Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Plz identify this plant/weed (I think it's tomatillo)

Last year I had some tomatillos planted in the center of a tomato/pepper
patch, and I planted them so close together I could not get to the
tomatillos. I didn't harvest any from them, and I'm guessing several dozen
or more fruits dropped and rotted on the ground. This year, I have in that
one area only, hundreds of little plants growing. I thought at first they
were weeds, but they only grow in this one area, and now that they are
getting bigger, they look very suspicisously like baby tomatillos. Here is a
pic:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8976.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8978.jpg

This is a real tomatillo that I planted:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8957.jpg

I don't recognize a weed that looks like that - I've started to think that
they are indeed tomatillos from last year. And there are literally hundreds
and hundreds of them!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in
:

[...]

That's how I got cherry tomatoes the second year after I threw the old
plant in my fire pit. By spring there were doezens of baby plants just
waiting to be transplanted.

Ditto with pumpkins, too. I cannot get rid of these things.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/7/07 6:50 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

[...]

Tough problem to have

My neighbor had a dog that love graped tomatoes. Things sprung up all over
the place.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 6/7/07 6:50 AM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in
:

Last year I had some tomatillos planted in the center of a
tomato/pepper patch, and I planted them so close together I could
not get to the tomatillos. I didn't harvest any from them, and I'm
guessing several dozen or more fruits dropped and rotted on the
ground. This year, I have in that one area only, hundreds of little
plants growing. I thought at first they were weeds, but they only
grow in this one area, and now that they are getting bigger, they
look very suspicisously like baby tomatillos. Here is a pic:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...es/DSCF8976.jp
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...es/DSCF8978.jp

This is a real tomatillo that I planted:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...es/DSCF8957.jp

I don't recognize a weed that looks like that - I've started to
think that they are indeed tomatillos from last year. And there are
literally hundreds and hundreds of them!

That's how I got cherry tomatoes the second year after I threw the
old plant in my fire pit. By spring there were doezens of baby
plants just waiting to be transplanted.

Ditto with pumpkins, too. I cannot get rid of these things.

Tough problem to have

But they don't grow where I want them to grow and if I tranplant them
(out of the fire pit, for example) then they don't grow at all.

My neighbor had a dog that love graped tomatoes. Things sprung up all
over the place.

Ew. Don't eat those termatters!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/7/07 7:53 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 6/7/07 6:50 AM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

[...]

Since they are still sprouting 3 years after the dog passed, I imagine they
are safe enough...

Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

Ditto with pumpkins, too. I cannot get rid of these things.

I'll take some if you don't want them ;-)

Old 08-06-2007, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in news:6yV9i.17819$Ut6.997
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

Ditto with pumpkins, too. I cannot get rid of these things.

I'll take some if you don't want them ;-)

Only if you take a truckload of horse manure with them. It's mandatory.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

Only if you take a truckload of horse manure with them. It's mandatory.

Don't have a truck, would a garden cartload work? We get compost from the
chicken/rabbit/geese droppings that might help supplement.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in news:iW2ai.1984$tb6.58
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

Only if you take a truckload of horse manure with them. It's mandatory.

Don't have a truck, would a garden cartload work? We get compost from the
chicken/rabbit/geese droppings that might help supplement.

No, you need a truck. Possibly a semi. I have a draft horse. He makes
LOTS of manure.

Hourly.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

No, you need a truck. Possibly a semi. I have a draft horse. He makes
LOTS of manure.

Hourly.

Crap(um I just realized that wasn't the best word to use)...there are lots
of truckers around here, but I have no idea how to drive a semi, so that's
out. What kind of draft horse? Clydesdale?

Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/7/07 11:04 PM, in article
t, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

No, you need a truck. Possibly a semi. I have a draft horse. He makes
LOTS of manure.

Hourly.

Crap(um I just realized that wasn't the best word to use)...there are lots
of truckers around here, but I have no idea how to drive a semi, so that's
out. What kind of draft horse? Clydesdale?

Oh thank you, I needed the laugh. It was a crappy day yesterday and today
will be as bad.

AND

I dearly wish I knew some one with a horse that would give me manure...

Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 6/7/07 11:04 PM, in article
t, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

No, you need a truck. Possibly a semi. I have a draft horse. He makes
LOTS of manure.

Hourly.

Crap(um I just realized that wasn't the best word to use)...there are
lots
of truckers around here, but I have no idea how to drive a semi, so
that's
out. What kind of draft horse? Clydesdale?

Oh thank you, I needed the laugh. It was a crappy day yesterday and today
will be as bad.

AND

I dearly wish I knew some one with a horse that would give me manure...

well.................................
we have 9 horses now and 5 cows.........
but we in NC!!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
nk.net:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

No, you need a truck. Possibly a semi. I have a draft horse. He
makes LOTS of manure.

Hourly.

Crap(um I just realized that wasn't the best word to use)...there are
lots of truckers around here, but I have no idea how to drive a semi,
so that's out. What kind of draft horse? Clydesdale?

He's a PMU foal: Shire/Belgiun cross. About 1700# of manure maker. See
him here in the HORSES folder:
http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd

The little horses are just lawn decorations.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
.. .

He's a PMU foal: Shire/Belgiun cross. About 1700# of manure maker. See
him here in the HORSES folder:http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd

The little horses are just lawn decorations.

Oh FW I enjoyed seeing your horses so much, and also your
beautiful deerhounds (dear-hounds?) Thanks
Emilie

Old 10-06-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

mleblanca wrote in news:1181362419.762305.26780
@g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
.. .

He's a PMU foal: Shire/Belgiun cross. About 1700# of manure maker. See
him here in the HORSES folder:http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd

The little horses are just lawn decorations.

Oh FW I enjoyed seeing your horses so much, and also your
beautiful deerhounds (dear-hounds?) Thanks
Emilie

Thanks, Emilie, I like showing them off, too. And my Deerie is my dearie.