Old 11-02-2017, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tunnelling critters

I got 'em . In my gardens , in the woods , under the house , and other
places . I'm not sure what they are , whether ground squirrels , moles , or
gophers . I do know my dog (mountain cur) loves to try to catch them ,
digging up their tunnels and shoving his nose in them sniffing . These
tunnels are about 2"-4" below the surface and leave a hump - where there are
a lot of them close together the ground is soft . How do I figure out what
they are ?

--
Snag

Old 11-02-2017, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Terry Coombs wrote:

I got 'em . In my gardens , in the woods , under the house , and other
places . I'm not sure what they are , whether ground squirrels , moles , or
gophers . I do know my dog (mountain cur) loves to try to catch them ,
digging up their tunnels and shoving his nose in them sniffing . These
tunnels are about 2"-4" below the surface and leave a hump - where there are
a lot of them close together the ground is soft . How do I figure out what
they are ?

i vote moles. chipmunks and voles don't tend
to push things up as much IME. mice usually use
other things. gophers are bigger aren't they?

they're good for keeping the ground able to
soak up rains and provide a lot of habitat for
other critters. i wish i could convince Ma to
leave them alone, but she freaks out any time
there is one around. they have supersoft fur.

songbird
Old 11-02-2017, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I got 'em . In my gardens , in the woods , under the house , and other
places . I'm not sure what they are , whether ground squirrels , moles , or
gophers . I do know my dog (mountain cur) loves to try to catch them ,
digging up their tunnels and shoving his nose in them sniffing . These
tunnels are about 2"-4" below the surface and leave a hump - where there are
a lot of them close together the ground is soft . How do I figure out what
they are?

Very likely voles... ONLY remedy is feral cats... voles will be
eradicated in under 24 hours. Two feral cats working as a team can
easily de-vole 40 acres their first night... feral cats have radar,
sonar, and unique feline sensors that nothing can duplicate... no
rodent ever escapes.
Moles are really not a problem except they leave an unsightly mess
moles actually are a boon as they eat grubs. But voles eat plant
roots so will kill all your plants. Feral cats will eliminate them
all and fast, there are no better more ferocious rodent hunters, NONE
will/can escape.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 23:14:47 -0500, Brooklyn1
wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

[...]

There are mousers... now all we need are moosliminaters... let the
cats loose. In one night the scourge will be annialated, problem
solved.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/10/2017 8:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I got 'em . In my gardens , in the woods , under the house , and other
places . I'm not sure what they are , whether ground squirrels , moles , or
gophers . I do know my dog (mountain cur) loves to try to catch them ,
digging up their tunnels and shoving his nose in them sniffing . These
tunnels are about 2"-4" below the surface and leave a hump - where there are
a lot of them close together the ground is soft . How do I figure out what
they are ?

Sounds like moles. The only thing I found to effectively eradicate them
where phosphide based poisons put in tunnels.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank" "frank wrote:
On 2/10/2017 8:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I got 'em . In my gardens , in the woods , under the house , and
other places . I'm not sure what they are , whether ground squirrels
, moles , or gophers . I do know my dog (mountain cur) loves to try
to catch them , digging up their tunnels and shoving his nose in
them sniffing . These tunnels are about 2"-4" below the surface and
leave a hump - where there are a lot of them close together the
ground is soft . How do I figure out what they are ?

Sounds like moles. The only thing I found to effectively eradicate
them where phosphide based poisons put in tunnels.

Well , I'm not sure I want to eradicate them ... for many years I used
insecticide granules up here to control ticks and chiggers but quit when we
got bees 3 years ago . Since then there has been an increase in insect life
here , which is both good and bad depending on your viewpoint . We saw very
little sign of moles (assuming these are moles ...) during that time when I
was poisoning the soil . I suspect the increase is a sign of a healthy
ecosystem in the soil , and I also think they are benefitting the soil by
loosening and aerating it . Hey , if they wanna do my plowing for me ... but
the bottom line is that if they're not eating my plants and are eating grubs
and other invertebrates I might as well let 'em . Besides , it may very well
be impossible to get rid of them . They're all over here in the edges of the
woods , along the (dirt/gravel) roads , and it would be a massive project .
--
Snag

Old 11-02-2017, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/11/2017 8:36 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Frank" "frank wrote:
[...]

I got rid of them because they made the lawn unsightly. I did not mind
them in the back yard but around the house it was messy. Killing grubs
with insecticide may abate them from too much damage. I guess if you
can tolerate them, let them go. I don't know how far they will multiply.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 19:42:07 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I got 'em . In my gardens , in the woods , under the house , and other
places . I'm not sure what they are , whether ground squirrels , moles , or
gophers . I do know my dog (mountain cur) loves to try to catch them ,
digging up their tunnels and shoving his nose in them sniffing . These
tunnels are about 2"-4" below the surface and leave a hump - where there are
a lot of them close together the ground is soft . How do I figure out what
they are ?

Years ago, we would let the dog off-leash, once we were out of town
- he loved getting the field mice / voles along the ditches -
he'd locate them with hearing, then do a couple front-end jumps
and stun/trap the mouse with his front paws and then gobble it up
quite quickly. He was quite effective.
We soon found out that this leads to intestinal worms - a couple
of different types, if I remember - so we dissuaded the behaviour.
John T.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank" "frank wrote:
[...]

We don't really have a "lawn" , at least not yet . Our place is basically
a clearing out in the woods about the size of a city building lot . The rest
of our 12 acres is covered with trees (oak . hickory , maples , and a few
patches of cedars) except for the power line easements .
--
Snag

Old 11-02-2017, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 07:36:27 -0600
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
I suspect the increase is a sign of a healthy
ecosystem in the soil , and I also think they are benefitting the soil by
loosening and aerating it . Hey , if they wanna do my plowing for me ... but
the bottom line is that if they're not eating my plants and are eating grubs
and other invertebrates I might as well let 'em . Besides , it may very well
be impossible to get rid of them . They're all over here in the edges of the
woods , along the (dirt/gravel) roads , and it would be a massive project .

Moles are closely related to Shrews. They are known as insectivores.
Probably the Eastern Mole, usually found in relatively dry areas. We
have Star-nosed too. They usually keep to the really wet areas and
don't cause any mowing trouble. It didn't look like they were in your
area.

http://icwdm.org/handbook/mammals/Moles.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_mole

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star-nosed_mole

I've got them all around too. I just trap the really annoying ones
where I mow. Their mounds don't do your mower blades any good...

Harpoon traps work the best for me. Especially the large older models.
You would have to get lucky and find the latter at a yard sale maybe...
That design dates back to the 1800's. I've got several other versions
but the harpoon works best for me if needed.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 11-02-2017, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 08:13:02 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

[...]

I don't think he's actually caught any , but it's fun watching him try .
Max is just a pup , not quite 7 months old (BIG pup , had him at the vet
yesterday and he weighs 65 pounds) and very excitable .

Our old mutt was ~ 75 pounds ; 1/2 Giant Schnauser ..
which is just a big terrier ? ie : mouser. He'd go after muskrats
too ; and then be disappointed when they stopped "playing"
ie were dead. He didn't look at all like a terrier, though.
He'd get burrs on him and they would almost fall off on their own -
- a real nice feature about his coat !
John T.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I got 'em . In my gardens , in the woods , under the house , and
other places . I'm not sure what they are , whether ground squirrels
, moles , or gophers . I do know my dog (mountain cur) loves to try
to catch them , digging up their tunnels and shoving his nose in
them sniffing . These tunnels are about 2"-4" below the surface and
leave a hump - where there are a lot of them close together the
ground is soft . How do I figure out what they are ?

i vote moles. chipmunks and voles don't tend
to push things up as much IME. mice usually use
other things. gophers are bigger aren't they?

They're moles , I saw one this afternoon under the bird feeder . He/it
darted out , grabbed something and darted back into his hole .
--
Snag

Old 11-02-2017, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 15:12:20 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I got 'em . In my gardens , in the woods , under the house , and
other places . I'm not sure what they are , whether ground squirrels
, moles , or gophers . I do know my dog (mountain cur) loves to try
to catch them , digging up their tunnels and shoving his nose in
them sniffing . These tunnels are about 2"-4" below the surface and
leave a hump - where there are a lot of them close together the
ground is soft . How do I figure out what they are ?

i vote moles. chipmunks and voles don't tend
to push things up as much IME. mice usually use
other things. gophers are bigger aren't they?

They're moles , I saw one this afternoon under the bird feeder . He/it
darted out , grabbed something and darted back into his hole .

That confirms it - moles are those little fast darty things ..
... with no eye sight. or ears. ...
... crafty little critters.
John T.

[IMG] code is On

Critters in Pond D. S. Ponds 9 03-06-2003 05:44 PM
Beneficial critters Repeating Decimal Edible Gardening 1 09-05-2003 09:08 PM
critters keep eating my tomatoes fantabular Gardening 6 16-04-2003 06:56 PM
Keeping critters away - sprinkler motion sensors Gary Flynn Edible Gardening 5 11-04-2003 03:56 AM
Keeping critters away Jim Carter Edible Gardening 0 08-04-2003 04:32 PM