Old 20-03-2007, 03:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,red.food.preserving,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,rec.birds

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Maple Syrup

It's that time of year again. We have made maple syrup and sometimes
wine every year since we have lived out here. This year we tapped 23
Silver Maple trees and just started collecting the sap.

js

Old 20-03-2007, 03:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,red.food.preserving,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,rec.birds

Jack Schmidling wrote:

It's that time of year again. We have made maple syrup and sometimes
wine every year since we have lived out here. This year we tapped 23
Silver Maple trees and just started collecting the sap.

I find it odd to see sap being collected with no snow on the ground.

I was 7 years old when I saw syrup being made (and enjoyed the candy
made by drizzling it on the snow) and that early impression has been
with me 66 years. The sap came to the steam shed in vats on sledges.
Lifting the buckets off the spiles and over the edge of the vat was
heavy work. Pulling the sledge was too. I only collected from the near
trees. There were two larger vats on the sledge used to collect from the
more remote ones. That one was horse drawn. Smart horse, too. He would
just walk up to the next bucket and stop, wait until it was back on the
spile, then move on. Any machine that could do that today would be
called a robot.

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Old 21-03-2007, 10:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:21:53 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 3/20/07 10:33 AM, in article ,
"Jerry Avins" wrote:

Jack Schmidling wrote:

[...]

I was thrilled when my New England hostess took me to the sugaring,
maybe 10 years ago. Now I would finally get to see buckets nailed to
trees in the story-book fashion! But this farmer used plastic tubes
snaking from the trees to collecting tubes, etc. There were a few
buckets-nailed-to-trees, but not many.

Didn't have a chance to see sap drawn on the snow in spirals, freezing
into candy, like the story whose name I can't recall. Same problem as
earlier message; no snow. But it was a kick anyway.

I had maple snow once as a kid - loved it. Real maple beats the junk on the
supermarket shelves blindfolded and both hands tied behind it's back.

You got that right!!! Here (So.Cal) I get my maple syrup at Trader
Joe. Much cheaper than health food/organic stores for same syrup.

Persephone

Old 21-03-2007, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/21/07 5:18 AM, in article
, "Persephone" Persephone
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:21:53 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 3/20/07 10:33 AM, in article
,
"Jerry Avins" wrote:

Jack Schmidling wrote:

[...]

Have you tried maple sugar candy? Good stuff.

Old 21-03-2007, 01:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Jack Schmidling expounded:

It's that time of year again. We have made maple syrup and sometimes
wine every year since we have lived out here. This year we tapped 23
Silver Maple trees and just started collecting the sap.

Plastic sap sacks - somehow that just ain't right. Otherwise very
nice photos!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

[IMG] code is On

Vermont Maple Syrup Potpourri - 25 % Off! [email protected] Gardening 8 02-04-2008 06:06 PM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Maple Syrup II Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 10 31-03-2007 02:12 AM
DD Maple Syrup commercial question Tomes Lawns 4 06-02-2007 03:18 AM
Maple syrup Srgnt Billko Lawns 9 05-02-2007 11:11 PM
Sugar Maple And Syrup Questions Bro Jack Gardening 4 29-05-2005 02:06 PM