Old 13-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Registered User

Default Hedge removal

I ahve a very old Privet hedge that I estimate is about 50 years old. It has been cut back harshly at least 3 times but although it is only 4 feet tall, it has had its day. Sadly I would like to remove the hedge as my neighbours dog uses the now large gaps as access to my garden and I have decided to replace it with a comparatively bland garden fence.
I would like to know it I have to remove the Privet at root level or can I cut if right down to ground level and trat the root to stop regrowth?
Old 17-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel16 View Post
I ahve a very old Privet hedge that I estimate is about 50 years old. It has been cut back harshly at least 3 times but although it is only 4 feet tall, it has had its day. Sadly I would like to remove the hedge as my neighbours dog uses the now large gaps as access to my garden and I have decided to replace it with a comparatively bland garden fence.
I would like to know it I have to remove the Privet at root level or can I cut if right down to ground level and trat the root to stop regrowth?
No-one offereing any answers then?
Old 18-07-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

nigel16 expounded:

nigel16;729624 Wrote:
I ahve a very old Privet hedge that I estimate is about 50 years old. It
has been cut back harshly at least 3 times but although it is only 4
feet tall, it has had its day. Sadly I would like to remove the hedge
as my neighbours dog uses the now large gaps as access to my garden and
I have decided to replace it with a comparatively bland garden fence.
I would like to know it I have to remove the Privet at root level or
can I cut if right down to ground level and trat the root to stop
regrowth?

No-one offereing any answers then?

Nigel, I never saw the first post. You will have to continue to cut
it down until the root peters out. Better to remove it root and all.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 18-07-2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:52:48 +0100, nigel16
wrote:

nigel16;729624 Wrote:
I ahve a very old Privet hedge that I estimate is about 50 years old. It
has been cut back harshly at least 3 times but although it is only 4
feet tall, it has had its day. Sadly I would like to remove the hedge
as my neighbours dog uses the now large gaps as access to my garden and
I have decided to replace it with a comparatively bland garden fence.
I would like to know it I have to remove the Privet at root level or
can I cut if right down to ground level and trat the root to stop
regrowth?

No-one offereing any answers then?

Dig it out with a pick axe.
Old 20-07-2007, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Stump grind

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 21-07-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

nigel16 wrote:

No-one offereing any answers then?

One I paid a kid to dig out, awful job but it was gone.

The long one on the terrace, the kids took out by tying it to the back
of think it was a land cruiser back then; they may have dug around a
little, I don't remember. Nothing ever popped back again from it.

For years I left it in grass, now I have tomatoes there and next year
plan some roses and perennials. I can always grass it over again if I
want. A fence usually means concrete to anchor the posts, am tired of
that in my yard, hard to get out later. Probably most people leave it in.

The guy who used a little tractor to plow the strip for me was concerned
about concrete in post holes. I remembered where they were when we had
a fence, mostly not there. When he was done, I pulled a huge concrete
form out of there that was way older and the wrong shape for the fence
posts I ahd at the time.

Good riddance.