Old 01-04-2007, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dormant rose in package

We bought some dormant rose bushes from a store that are in a plastic
package.
They had some leaves on them when we purchased them. Should they be
kept watered?
It will be another two months before we can plant them.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 1 Apr 2007 08:55:32 -0700, "MizzGail" wrote:

We bought some dormant rose bushes from a store that are in a plastic
package.
They had some leaves on them when we purchased them. Should they be
kept watered?
It will be another two months before we can plant them.

They should not be selling them so early. But being the case, you
will need to pot them up. Get a few five gallon containers or even
three gallon will work. Make a pyramid shape with the soil in the
container and splay the roots of the rose around it, then fill it in
with more potting mix. Just make sure the soil is touching all the
roots. Where do you live? Roses are pretty sturdy, you may be able
to plant them now.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 1 Apr 2007 08:55:32 -0700, MizzGail wrote:
We bought some dormant rose bushes from a store that are in a plastic
package.
They had some leaves on them when we purchased them. Should they be
kept watered?
It will be another two months before we can plant them.

I'd plant them in a big pot (with drainage), perhaps 2-3 gallons, and
keep them watered and fertilized this summer. Plant next fall as the
temps start to cool down.

It's very doubtful they'll survive bare rooted till then.

Kay

Old 02-04-2007, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 1, 11:55 am, "MizzGail" wrote:
We bought some dormant rose bushes from a store that are in a plastic
package.
They had some leaves on them when we purchased them. Should they be
kept watered?
It will be another two months before we can plant them.

Unless you are in zone 5 or lower you can plant those roses now. If
you are moving and can't access your new plot I'd suggest donating
them to a neighbor as a parting gift to remember you by.

Mike

Old 06-04-2007, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 2, 10:08 am, "immike" wrote:
On Apr 1, 11:55 am, "MizzGail" wrote:

We bought some dormant rose bushes from a store that are in a plastic
package.
They had some leaves on them when we purchased them. Should they be
kept watered?
It will be another two months before we can plant them.

Unless you are in zone 5 or lower you can plant those roses now. If
you are moving and can't access your new plot I'd suggest donating
them to a neighbor as a parting gift to remember you by.

Mike

We are in Central New York. There is still snow on the ground. I doubt
we can plant them right now. I'm more looking for advise on how to
care for them still in the package until we can plant them. The
package only give planting instructions, not care until you plant them.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

if the packages arent open put them in your refrigerator or any other dark unheated
place that isnt outright freezing. Ingrid

"MizzGail" wrote:
We are in Central New York. There is still snow on the ground. I doubt
we can plant them right now. I'm more looking for advise on how to
care for them still in the package until we can plant them. The
package only give planting instructions, not care until you plant them.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

[IMG] code is On

2x PIONEER CDJ-1000MK3 & 1x DJM-800 MIXER DJ PACKAGE.........$1000 seeme11 Marketplace 0 11-12-2008 06:52 PM
Dormant Spray/Oil? was Maryland roses R & L Porter Roses 3 01-02-2005 06:39 PM
How to wake up a dormant two dormant spike! Claude Orchids 0 23-01-2004 04:06 PM
Dormant spray R & L Porter Roses 6 10-02-2003 03:55 PM
How, when and why to apply dormant spray. Allegra Roses 2 09-02-2003 10:55 PM