Old 19-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Newbie: Growing chillies indoors

"sprocket" wrote in message
Sorry if this has been aksed before - I have searched google for similar
posts but nothing has come up - sorry for missing anything that should

have.

I recently bought a mixed variety pack of chilli seeds from Mr Fothergills
online. The seeds have germinated in a cheapo propogator and are now about
Any answers to these questions, and/or general tips for growing these
beauties will be much appreciated !

I think I grew something similar last year so some simple pointers:

When they have a few more leaves ( 4 pairs ) pinch the tips out so that the
plant bushes up. If it gets too tall in a pot it'll just fall over later
especially if some of the chilli varieties are the larger ones for
roasting/stuffing. They like lots of heat and light so the windowsill is
good if it gets good sun. Turn the plants regularly. Feed with tomato feed
once the chillis/peppers have started to form. If they're anything like
mine, they seemed to set fruit without any intervention. Keep them watered
well to get larger fruits. Finally, you can harvest them when green to get
more peppers. If you wait until they go red they aren't hotter but they'll
inhibit the production of more flowers and fruit.

Martin

Old 20-02-2003, 10:51 AM
sprocket

thanks again !

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
"sprocket" wrote in message
Thanks for the tips. What do people mean, exactly, when they say pinch

the
tips for better bushyness ?? I've seen this said a few times but was

never
quite sure exactly what was meant...

The tip of the plant ( where you can see the small new leaves forming ) is
where the growth is concentrated. By pinching the tip you can cut this bit
off. The plant then redirects its efforts to grow branches. If you look at
the base of each of the lower leaves where they join the main stem you can
sometimes see the pair of small leaves ready to start growing. They will
naturally start anyway when the main shoot is too tall and it is hard for
the plant to pump the fluids up that high but by pinching out the tip

sooner
you start the branches sooner and you get a bushy plant. You can keep

doing
this by pinching out the tips of the branches when they are 4 pairs of
leaves long as well but I wouldn't do this here because each time you do

it
you also pinch off potential flowers/chillies. It then takes longer before
new flowers form and if they form too late then they won't have time to

form
ripe chillies before the end of the summer.

Martin