Old 22-07-2007, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pampas Grass -

We heard it for about 3 minutes and then it stopped. Has anyone else
ever heard this kind of noise coming from their pampas grass? What kind of
critter is it and what do I treat my pampas grass with to kill whatever
it is?

Donna/N.C.

It is too common with trees and plants that people desire to kill things
they do not understand. Why not request information on how to give whatever
it is a higher quality of life? How about a better understanding? If we go
around trying to give things we do not understand a higher quality life,
maybe our life will become a more high quality journey. Just something to
think about.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 22-07-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 22, 4:53 pm, "dyork" wrote:
I have some Pampas Grass my back yard and I've noticed when I walk past it I
can hear an occasional popping noise. Well yesterday we were on my back
screened in porch and it sounded like popcorn popping coming from the pampas
grass. We heard it for about 3 minutes and then it stopped. Has anyone else
ever heard this kind of noise coming from their pampas grass? What kind of
critter is it and what do I treat my pampas grass with to kill whatever it
is?

Donna/N.C.

Donna
Pampas grass in Calif. is notorious for providing housing for rats.

I don't know about the popping sound. But-
Do rats have little electric popcorn poppers?
Take a good look and if you see a little electric cord...........

Emilie
(who really doesn't know, but rats really do like PG.

Old 22-07-2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

I would suspect that the seed pods were being deployed; does anyone know for
sure that Pampas Grass uses that type of seed dispersal system?
Ken.

"dyork" wrote in message
I have some Pampas Grass my back yard and I've noticed when I walk past it
I can hear an occasional popping noise.

SNIP

Old 22-07-2007, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"dyork" wrote in message

...I have some Pampas Grass my back yard and I've noticed when I walk past it
I can hear an occasional popping noise.

SNIP

good guess, but
No, Pampas Grass has great big fluffy heads, the seed are
wind borne.
Emilie

Old 23-07-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

dyork wrote:
I have some Pampas Grass my back yard and I've noticed when I walk past it I
can hear an occasional popping noise. Well yesterday we were on my back
screened in porch and it sounded like popcorn popping coming from the pampas
grass. We heard it for about 3 minutes and then it stopped. Has anyone else
ever heard this kind of noise coming from their pampas grass? What kind of
critter is it and what do I treat my pampas grass with to kill whatever it
is?

OK, I don't know squat about botany, but I had a huge pampas grass at my
last place & never heard any pops.

If it were my plant, I'd look at it to determine the cause. Have you
searched through the plant to see what's up? Did you yearly trim off the
dead grasses?

When you say you hear it when you walk by, are you implying that the
noise is triggered by your proximity?

I'm interested in this problem. Please search through the plant and
report back what what you find. As to the poster who said pampas grass
houses rats, there are many such plants where I live and I've never
heard of rats in them. They seem to me to be benign plants.

Old 23-07-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've thought about it and.....no....that's not the question I was asking.
I guess there's one in every newsgroup!

Donna

"symplastless" wrote in message
We heard it for about 3 minutes and then it stopped. Has anyone else
ever heard this kind of noise coming from their pampas grass? What kind
of critter is it and what do I treat my pampas grass with to kill
whatever it is?

Donna/N.C.

It is too common with trees and plants that people desire to kill things
they do not understand. Why not request information on how to give
whatever it is a higher quality of life? How about a better
understanding? If we go around trying to give things we do not understand
a higher quality life, maybe our life will become a more high quality
journey. Just something to think about.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 23-07-2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"dyork" wrote:

I've thought about it and.....no....that's not the question I was asking.
I guess there's one in every newsgroup!

Donna

One like "symplastless" or one like you? Here there are a lot
like"symplastless". Find out first what your gonna kill, it might just
be a nesting bird.

--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 23-07-2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"dyork" wrote:

Well I know for a "FACT" that it's NOT a nesting bird!
I come here for some help and all I seem to get is flack.
I always thought newsgroups were supposed to be helpful, but I guess not.

Some of those who have responded to your query have tried to help you to
realize that there may be compassionate alternatives to the killing you
have in mind for whatever is making a noise in your grass. If you
consider that to be flak, then you must be insensitive to the desires of
many gardeners to act as harmoniously with nature as is possible in
achieving their ends. Simply stating your question in a less militant
manner would likely have fostered more useful discussion.

Fearing the unknown and killing that which we do not understand is a
human problem of which many are becoming more acutely aware and weary.
I know you intended no harm in your question, but many of us can be
assumed to be concerned with its apparent thoughtlessness.

Old 23-07-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

dyork wrote:
I have some Pampas Grass my back yard and I've noticed when I walk past it I
can hear an occasional popping noise. Well yesterday we were on my back
screened in porch and it sounded like popcorn popping coming from the pampas
grass. We heard it for about 3 minutes and then it stopped. Has anyone else
ever heard this kind of noise coming from their pampas grass? What kind of
critter is it and what do I treat my pampas grass with to kill whatever it
is?

Donna/N.C.

Here in Texas - grasshoppers are common culprits.

Cheryl
Burleson Co. TX
Zone 8b
Old 23-07-2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"dyork" wrote in message
Well I know for a "FACT" that it's NOT a nesting bird!
I come here for some help and all I seem to get is flack.
I always thought newsgroups were supposed to be helpful, but I guess not.

Donna

It still does not change the fact that "YOU" have to go see what it is. We
can not look for you. First find out what it is then go from there. Just
what are you asking us to do?

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 24-07-2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Cato wrote:
dyork wrote:
I have some Pampas Grass my back yard and I've noticed when I walk
past it I can hear an occasional popping noise. Well yesterday we were
on my back screened in porch and it sounded like popcorn popping
coming from the pampas grass. We heard it for about 3 minutes and then
it stopped. Has anyone else ever heard this kind of noise coming from
their pampas grass? What kind of critter is it and what do I treat my
pampas grass with to kill whatever it is?

Donna/N.C.

Here in Texas - grasshoppers are common culprits.

Cheryl
Burleson Co. TX
Zone 8b

common residents here are crickets, grasshoppers, *frogs*, fireflies,
katydids, sometimes field mice, occasionally a snake....what
animal/bug/possible pest would make a popping sound?!? as the others
have said, you have to look in your grass, then we might can tell how to
treat it, if it is truly a problem. if your pampas grass is thriving,
why would you want to possibly harm it to treat an unknown? chances are,
nothing is actually harming your grass. if you have been hearing this
sound for awhile, you should have noticed if it was affecting your
pampas by now. here the only popping noise we hear in the yards would be
an electric fence when grass/sticks, etc. is on it, or a bug zapper.

rae,
also in nc
Old 27-09-2018, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

replying to dyork, katesgarden wrote:
Hi, I am getting this sound. Did you ever find out what it was?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...ass-66980-.htm

[IMG] code is On

Is pampas grass possible in NE facing garden? Louise United Kingdom 2 07-03-2003 06:49 AM
Pampas grass what do we do with it? code_wrong United Kingdom 6 04-03-2003 09:36 PM
Can Pampas Grass cuttings be put in compost? [email protected] United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 08:10 AM
Pampas Grass Michael United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 10:53 PM
Pampas Grass Barry Watts United Kingdom 3 08-11-2002 11:27 AM