GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Getting rid of the grass and putting in draught resistant plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/159626-getting-rid-grass-putting-draught-resistant-plants.html)

[email protected] 05-06-2007 09:02 PM

Getting rid of the grass and putting in draught resistant plants

Hi all,
I'd like to remove the grass from the strip between our sidewalk and
the street and replace it with a series of draught resistant plants.
The new townhouses across the street have this arrangement and it
looks nice. The plants are like small shrubs or sprouts of grasses.
I don't want ground cover but just a dotting of plants with the rest
of the space (probably 5'x9') with some type of bark. The space is
currently filled with grass that we don't take care of and generally
looks bad.

So-What do I need to do to get rid of the grass and prepare the soil
for planting of our gorgeous new drought resistant plants?

Any other advice?

Buderschnookie[_2_] 05-06-2007 09:07 PM

Getting rid of the grass and putting in draught resistant plants

wrote in message
ups.com...

So-What do I need to do to get rid of the grass and prepare the soil
for planting of our gorgeous new drought resistant plants?

Either a shovel, sodcutter, or a gallon of Round-Up.

Any other advice?

Get ready to pull weeds :)

If we knew where you were someone might recommend some nice xeriscaping
plants or suggest soil ammendments- without that info there's not much use.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

William Wagner 05-06-2007 09:44 PM

Getting rid of the grass and putting in draught resistant plants

In article . com,
wrote:

Hi all,
I'd like to remove the grass from the strip between our sidewalk and
the street and replace it with a series of draught resistant plants.
The new townhouses across the street have this arrangement and it
looks nice. The plants are like small shrubs or sprouts of grasses.
I don't want ground cover but just a dotting of plants with the rest
of the space (probably 5'x9') with some type of bark. The space is
currently filled with grass that we don't take care of and generally
looks bad.

So-What do I need to do to get rid of the grass and prepare the soil
for planting of our gorgeous new drought resistant plants?

Any other advice?

Take a walk about your neighborhood and if you see some thing you like
ask about it. You may have to visit nearby communities but this a
challenge that can be viewed as fun.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Carl 1 Lucky Texan 05-06-2007 11:25 PM

wrote:

Hi all,
I'd like to remove the grass from the strip between our sidewalk and
the street and replace it with a series of draught resistant plants.
The new townhouses across the street have this arrangement and it
looks nice. The plants are like small shrubs or sprouts of grasses.
I don't want ground cover but just a dotting of plants with the rest
of the space (probably 5'x9') with some type of bark. The space is
currently filled with grass that we don't take care of and generally
looks bad.

So-What do I need to do to get rid of the grass and prepare the soil
for planting of our gorgeous new drought resistant plants?

Any other advice?

Cut and fit some old, busted down cardboard boxes. Wet them down. Cover
with an inch or 2 (at least) of 2 or more types of compost (cow and
chicken say - or sheep and mushroom, the more different types the
better), water, then put some mulch down - maybea few inches. Then
either wait till next spring to pull some mulch back and plant(make a
hole right through the cardboard for bulbs/plants), or plant some bulbs
this fall - whatever. That's one of several approaches I guess. I'm sure
others here can help. try
www.davesgarden.com for a Forum of folks in
your area - they can help. And, as suggested, let us know what city
you're in.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

[email protected] 05-06-2007 11:35 PM

On Jun 5, 1:02 pm, wrote:
Hi all,
I'd like to remove thegrassfrom the strip between our sidewalk and
the street and replace it with a series of draughtresistantplants.
The new townhouses across the street have this arrangement and it
looks nice. The plants are like small shrubs or sprouts of grasses.
I don't want ground cover but just a dotting of plants with the rest
of the space (probably 5'x9') with some type of bark. The space is
currently filled withgrassthat we don't take care of and generally
looks bad.

So-What do I need to do to get rid of thegrassand prepare the soil
for planting of our gorgeous newdroughtresistantplants?

Any other advice?

Hey all-I'm in Seattle-sorry to not include that info.

Buderschnookie[_2_] 06-06-2007 12:05 AM

Getting rid of the grass and putting in draught resistant plants

Charlie wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:07:11 -0400, "Buderschnookie"
wrote:

Either a shovel, sodcutter, or a gallon of Round-Up.

A friggin' *gallon*? He said a strip of yard.
Do you know how many acres of land you can poison with one gallon of
Roundup, assuming concentrate?

I guess tongue in cheek doesn't translate well to Usenet :)
The armstrong method works for me.

-Toni

JoeSpareBedroom 06-06-2007 12:16 PM

Getting rid of the grass and putting in draught resistant plants

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,
I'd like to remove the grass from the strip between our sidewalk and
the street and replace it with a series of draught resistant plants.
The new townhouses across the street have this arrangement and it
looks nice. The plants are like small shrubs or sprouts of grasses.
I don't want ground cover but just a dotting of plants with the rest
of the space (probably 5'x9') with some type of bark. The space is
currently filled with grass that we don't take care of and generally
looks bad.

So-What do I need to do to get rid of the grass and prepare the soil
for planting of our gorgeous new drought resistant plants?

Any other advice?

Why would plants want to resist beer?

Carl 1 Lucky Texan 06-06-2007 12:25 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi all,
I'd like to remove the grass from the strip between our sidewalk and
the street and replace it with a series of draught resistant plants.
The new townhouses across the street have this arrangement and it
looks nice. The plants are like small shrubs or sprouts of grasses.
I don't want ground cover but just a dotting of plants with the rest
of the space (probably 5'x9') with some type of bark. The space is
currently filled with grass that we don't take care of and generally
looks bad.

So-What do I need to do to get rid of the grass and prepare the soil
for planting of our gorgeous new drought resistant plants?

Any other advice?

Why would plants want to resist beer?

to avoid Leaf HOPpers?

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Buderschnookie[_2_] 06-06-2007 03:27 PM

Getting rid of the grass and putting in draught resistant plants

Charlie wrote in message

Oopsie. On my part as well. Part of the fun. ;-)

Oh well, no harm, no foul as they say....don't they?

Nice ta' meetcha!

Here's a very brief outline of my own personal garden philosophy...
http://www.cearbhaill.com/Philosophy.htm

--
Toni
Zone 6b

raycruzer 08-06-2007 05:23 AM

On Jun 5, 1:02 pm, wrote:
Hi all,
I'd like to remove the grass from the strip between our sidewalk and
the street and replace it with a series of draught resistant plants.
The new townhouses across the street have this arrangement and it
looks nice. The plants are like small shrubs or sprouts of grasses.
I don't want ground cover but just a dotting of plants with the rest
of the space (probably 5'x9') with some type of bark. The space is
currently filled with grass that we don't take care of and generally
looks bad.

So-What do I need to do to get rid of the grass and prepare the soil
for planting of our gorgeous new drought resistant plants?

Any other advice?

Your quest is generally referred to as lawn conversion or lawn
conversion to native plants. You will find some helpful tips by
searching for these keywords through your favorite search engine.

You can also search for a native plant nursery in your area. I'm sure
you will find a few where you live. They will provide the most helpful
advice and show you samples of which native plants are available in
your area.

You will have to work a little to get it started, but you will save in
labor and expense after a year or so.

Best of luck!

------
At peace with weeds!

Bob F 09-06-2007 04:40 AM

Getting rid of the grass and putting in draught resistant plants

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 5, 1:02 pm, wrote:
Hi all,
I'd like to remove thegrassfrom the strip between our sidewalk and
the street and replace it with a series of draughtresistantplants.
The new townhouses across the street have this arrangement and it
looks nice. The plants are like small shrubs or sprouts of
grasses.
I don't want ground cover but just a dotting of plants with the
rest
of the space (probably 5'x9') with some type of bark. The space is
currently filled withgrassthat we don't take care of and generally
looks bad.

So-What do I need to do to get rid of thegrassand prepare the soil
for planting of our gorgeous newdroughtresistantplants?

Any other advice?

Hey all-I'm in Seattle-sorry to not include that info.

My recommendation is to rent a sod cutter. Cut and remove (compost)
the sod, leaving you with the most weed seed free plot to garden. Most
of the weed seeds will be on or in the sod, so they will be removed
with it.

There are huge numbers of plants you could choose. Rhodys and azalias
are always popular in Seattle. Go visit a quality nursery near you and
see what they recommend. Just find an "expert" there and see what they
suggest, or look around your neighborhood. Take pictures of what you
like to the nursery. If you are near NW Seattle, Swansons on 15th NW
is a good place.

Any area with just bark will either need chemical treatment or
constant weeding to keep the weeds down. If you put a water permeable
weed barrier under the bark, the weeds will at least pull out easily
most of the time. With a thick enough layer, they will usually pull OK
even without the barrier.

Bob

FragileWarrior 10-06-2007 12:35 AM

Getting rid of the grass and putting in draught resistant plants

"Bob F" wrote in
:

My recommendation is to rent a sod cutter.

Are sod cutters hard to use? Do they take a lot of strength, I mean.