transplanting asparagus

Old 17-03-2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default transplanting asparagus

I want to transplant "wild" asparagus from near my house into my
garden. I was planning to move some 2-4 weeks before the expected
last frost (end of April here), which is when you're supposed to plant
commercial crowns, but with the recent high temperatures in New Mexico
(including some records this past week), what do I see but little
spears? Does that mean it's too late to transplant till fall?

(I did move a couple of plants during a warm spell in winter, and
you'll be happy to hear that at least one of them is sprouting. I
wonder where I put the other one.)

--
Jerry Friedman

Old 17-03-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to transplant "wild" asparagus from near my house into my
garden.

Here's some info that's probably more than you ever wanted to know but the
detailed instructions may just be useful to you.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/608665/

Val

Old 18-03-2007, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 17, 3:47 pm, "Val" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I want to transplant "wild" asparagus from near my house into my
garden.

Here's some info that's probably more than you ever wanted to know but the
detailed instructions may just be useful to you.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/608665/

Thanks. There used to be an easier-to-read version of that
somewhere. It doesn't answer my question, though. Apparently anyone
with any sense transplants asparagus while it's dormant. I was hoping
someone around here had made the same mistake I made and had some
experience with transplanting asparagus that had just broken out of
dormancy.

--
Jerry Friedman

Old 18-03-2007, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was hoping
someone around here had made the same mistake I made and had some
experience with transplanting asparagus that had just broken out of
dormancy.

--
Jerry Friedman

I "Googled" transplanting wild asparagus. Got thousands of hits and there's
loads of info, much of which was about moving non dormant plants. The
internet isn't just for newsgroups anymore
To sum it up in easy to understand vernacular..........don't. If you've
already moved it wait to see if any survive, if they don't try it again at
the proper time.

Val

Old 20-03-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 18, 1:27 pm, "Val" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I was hoping
someone around here had made the same mistake I made and had some
experience with transplanting asparagus that had just broken out of
dormancy.

--
JerryFriedman

I "Googled" transplanting wild asparagus. Got thousands of hits and there's
loads of info, much of which was about moving non dormant plants. The
internet isn't just for newsgroups anymore
To sum it up in easy to understand vernacular..........don't. If you've
already moved it wait to see if any survive, if they don't try it again at
the proper time.

You must have a lot more patience than I do, since I just tried your
search and looked at a number of pages without finding anything so
explicit. (Naturally, I'd looked before, though without the word
"wild".) Anyway, I've followed your retroactive advice, and I can
tell you the one in my garden hasn't died yet. :-) (Some others are
in a friend's garden.)

Incidentally, some of the pages say this is really hard and you have
to get roots at least a foot long and stuff like that. But the plant
I moved in winter that sprouted probably didn't have roots even six
inches long after I dug it up in my usual clumsy and impatient way.
On the other hand, the other one I moved may have died. Maybe a 50%
success rate isn't good enough for some people.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

--
Jerry Friedman