Old 22-10-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pseudolithos seed germination

Howdy.

I have managed to get hold of a few Pseudolithos seeds, and I don't
want to screw it up! Does anyone have any knowledge on the correct
soil mixture, temperature, light, water, etc. for germination?

I live in Southern California, and it rarely gets below freezing in my
area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--steve clancy

Old 23-10-2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

noconflicts expounded:

Howdy.

I have managed to get hold of a few Pseudolithos seeds, and I don't
want to screw it up! Does anyone have any knowledge on the correct
soil mixture, temperature, light, water, etc. for germination?

I live in Southern California, and it rarely gets below freezing in my
area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--steve clancy

Google is your friend.

http://www.bcss.org.uk/forum/read.php?1,51125,51296

Found via this google search
http://www.google.com/search?q=Pseud...ient=firefox-a
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 23-10-2007, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks, Ann! Somehow, I missed those!

--steve

Found via this google searchhttp://www.google.com/search?q=Pseudolithos+germination&ie=utf-8&oe=u...

Old 13-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noconflicts View Post
Howdy.

I have managed to get hold of a few Pseudolithos seeds, and I don't
want to screw it up! Does anyone have any knowledge on the correct
soil mixture, temperature, light, water, etc. for germination?

I live in Southern California, and it rarely gets below freezing in my
area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--steve clancy
Steve,
I am into Pseudolithos myself and i seem to have success with these gems from Somalia. I grow cacti and succulents in The Netherlands (Europe).
For Pseudolithos I use a mix of grit (1-3 mm) and riversand or coarsesand. 100% mineral. Make sure you seal the drainage holes because your soil will go out if its dry.
I germinate Pseudolithos migiurtinus seeds and other Pseudolithos seeds by lightly pressing them in the soil mix described above. Let the soil soak in warm water and lock the container in a plastic bag. Start pricking holes in the bag approximately two weeks after germination of the seeds.

Good luck!
Old 15-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Mumbai, the tropical west coast of India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noconflicts View Post
Howdy.

I have managed to get hold of a few Pseudolithos seeds, and I don't
want to screw it up! Does anyone have any knowledge on the correct
soil mixture, temperature, light, water, etc. for germination?

I live in Southern California, and it rarely gets below freezing in my
area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--steve clancy
I have been growing pseudolithos seeds along with several others ascleps with reasonable success. My medium is corase cocopeat containing short fibres which lets the medium breath without letting it dry out. The seeds are nominally covered with the same material and spray the top keep it moist till the seedleaves push up the real actor to come forth.Right from the start the seed trays are exposed to lots of light and breeze which prevents etiolation and good root formation. Transplant the seedlings in a mix of leaf mould with coarse sand. The seedlings should just sit on the medium with only the fibrous root being burried. once they start plumping up gradually reduce watering to prevent plant loss.

Old 13-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered User

I'm growing Pseudolithos on a sifted cactus and succulent mix to which additional sand and a little grit and perlite have been added. I have germinated upwards of 200 seedlings so far. My first two seedlings planted this past early May are now to a fair size, one about the size of a small marble. I keep them about six to eight inches away from the bulbs of a flourescent light unit which has two 75 watt bulbs. They are in an un-air conditioned laundry room in my house and conditions range from around 80 overnight to as high as 95 during the day. They probably could stand to have more light, but from past experience I am wary about putting them outside. I lost several seedlings to insects that way, even though they were on a screened porch. Under my conditions, I water frequently, whenever the surface of the medium begins to look and feel dry.

Getting good fresh seed is also important. I bought Pseudolithos migiurtinus seed from the Cactus Plaza in the Netherlands, along with other seeds like Fockea and Pachypodium species. I have had a very bad time with those seeds. For ascleps in particular, it is critical that the seed be as fresh as possible. I purchased my latest batch of about 200 P. migiurtinus seeds from a vendor in Thailand and I had excellent germination, over 150 seedlings.

As an aside, I would not recommend doing business with Allard Bax of the CactusPlaza in the Netherlands. He sold me about $US56.00 of poor seed, over a hundred seeds, and only SEVEN germinated. I have purchased comparable seeds from other vendors at good prices, and they have all had high germination rates. Added to that, Mr Bax has failed to respond to my inquiries about this problem, and has not even offered to make an adjustment to the price, even though I have already spent the better part of US$300 on seeds from him. Not a good experience. Am just warning others to beware. He claims all over his site that he has 80% germination rates for his seeds. That is simply not true. If he were a gentlemen, he would return at least part of my money.
Old 22-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvespertilio View Post
[...]

Addendum 11/22/09 CactusPlaza replaced the seeds that I had ordered back in June and July of this year. Of the 140 replacement seeds sent, only 7 have germinated. Clearly, the seed is bad. I would not recommend dealing with this vendor.
Old 18-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Registered User

hi,
where i can buy Pseudolithos seeds?

[IMG] code is On

Pseudolithos Garrapata Garden Photos 1 22-08-2008 04:51 PM
Okra seed germination Little Badger United Kingdom 20 05-06-2003 09:18 AM
Grass seed germination Guy Goldich Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Floating Seed Germination Test? city usa Gardening 5 28-03-2003 11:20 PM
Grass seed germination Guy Goldich Lawns 1 11-01-2003 09:37 PM