Old 25-07-2007, 02:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Solar landscape lights

Sheldon expounded:

You're WRONG! And everything you subsequently said is pure BS.

No, you are wrong, as usual, Sheldon, and everything you say
subsequently is pure BS.

General delivery rural mail carriers do NOT enter private property,
not even for delivery of certified mail... they will insert a "pick-up
at PO" notification card into the rural mailbox... the pick up card
typically won't say what, just pick-up at PO. USPS rules are the
same in all 50 states. Dave, you are a certifiable idiot.

http://www.usps.com/receive/business...aldelivery.htm

Then why dod the mail deliverers walk up to our doors here and put
parcels on porches? Why do they get out of their cars/trucks and walk
up to knock on the front door to see if we're home to take a certified
or anything we have to sign for? Huh? Could it be, Sheldon, that you
are, as usual, full of shit? Your link proves nothing. Crawl back
under your bridge.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 26-07-2007, 02:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 2007-07-24 02:21:16 -0400, "Walter R." said:

In my experience, solar garden lights last about 2 to 3 years, ma. The
photovoltaic cells deteriorate and the NICAD batteries can stand only so
many charges/discharges.

I removed them and installed 12 V Malibu lights, although I had a long run
to the transformer. They actually provide enough light to see by and their
price compares with the solar lights. Be sure to use 7 or 12 Watt bulbs,
instead of 4 Watt.

Actually the batteries poop out first. Typically they are Nicads which
suck. Replace once a year and you're all set.

Old 26-07-2007, 03:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Dave" wrote:

rural deliverers are not going to enter private property with their
vehicles, in fact they are not going to drive off the roadway

Wrong. With permissions, they will deliver parcels to the private area
specified by that permission.

You're WRONG! And everything you subsequently said is pure BS.

General delivery rural mail carriers do NOT enter private property,
not even for delivery of certified mail... they will insert a "pick-up
at PO" notification card into the rural mailbox... the pick up card
typically won't say what, just pick-up at PO. USPS rules are the
same in all 50 states. Dave, you are a certifiable idiot.

http://www.usps.com/receive/business...aldelivery.htm

Dearest Sheldon,
I live in a rural area. The postal service has a form for specifying
delivery on private property of parcels, rather than holding for pickup.
Mine is the front porch. They usually deliver parcels outside of the
detached garage not visible from the street as I've fenced in the yard
since, and have 2 nice dogs. Sometimes they leave it by the front gate as
Fedex and UPS does. Don't tell the local postal inspector, otherwise I'll
have fill out another form.

Some real life experience goes along way. I didn't look at the weblink as
my personal mail and parcels are not of a business nature indicated by the
weblink. I know both of my rural carriers by first name. They are both
happy that they can put mail in my mailbox from the easement instead from
the road proper. A haven from what little traffic exists.

Oh. The pickup notice. That's normal unless you've filled out the proper
form for delivery to another location on the property.

Sorry to see you don't know how to use a newsreader, Google groups instead.
Your welcome for all the education.
Hope you've taken your medications today.
Dave

Old 26-07-2007, 03:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Dave wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Dave" wrote:
[...]

laughs there goes my dr. pepper....
Old 26-07-2007, 03:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
Sheldon wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
rural deliverers are not going to enter private property with their
vehicles, in fact they are not going to drive off the roadway
Wrong. With permissions, they will deliver parcels to the private area
specified by that permission.

You're WRONG! And everything you subsequently said is pure BS.

turn that finger around mister....

General delivery rural mail carriers do NOT enter private property,
not even for delivery of certified mail... they will insert a "pick-up
at PO" notification card into the rural mailbox... the pick up card
typically won't say what, just pick-up at PO. USPS rules are the
same in all 50 states. Dave, you are a certifiable idiot.

http://www.usps.com/receive/business...aldelivery.htm

yes, they do enter private property, they drive right up to the house and
beep the horn. for people with disabilities, they may even go to the door.

and mailboxes are NOT always beside the roadway. as dave said, in certain
cases, such as elderly or disabled, the physician can issue a letter to
the mail carrier and subsequent office, and request that the box be placed
closer to the door of the home, in an area of the driveway that the mail
carrier can still have access to from the car.

links don't always prove anything.....on this one, it ultimately depends
on the carrier and what they do.

Look at the weblink a bit he/she provided. Its business associated. The
previous part of the thread was about private mail I assumed. (you probably
did too) Well, actually, solar powered landscape lights originally.

Now that I reconsider all said. The person seems to have little control in
his/her life, and, I made the mistake of taking that away in this thread.
My apologies to "Sheldon".

Take care Rachael.
Dave

Old 26-07-2007, 03:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Dave wrote:
Look at the weblink a bit he/she provided. Its business associated. The
previous part of the thread was about private mail I assumed. (you probably
did too) Well, actually, solar powered landscape lights originally.

oh, i saw the link. i knew what the original post was about too....been
following the thread....i just had to back ya on the mail delivery
policies though...

Now that I reconsider all said. The person seems to have little control in
his/her life, and, I made the mistake of taking that away in this thread.
My apologies to "Sheldon".

Take care Rachael.
Dave

you too,
rae
Old 26-07-2007, 05:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Jul 25, 10:02?pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

oups.com...

http://www.usps.com/receive/business...andgeneraldeli...

Dearest Sheldon,
I live in a rural area. The postal service has a form for specifying
delivery on private property of parcels, rather than holding for pickup.
Mine is the front porch.

Parcels are not necessarilly mail, they're freight and delivered by a
separate division of the USPS, tantamount to UPS. Some parcels are
mail, those must fit into teh rural mailbox of there'll be a pick up
card inserted notifying one to come to the PO. I get packages
delivered to my door too but all MAIL goes into my rural mailbox at
the side of the road, in fact in my case it's acoss the road because
that's the direction the postal carrier drives on his route. Once
again for the IQ impaired ALL rural US mail gets delivered to a
properly located/constructed Postmaster approved rural roadside
mailbox , NEVER EVER anywhere else. Handicapped are welcome to obtain
a PO Box. All US post offices have handicapped parking. If someone
is all alone and doesn't drive or is too ill to leave home there are
agencies that can be designated to pick up mail from the PO, ask ones
medical provider, church, town clerk, etc.... but most folks have
family, neighbors and friends who can pick up their mail... but even
if you're dying the rural route carrier will only deliver
roadside[period]

Old 26-07-2007, 05:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

In article ,

On 2007-07-24 02:21:16 -0400, "Walter R." said:

In my experience, solar garden lights last about 2 to 3 years, ma. The
photovoltaic cells deteriorate and the NICAD batteries can stand only so
many charges/discharges.

I removed them and installed 12 V Malibu lights, although I had a long run
to the transformer. They actually provide enough light to see by and their
price compares with the solar lights. Be sure to use 7 or 12 Watt bulbs,
instead of 4 Watt.

Actually the batteries poop out first. Typically they are Nicads which
suck. Replace once a year and you're all set.

You takin' notes Sheldon?

FB - FFF (Raise a Stink)
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 26-07-2007, 02:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:

[...]

I guess your mail carrier isn't your friend either.....

Go ask a physician, RURAL mail boxes can be placed elsewhere under
certain circumstances, all you have to have is a special note or letter
stating the medical problem, be it severe nerve damage of the legs or
any other problem that can cause you to not be able to walk too far, or
simply some other disability or handicap. Then you take that letter to
local PO. They will help you make the arrangements to have your rural
box moved to a better location for you, whether that requires moving the
box across the road or not. I know this, because when working at the
clinic, i constructed several of these letters for patients. It worked
every time.

Not only will your carrier leave parcels in a designated area (you know,
what dave was talking about? the rural form on agreement of where to
leave something that doesn't fit in the box?), but they will leave extra
mail, etc. in that area also. The only exception is something that has
to be signed for. If it's certified/return receipt and you are not home,
then they will try again the next day to deliver it. Then, they will
leave a note stating that you have certified/return receipt mail that
you need to pick up at the local PO.

Our area for delivery when not home is the back-porch, or one of the
other vehicles upon rain. If they leave something in one of the other
vehicles, then there is a note at the door stating so.

Now to clarify, the united states postal service offices do this, not
the parcel service. although the parcel services will leave things at
your home also.

oh, and whoever you give your key to can pick up your mail at the PO
also....you only have to have someone designated upon the possibility of
you needed someone to pick up something that the PO put a slip in your
box for.

oh, while i know that i don't always use the best grammar and tend to
type one handedly due to holding the baby, so my punctuation and caps
aren't always right....your spelling is slipping a little there,
Sheldon. Just thought you should know, since you think you are so perfect!

Take care & make some friends before life is over. It would suck to not
have anyone at your funeral that could call you friend.

Rae
Old 28-07-2007, 05:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Dave" wrote in

[...]

Wow, I guess they would have to shoot my carrier. We have a box at the
street. When we have deliveries, or prelabled packages to be picked up, we
leave an orange placard that says so. In order for the postman to do this,
he has to go beside our garage, open a metal gate, go into a courtyard with
a Lab/Rott mix dog and a Corgi, pick them up, sign the receipt, and leave.
If they're delivering, they just put them there on a table.

We used to do ebay, and at times had ten or fifteen packages there. Every
once in a while, we get a new carrier for a day, and we have to help them
through the process, but not ONE has refused to pick up or leave in the side
yard. We still get and send a lot of packages, and no problems.

Yeah, right. We're going to leave ten packages at the curb until the
postman comes.

Hope the gummint don't find out about this.

Steve

Old 10-08-2007, 06:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Jul 23, 10:53 pm, "M.Paul" wrote:
"Tony Tung" wrote in message

A couple years ago, we installed solar landscape lights. Thanks to a
fortuitous geographic location, they work relatively well (i.e., they
light up well past midnight). My problem is that they're too fragile. I
have them installed along the walkway and along the driveway, and about
half of them have been broken in half by a opening car door or a misstep.

I'm looking for a durable set of lights that don't have any cheap plastic
connectors between the post and the light. Anyone have a product to
recommend?

Thanks!
Tony

If they are like the cheap hollow plastic ones that I got at the Borg here
is what worked for me. I pounded a length of rebar into the ground and slid
the hollow lightpost over it.

Hi Tony,

I am responding to your google topic resspond on finding durable
casing quality for solar lights. I have on hand a wide variety of
solar lights with durable casing quality.

It is not cheap plastic but thick layer of weather proof plastic. To
break it would mean you take a big hammer and start knocking on it
repeatedly which I would doubt so.

Do take a look at the 2 URLs below for the 2 different range.

http://sg.auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i::253212790

http://sg.auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i::254849110

Regards,

VIs

Old 10-08-2007, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Jul 26, 12:38?am, Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,

On 2007-07-24 02:21:16 -0400, "Walter R." said:

In my experience, solar garden lights last about 2 to 3 years, ma. The
photovoltaic cells deteriorate and the NICAD batteries can stand only so
many charges/discharges.

I removed them and installed 12 V Malibu lights, although I had a long run
to the transformer. They actually provide enough light to see by and their
price compares with the solar lights. Be sure to use 7 or 12 Watt bulbs,
instead of 4 Watt.

Actually the batteries poop out first. Typically they are Nicads which
suck. Replace once a year and you're all set.

You takin' notes Sheldon?

Solar garden lamps cost very little, typically $15. Mine have been
working perfectly for more than four years now. Low voltage lamps are
fine too, but they do not lend themselves for setting any distance
from an AC electrical source. I'm guessing that you don't believe in
batterys because you're afflicted with CCBD (ChronicCheap *******
Disease), that all the remotes for your TVs are plug-ins, and you
start your automobile by rolling it down a hill. Are you taking
notes, Pinhead Billy.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 2007-07-24 02:21:16 -0400, "Walter R." said:

[...]

The only thing solar garden lights are good for is to indicate the sides
of walkways, like airport runway lights indicate the sides of the runway
for aircraft. They provide very little illumination for anything other
than showing that you should walk between them. You should carry a
flashlight in case there is an obstacle on the walk.
All of the solar lights I have bought suffered the same problems. After
a few years, the plastic over the solar cells turned milky and oxidized,
and the solar cells themselves looked like they were becoming un-laminated.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 10-08-2007, 10:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 2007-07-24 02:21:16 -0400, "Walter R." said:

[...]

Actually runway lights are quite powerful, were you to actually walk
beside them on the tarmac you'd think it was daylight.

They provide very little illumination for anything other
than showing that you should walk between them.

That's all solar lamps are intended for.. thye're so one doesn't
wander off the path is all... whaddaya, a Boeing 1011?

You should carry a
flashlight in case there is an obstacle on the walk.
All of the solar lights I have bought suffered the same problems. After
a few years, the plastic over the solar cells turned milky and oxidized,
and the solar cells themselves looked like they were becoming un-laminated.

That would be delaminated.

The Intermatic brand lamps I have work fine. The solar collectors
look good as new, as does the entire unit... shows absolutely no wear
and tear whatsoever. They've been working for more than 4 years now
(rain, shine, snow, hail, hot, cold, whatever... even birds shit on
them, washes away when it rains). No one expects solar lamps to give
much light... whaddaya sneak outside at night to peep at Hustler...
they're merely to find ones way with *minimal* illumination and to add
decorativeness is all. When I need LIGHT outdoors at night I flip on
my dual 150W incandescent floodlamps and remember to wear my miner's
hat. And there do exist solar lamps that give pretty good
illumination, ie. flag spots, but they cost five times as much as the
typical $10-$15 pathway units... if mine die next week I'm ahead of
the game, cost me like $3/yr and not a cent added to my electric
bill. And Intermatic will sell the entire top cap (contains panels,
batterys, and bulb) for like $4.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered User

The only solar garden light is good, is to show both sides of the aisle, directions to the airport runway runway lights on both sides. They provide more than anything, you have to walk between them, little light show. You must have a flashlight in case there is a barrier on the pitch.
hydroponic

[IMG] code is On

Solar Garden Lights Mike United Kingdom 11 26-04-2004 06:06 PM
SOLAR GARDEN LIGHTS zebrin Gardening 5 16-09-2003 01:32 PM
Solar Powered Garden Lights. Any Good? AuralFeast Gardening 12 01-07-2003 04:08 PM
Can anyone help... solar powered rope lights...? Steve Warren @ The UK Speedtrap Guide United Kingdom 0 27-05-2003 10:20 PM
Solar Landscape lights BB North Carolina 7 21-05-2003 01:08 PM