Old 17-11-2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree encyclopedia

Has anyone seen a really good, comprehensive tree encyclopedia they could
recommend?
Thanks,
Jackie

Old 17-11-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"J. Davidson" wrote:
Has anyone seen a really good, comprehensive tree encyclopedia
they could recommend?

The Internet.
Old 17-11-2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in message
"J. Davidson" wrote:
Has anyone seen a really good, comprehensive tree encyclopedia
they could recommend?

The Internet.

This is what I have been using, but I would rather have a big,
comprehensive, tree book in color, showing leaves, mature trees, baby trees.
Even if it is just for Mississippi, or just for the USA.
Jackie

Old 18-11-2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:51:31 -0600, "J. Davidson"
wrote:

Has anyone seen a really good, comprehensive tree encyclopedia they could
recommend?
Thanks,
Jackie

Hands down:

http://books.google.com/books?id=CmK...us3pg3PeoqbLD0

cut and paste it if the link is too long or do a search on Dr. Dirr.

Man, that's the worst digitalization I'd seen in goog books for a while.
At least it's a good preview minus those warped pages.
Old 18-11-2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks, I checked and it is in our library. If it is wonderful I will by a
copy.
Jackie
Jangchub wrote:
J. Davidson wrote
Has anyone seen a really good, comprehensive tree encyclopedia they

could
recommend?
Thanks,
Jackie

Hands down:

http://books.google.com/books?id=CmK...r&dq=inaut ho
r:Michael+inauthor:A+inauthorirr&sig=1eH2YwGk-5bORus3pg3PeoqbLD0

Old 19-11-2007, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

YES TREE ANATOMY for starters.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/ANATOMY.html

The only book of its type. All samples were alive when the pictures were
taken. Your library should have it or can get it.

Remember, wood anatomy is different then tree anatomy.

Remember how people treated the human body before dissections lead to an
understanding of the human body? Same with trees.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 19-11-2007, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Another old but classic book is "Trees for American Gardens" by Donald Wyman.
I bought a 1972 edition on Amazon for almost nothing.

Sherwin

"J. Davidson" wrote:

Thanks, I checked and it is in our library. If it is wonderful I will by a
copy.
Jackie
J. Davidson wrote

Old 19-11-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

sherwindu wrote:
Here's our buddy peddling his own stuff again.

Actually, he's pushing Shigo's work via his own site.

Here's the direct link without the garbage.

http://www.shigoandtrees.com/Books/t...1/Default.aspx

Via the offical Dr. Alex Shigo website.

http://www.shigoandtrees.com

You can also find the books on Amazon.com via a search for "Alex L. Shigo"

Or for those who think amazon.com is over rated anymore, goto bn.com

symplastless wrote:

YES TREE ANATOMY for starters.
spammy

The only book of its type. All samples were alive when the pictures were
taken. Your library should have it or can get it.

SNIP
Old 20-11-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sher

What problem do you have with a tree anatomy book about trees?

BTW I found this post by you.
- - - - - - - - -
[I thought I would help a friend to install a Dell floppy drive in his
new Dimension
Desk Top computer. I'm sorry I volunteered. It should have been a
quick install.
However, the manual that came with the drive is one of the worst I have
ever seen.
Illustrations are almost useless, and text is just as bad. ]
- - - - - - - - -
That's how I see most of the manuals for pruning and treating trees. Thats
why I often reveal these books and dvd's to people on this list. Its to the
point, good information, on proper tree care. Its a little more complex to
understand tree treatments than it is understanding how to install a drive
in a computer. Oviously you have problems reading and understanding
instructions. maybe you shoul try TREE BASICS. If you cannot afford to buy
one I will send you one FREE!
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TBASICS.html

If you have trouble understanding the books I would go through them page by
page with you. Who else offers you such help? I care about you. Many
don't!
The tree anatomy book is a great book on the anatomy of trees. When did you
try reading it? You would not be putting down a book you never read would
you?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

symplastless wrote:

YES TREE ANATOMY for starters.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/ANATOMY.html

The only book of its type. All samples were alive when the pictures were
taken. Your library should have it or can get it.

Remember, wood anatomy is different then tree anatomy.

Remember how people treated the human body before dissections lead to an
understanding of the human body? Same with trees.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us
that we are not the boss.

Old 20-11-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Has anyone seen a really good, comprehensive tree encyclopedia they could
recommend?
Thanks,
Jackie

I don't think you will find just one book that covers
everything. I have a lot of them (books), each one has its
strengths and weaknesses. For just one book that has good
info for identifying trees in North America you could try
this one:

North American Trees by Richard J. Preston, Jr.

My copy is an older "Fourth Edition" this is the current
updated copy:

http://www.amazon.com/North-American...dp/0813815266/

A Field Guide to Eastern Trees (Peterson Field Guides) by
George A. Petrides, Janet Wehr, and Roger Tory Peterson

This is a good, brief, general guide for ID'ing.

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Ea...dp/0395904552/

Trees of Michigan and the Upper Great Lakes by Norman Foster
Smith

This guide has lots of nice pictures. Not as complete as the
others, but more in-depth.

http://www.amazon.com/Trees-Michigan...dp/1882376080/

Michigan Trees, Revised and Updated: A Guide to the Trees of
the Great Lakes Region by Burton V. Barnes and Warren H.
Wagner

This title is sometimes used as a college text (or so I've
been told).

http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Trees...dp/0472089218/

If you are looking for something in particular, it would be
best to describe that in more detail.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b