Old 19-02-2003, 02:03 PM
David J. Bockman

Default HELP with aftermath of Pine Tree removal

If you excavate out below soil level with your grinder and then remove the
shredded remains you shouldn't have a problem. The resinous nature of pine
roots means that they will persist for awhile but shouldn't interfere with
growth. There is no acidity problem either.

Dave

"Todd W. Roat" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

We have a giant pine tree planted 10 feet from the front left corner
of our house. Stands probably ablut 30 feet. Having it revoved for
many reasons: endless gutter problems with cones and pine straw,
nothing will grow under it , etc. However, we want to replace it with
another smaller more decorative tree.
Will it be hard for another tree to grow in that exact same spot
(provided I have the stump well removed)? I have heard stories of how
the pine tree root system stiull grows for years after tree actually
gone and that the super high acidity level from the pine tree may
remain for quite some time.

Any thought?

Thanks
Todd in Cincinnati

Old 19-02-2003, 06:39 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Todd W. Roat) wrote:

Hello,

We have a giant pine tree planted 10 feet from the front left corner
of our house. Stands probably ablut 30 feet. Having it revoved for
many reasons: endless gutter problems with cones and pine straw,
nothing will grow under it , etc. However, we want to replace it with
another smaller more decorative tree.
Will it be hard for another tree to grow in that exact same spot
(provided I have the stump well removed)? I have heard stories of how
the pine tree root system stiull grows for years after tree actually
gone and that the super high acidity level from the pine tree may
remain for quite some time.

Any thought?

Thanks
Todd in Cincinnati

It may spring up little trees but those are easily removed & eventually
it'll give up. I wonder if you've considered the possibility of keeping
the stump as a decorative element. There are vacciniums & other sorts of
shrubs that thrive in the immediate vincinity of a slowly rotting stump; &
it's nice to have a place where "shelf mushrooms" will take hold. Stumps
can be SO decorative that people even buy fake stumps to sit in their
yards, even though they always look fake, or hollow out a fireplace
"round" & sit it in their garden as a fern planter. (I have a fireplace
round sitting on the edge of a shade garden & it now has shelf mushrooms
on one side, which always catch visitors' attention.) You have the chance
to possess the real thing, not a fake stump. A new tree can still be
planted very near the same spot. I don't know if it's the same with pines,
but around here, fir stumps & deadfall naturally become "mothers" with new
firs self-selecting to grow nearly in the same spot, sometimes enwrapping
the decaying remnant of the mother in nutrient-seeking roots.

I have an old twisty chokecherry tree that is near the end of its life.
One thing that makes it almost tolerable to realize I will eventually have
to remove it before it splits open at its rotted heart & falls in some
uncontrolled manner -- is that I can keep part of it as a three-way stump.

Leaving a stump might look inappropriate to a "taylored" style of yard
maintenance, but in my woodland-style gardening a stump would be an asset,
both for types of plants that live around decaying stumps & deadfall, &
because stumps actually are beautiful.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 24-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Cdonahey41

Try digging out part of the log, even adding a bit of soil. I established
kenilworth ivy on part a pine log last year. I hope it covers this year. I had
the log for awhile, so it was already starting to rot. If you cut or drill out
a space and add a little soil, the process goes faster.