smooth?

Troll.
Old 15-10-2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Every night some critter is digging in the pine bark mulch around our
landscape. Yesterday I spread some moth balls around and last night the
activity was the worst I ever had.

Not sure what the animal is, maybe possum or raccoon.

Short of sitting out there after dark with night vision goggles and a 22
rifle and suggestions for keeping the pests away?

Thanks....

So, I have a fox and her pups, an oppossum who digs, a skunk who comes
in now and again, a resident armadillo in one of the brush piles,
snakes, skinks, lizards, birds and rats. What should I do, kill every
living thing so my mulch stays smooth?

Troll.

Disturbing the mulch could cause the earth to fly out of its orbit. Everyone
knows that.

Old 15-10-2006, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 14:36:47 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Every night some critter is digging in the pine bark mulch around our
landscape. Yesterday I spread some moth balls around and last night the
activity was the worst I ever had.

Not sure what the animal is, maybe possum or raccoon.

Short of sitting out there after dark with night vision goggles and a 22
rifle and suggestions for keeping the pests away?

Thanks....

So, I have a fox and her pups, an oppossum who digs, a skunk who comes
in now and again, a resident armadillo in one of the brush piles,
snakes, skinks, lizards, birds and rats. What should I do, kill every
living thing so my mulch stays smooth?

Troll.

Disturbing the mulch could cause the earth to fly out of its orbit. Everyone
knows that.

Is that what is making me so dizzy!
Old 15-10-2006, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"ACP" wrote in message
Every night some critter is digging in the pine bark mulch around our
landscape. Yesterday I spread some moth balls around and last night the
activity was the worst I ever had.

Not sure what the animal is, maybe possum or raccoon.

Short of sitting out there after dark with night vision goggles and a 22
rifle and suggestions for keeping the pests away?

Thanks....

Which of these 3 choices is the real issue?

1) The animal is seriously disrupting the mulch.
B) You're just curious who it is.
III) You don't want animals around.

1.....

Go to Home Depot, rent a cement mixer and buy lots of bags of cement
and get rid of any signs of life that way.

Old 15-10-2006, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Every night some critter is digging in the pine bark mulch around our
landscape. Yesterday I spread some moth balls around and last night the
activity was the worst I ever had.

Not sure what the animal is, maybe possum or raccoon.

Short of sitting out there after dark with night vision goggles and a 22
rifle and suggestions for keeping the pests away?

Thanks....

We have squirrels, skinks, possums, chip monks, birds, shrews, and the
most annoying skunks digging in the mulch. They seem to dig in the
organic mulch and compost piles, and leave the rock mulch alone. I
guess an outdoor dog would keep most of natures critters away, but I'd
rather put up with nature's way than a barking dog.
Old 15-10-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"ACP" wrote in message
Every night some critter is digging in the pine bark mulch around our
landscape. Yesterday I spread some moth balls around and last night the
activity was the worst I ever had.

Not sure what the animal is, maybe possum or raccoon.

Short of sitting out there after dark with night vision goggles and a 22
rifle and suggestions for keeping the pests away?

Thanks....

Which of these 3 choices is the real issue?

1) The animal is seriously disrupting the mulch.
B) You're just curious who it is.
III) You don't want animals around.

1.....

Buy a rake whose tines can be adjusted to a narrow width, allowing you to
work in between closely spaced plants:
http://www.amazon.com/Combisystem-Ad...6?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Use it to put the mulch back in place. Or, lay chicken wire over the mulch,
but be prepared to have your hands poked by the sharp edges.

Old 15-10-2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
ACP

"ACP" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have the tools to rake it back into place, I'm just trying to avoid the
hassle.

Aesthetically I think the chicken wire would be objectionable.

Old 15-10-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
ACP

wrote:

Every night some critter is digging in the pine bark mulch around our
landscape. Yesterday I spread some moth balls around and last night the
activity was the worst I ever had.

Not sure what the animal is, maybe possum or raccoon.

Short of sitting out there after dark with night vision goggles and a 22
rifle and suggestions for keeping the pests away?

Thanks....

We have squirrels, skinks, possums, chip monks, birds, shrews, and the
most annoying skunks digging in the mulch. They seem to dig in the
organic mulch and compost piles, and leave the rock mulch alone. I
guess an outdoor dog would keep most of natures critters away, but I'd
rather put up with nature's way than a barking dog.

I have a dog, but like you, I (and my neighbors) would not be able to
tolerate the barking.

Old 15-10-2006, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

ACP wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

om...

"ACP" wrote in message
news:iOednZKMVr4Foq_YnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@giganews .com...

[...]

there are motion sensing water sprinklers. There MAY be other deterents
but some of the fox urine/mothballs kinda suggestions have mixed reviews.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 15-10-2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"ACP" wrote in message
[...]

You can put some mulch on top of the chicken wire. Voila. Invisible. It'll
rust eventually, but oh well.

Old 16-10-2006, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 16:11:34 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Jangchub contains these words:

So, I have a fox and her pups, an oppossum who digs, a skunk who comes
in now and again, a resident armadillo in one of the brush piles,
snakes, skinks, lizards, birds and rats. What should I do, kill every
living thing so my mulch stays smooth?

An armadillo in the garden..lucky you! How cool is that.

Janet

It's very cool. You should see the little babies in the spring.
Little miniature armadillos, so cute. They nose around eating grubs
and other soil macrobes, but rarely do much damage. Occasionally they
dig holes here or there, but nothing so awful I'd shoot or kill or not
let them live in my pile. The fun part is when I'm weeding and the
thing walks behind me and scares the crap out of me. LOL They move
very slow.
Old 16-10-2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Every night some critter is digging in the pine bark mulch around our
landscape. Yesterday I spread some moth balls around and last night the
activity was the worst I ever had.

Not sure what the animal is, maybe possum or raccoon.

Short of sitting out there after dark with night vision goggles and a 22
rifle and suggestions for keeping the pests away?

Thanks....

We have squirrels, skinks, possums, chip monks, birds, shrews, and the
most annoying skunks digging in the mulch. They seem to dig in the
organic mulch and compost piles, and leave the rock mulch alone. I
guess an outdoor dog would keep most of natures critters away, but I'd
rather put up with nature's way than a barking dog.

Ha, speaking of that, I swear every night at ten o'clock the neighbor
yellow lab barks. He barks at the oppossum who, for some reason,
likes to walk on top of the fence. Talk about slow! Again, very
adorable babies. We seem to attract female animals here because it's
such a sanctuary with plenty of food and water. We have a huge bull
frog who swims in our pool every night. We scoop him out and he jumps
back in.