Old 19-02-2003, 03:03 PM
J Dubb

Default Compost Pile / Barrel

I am interested in starting a compost pile for my 12x6 garden, flowerbed,
and 5 small trees. I want to build or purchase something that is efficient
in decomposition and somewhat pleasing to the eye. Any recommendations that
you can offer in something suitable for my use is much appreciated? Thanks
for your time. Happy Gardening.

A Georgetown TX Green Thumb

Old 19-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Jonathan Sachs

I hate to discourage anyone interested in composting, but efficient
composting requires a large enough mass to build up internal heat.
Half a cubic yard or so is a minimum. You probably don't have enough
space for that, and you certainly don't have enough raw material.

Your best bet is to buy a the vinyl composting bin of the type sold at
many garden centers and home improvement stores. It will contain the
materials, which is both a sanitary and aesthetic advantage when space
is limited, and it might accelerate decomposition a little by
providing thermal insulation. But be prepared for a composting process
that takes six to twelve months.

Send email to jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.
Old 20-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:57:04 -0600, J Dubb wrote:
I am interested in starting a compost pile for my 12x6 garden, flowerbed,
and 5 small trees. I want to build or purchase something that is efficient
in decomposition and somewhat pleasing to the eye. Any recommendations that
you can offer in something suitable for my use is much appreciated? Thanks
for your time. Happy Gardening.

I'd suggest, since you've a small garden area and probably not enough
vegetable matter to compost efficiently, that you use your compostables
for "sheet composting" or mulching. This will *not* do anything about
disease organisms (the compost won't be hot enough to get the internal temp
up), but you will have the great advantage of adding organic matter to your
soil. Simplest method is just to lay the compostables out on the ground;
second easiest is to scuff a trench with a heel, lay in the compostables and
cover it back up, tidiest is probably to dig a trench between rows, gradually
filling and covering the trench.

Kay Lancaster

[IMG] code is On

Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Texas 1 28-02-2003 04:26 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Lawns 1 22-02-2003 01:27 AM