Old 06-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Registered User

Default Is it possible to make branches from a mulberry take root?

Help!
I've just reluctantly had to heavily prune a 'black mulberry' tree that's thrived in my mum's garden for years - at 31' it had grown way to big & had also begun to lean dangerously due to uneven growth. Apparently it isn't a good idea to prune these trees at all, as they bleed so much when cut & are unlikely to survive 'an extreme hair cut'.

On advice taken from an ancient 'Pruning tips' book, I did the cuts at a steep angle so as rain water runs off the sloped ends, & also burnt the wounds with a blowtorch to create a seal that would stop the sap escaping. Despite that, I've removed such a lot of it's branches that it's quite likely I've killed it. Oops, sorry mum!

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to root the offcuts just in case the original tree dies?

I have a stack of them ranging from 3' - 5' long, & have burnt the ends of these also to seal the sap in. What's the best way to attempt rooting?

Ta.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Rockford" wrote in message

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to root the offcuts just in case the
original tree dies?

Yes they strike easily.

David

Old 07-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Registered User

Quote:

Yes they strike easily.

David
Good, I'm in with a chance then. I've never attempted anything like it before though, so am very unsure on how to go about it - could someone advise me on whether the following is the right approach or not? It's what I picked up from numerous corners of the internet:

Plant into a 2/3 sand 1/3 compost mix in a clean pot
Strip off a few inches of bark from the bottom
Keep it warm indoors
Feed with water that's had chopped up weeping willow branches left in it (?!)

Is that right? Also, would I be better using the full offcuts which a several feet long, or removing smaller branches from them & using those?

Sorry about all these questions; I'm a complete novice & not green fingered at all!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have a lot of plants coming up from the berries; and they grow fast. h

Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

[image:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.w...nch%20set.jpg]

--
Rockford

also, might well be some shoots coming up from the roots, even if you
killed the tree. God knows, if you want to kill a tree, the damn roots
then send up shoots all over the whole neighborhood.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Rockford" wrote in message

Yes they strike easily.

David

Good, I'm in with a chance then. I've never attempted anything like it
before though, so am very unsure on how to go about it - could someone
advise me on whether the following is the right approach or not? It's
what I picked up from numerous corners of the internet:

Plant into a 2/3 sand 1/3 compost mix in a clean pot
Strip off a few inches of bark from the bottom
Keep it warm indoors
Feed with water that's had chopped up weeping willow branches left in
it (?!)

Is that right? Also, would I be better using the full offcuts which a
several feet long, or removing smaller branches from them & using
those?

Sorry about all these questions; I'm a complete novice & not green
fingered -at all-!

I would use tip cuttings about 12 in, take off all but the top leaves. Dip
the cut end in rooting compound and plant 6in apart in pots. Keep out of the
sun but warm in good light and water now and then. When new leaves appear
move into the sun, feed and keep watering. Plant out when established. If
you do (say) a dozen the chances are at least a few will grow even if
conditions are imperfect. I know of cases where random twigs were just pushed
into the dirt that grew.

David

Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 6, 9:03 am, Rockford
wrote:
Help!
I've just reluctantly had to heavily prune a 'black mulberry' tree
that's thrived in my mum's garden for years - at 31' it had grown way
to big & had also begun to lean dangerously due to uneven growth.
Apparently it isn't a good idea to prune these trees at all, as they
bleed so much when cut & are unlikely to survive 'an extreme hair
cut'.

Mulberry trees can actually be severely pruned and grow well very
quickly.
They were used in France and pollarded (cut back severely) every year
to provide firewood. I think it might be impossible to kill a mulberry
tree...
My neighbor cut a 60 ft. tall, about 24 in diameter tree down to the
ground,
in just a few years it is now 12 feet tall.

On advice taken from an ancient 'Pruning tips' book, I did the cuts at
a steep angle so as rain water runs off the sloped ends, & also burnt
the wounds with a blowtorch to create a seal that would stop the sap
escaping. Despite that, I've removed such a lot of it's branches that
it's quite likely I've killed it. Oops, sorry mum!

To prune, cut a straight cut just on the outside of the branch collar
(
a slightly larger ring of bark near the joining to the main trunk.Do
not
use anything to treat pruning cuts; the tree will heal itself in time.

I won't talk about rooting the cuttings, that's been well covered by
others.
Emilie

Ta.

And Ta to you
Emilie

--
Rockford

Old 08-01-2008, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 7, 6:16 pm, mleblanca wrote:

Oh my, am I beginning to sound like "You know who"
(and I don't mean Voldemort!)
BTW I wonder whatver happened to Treelady?
Emilie
Old 08-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered User

Thanks for your replies on this everybody. Just a case of waiting to see what happens now....

Ta!