Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Reliable used pick-up trucks

I know this isn't quite a garden question, but it is related. And I
wanted to draw upon the sizeable collective wisdom of this group.

I am looking to buy a small to medium used pick-up truck between now
and next May. I've only got about $3,000 to $4,000 to spend, but I'm
hoping to squeeze about five good years out of this truck until I can
get a good full-time job.

I've heard Toyota Tacomas are good trucks, but those seem kind of
expensive, even in the 1996-1997 model years. Ford Rangers look
pretty
good, but I don't know how reliable they are.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:42:21 -0000, breaksthenews
wrote:

I know this isn't quite a garden question, but it is related. And I
wanted to draw upon the sizeable collective wisdom of this group.

I am looking to buy a small to medium used pick-up truck between now
and next May. I've only got about $3,000 to $4,000 to spend, but I'm
hoping to squeeze about five good years out of this truck until I can
get a good full-time job.

I've heard Toyota Tacomas are good trucks, but those seem kind of
expensive, even in the 1996-1997 model years. Ford Rangers look
pretty
good, but I don't know how reliable they are.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

There are truck conferences you can check. The word "reliable" and
"used" should not be in the same sentence. When buying a vehicle
over 5+ years set aside $3000 for repairs. Tacomas hold value longer
than Ford Rangers, and they do have better reliability. Look for less
than 50,000 miles. One less repair with a 2-wheel drive (if you can
find one). The Honda truck is well-built (but ugly). Stay away from
Dodge and Chevy or any vehicle driven by a teen. Spend $200 for a
mechanic look-over. Check repos at credit unions/banks.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

breaksthenews expounded:

I've heard Toyota Tacomas are good trucks, but those seem kind of
expensive, even in the 1996-1997 model years. Ford Rangers look
pretty
good, but I don't know how reliable they are.

Tacomas are awesome (hubby has a 1998) but I love my Ready Ranger.
It's a 2001, and I drive it daily. It's been very reliable. I think
I have about 98,000 on it right now.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 07-07-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 6, 2:42 pm, breaksthenews wrote:
I know this isn't quite a garden question, but it is related. And I
wanted to draw upon the sizeable collective wisdom of this group.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

look at my reply in the other group.

for those here. my 1986 F150 died finaly at 200k+ miles(might be 300,
old odometer)

i'd fix it, but i got my $400(plus $1000 in mechanic work) out of it.
looking at another F150

Old 07-07-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:42:21 -0000, breaksthenews
wrote:

snip

My boys have had two Rangers, yeah I know, they were teenagers.

Both trucks rolled when they slid into ditches, yeah, I know, they were
teenagers.

One was an '86 Ranger, the other was a '93 ranger. Don't know if they
have changed the wheel base width since then or not, but they were
narrow enough and top heavy enough that they rolled when a wider truck
likely wouldn't have.

Pretty cramped if you have any size to you.

Older Yoders (toyotas) are still going around these parts, even some
mid to late eighties models, with going on and over two hundred
thousand on them. Kinda rusty, but Joe Bageant would love 'em.

Charlie

my step-dad and i love his little ranger. my mom & sis do too. man, if i
could only fit two car seats in it. I had a chevy s-10 extended cab
limited edition '97. loved that thing too. lost it when a car
side-swiped me and sent me flying. flipped 6 times, it's a wonder i
lived.........

oh yeah, i was a teenager then too.

rae

Old 07-07-2007, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

If you find an '80 Datsun, jump on it. You'd have to drive a stake
through the cylinder block to kill it.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
Charlie expounded:

My boys have had two Rangers, yeah I know, they were teenagers.

Both trucks rolled when they slid into ditches, yeah, I know, they were
teenagers.

One was an '86 Ranger, the other was a '93 ranger. Don't know if they
have changed the wheel base width since then or not, but they were
narrow enough and top heavy enough that they rolled when a wider truck
likely wouldn't have.

I have never, ever heard of anyone having problems with rolling
Rangers. Methinks they were driving a bit too fast.....

Pretty cramped if you have any size to you.

Well, I'll have to disagree. I have the extended cab (but still two
doors), and I've had my 6'4" 280 lb husband in the front seat, and my
6'5" and 6' sons in the jump seats. *That* was cramped G

I find there's more room in that Ranger than in hubby's extended cab
Tacoma.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

Yeah I've driven Rangers my whole life, absolutely love those trucks.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't drive an S-10 or Colorado or whatever Chevy calls
them these days. I stick to American vehicles only, but Toyota does make
excellent trucks no doubt about it.
For home repair and light yard detail my Ranger pickup is perfect, the
engine is solid, the bed will hold a 4x8 sheet of drywall or plywood, and it
will haul 10 6x6 treated raised garden bed posts.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/7/07 9:54 AM, in article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message
Charlie expounded:

[...]

I'd be very careful with Ford trucks now. The old maintenance schedule and
the newer ones are hugely different. Spark plugs are now on the schedule at
100K miles. Too bad the spark plugs only last 5OK miles and frequently self
destruct. A lot of the changes are aimed at bringing you in for big buck
repairs instead of scheduled maintenance....

I'm never buying another Ford product once I dump my previously loved F150

Old 07-07-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 21:38:49 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

If you find an '80 Datsun, jump on it. You'd have to drive a stake
through the cylinder block to kill it.

Datsun had their s**t together back in the day. We drove a '76 B210
Hatchback in our early married years until the boys outgrew the
backseat. Sold that little baby with 190,000 on it and stll going
strong. 42 mpg highway.......

Charlie

Had an '80 Datsun. We had 3 vehicles and my sweetie told me we had to
get rid of one. It was the Datsun. Neighbor ladiy got too old and silly
to drive her's (an '80 also) and it sat for 8 years in her drive way,
until she died. Her daughters thought they were getting rid of a piece
of junk and we jumped on it. Boys just gotta have his wagon. I only put
gas and oil into it and it just keeps on truckin'. Don't make em like
this no more.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

I'd be very careful with Ford trucks now. The old maintenance schedule and
the newer ones are hugely different. Spark plugs are now on the schedule at
100K miles. Too bad the spark plugs only last 5OK miles and frequently self
destruct. A lot of the changes are aimed at bringing you in for big buck
repairs instead of scheduled maintenance....

Not to you, Cheryl, but anyone who pays attention to those ridiculous
maintenance schedules deserves to have their vehicle die on them. I'm
still a firm believer in 3,000 mile oil changes and spark plug changes
at around 40K. You're absolutely right, they're trying to get you for
repairs, letting maintenance slip that long will definitely bring in
the business.

As far as using dealers for maintenance, surely you jest! G They
don't call them stealers for nothing.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I've heard Toyota Tacomas are good trucks, but those seem kind of
expensive, even in the 1996-1997 model years. Ford Rangers look
pretty
good, but I don't know how reliable they are.

One was an '86 Ranger, the other was a '93 ranger. Don't know if they
have changed the wheel base width since then or not, but they were
narrow enough and top heavy enough that they rolled when a wider truck
likely wouldn't have.

didnt like the looks of those rangers, same reason. F150 doesnt have
that problem

unless yer a teenager

Old 08-07-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/7/07 9:54 AM, in article
,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message
Charlie expounded:

[...]

You do what makes you feel comfortable, its only a truck, but I have more
confidence in the newer Fords now than I ever have. I won't be getting rid
of my 2000 for another 10 years, unless something expensive finally breaks,
but even then I'll still probably keep it and drive something else to work
and use it for dirty jobs.
The owner's manual is the vehicle's Bible, the person who wrote it knows
more about that particular model than anyone else - including that crusty
mechanic who still works on his Hudson, and it doesn't matter what he
thinks.

As to the maintenance guide, well that's another story. But I hazard every
vehicle in the known universe has plenty of outrageously expensive tips for
you - where do you think the dealer and the manufacturer makes its money?
I've taken a look at the Honda one, not exactly a cheap high by any means!
They're just vehicles, religious belief in one is silly, use what works for
you.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/7/07 12:58 PM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

I'd be very careful with Ford trucks now. The old maintenance schedule and
the newer ones are hugely different. Spark plugs are now on the schedule at
100K miles. Too bad the spark plugs only last 5OK miles and frequently self
destruct. A lot of the changes are aimed at bringing you in for big buck
repairs instead of scheduled maintenance....

Not to you, Cheryl, but anyone who pays attention to those ridiculous
maintenance schedules deserves to have their vehicle die on them. I'm
still a firm believer in 3,000 mile oil changes and spark plug changes
at around 40K. You're absolutely right, they're trying to get you for
repairs, letting maintenance slip that long will definitely bring in
the business.

As far as using dealers for maintenance, surely you jest! G They
don't call them stealers for nothing.

Until this change of management, these guys were great. The service manager
was on top of things and would give a heads up for things that weren't quite
right. And frankly, I assumed the spark plugs were changed at 50K, just like
my Ranger's were. Heck I'm now wondering if the filters were changed or just
blown out. (I paid for the "new filters" option.)

Cheryl

[IMG] code is On

can heavy duty trucks driving on your lawn damage it princess[_2_] Lawns 7 24-07-2013 10:22 AM
Reliable used pick-up trucks breaksthenews Lawns 3 13-07-2007 04:31 AM
Yukas, trucks, bikes and a cat Glittery Gary United Kingdom 2 26-08-2005 05:36 AM
Pickup trucks and ponds Crashj Ponds 1 28-07-2004 12:03 PM
reliable rose nursery Undine Gardening 0 25-01-2003 06:07 PM