Old 30-04-2008, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Happy Tuesday!

Nothing special about this Tuesday, other than the fact that I was going
through my property this past weekend pulling out everything with three
leaves.

48 hours later, no sign of a misstep. No scratchin', no itchin'. And when I
get poison ivy, I tend to get it BAD.

I use gloves and wear long sleeves and sweats. Normally, when I'm done
pulling all of the ivy I've spotted, the gloves are the last thing to go
into the bag, then I take a thorough HazMat shower immediately. If there's
any doubt, the sweats are also disposable.

I hate that stuff. Poison Ivy is, to me, like mosquitos - what possible
purpose could it serve on this Earth?

dwight
(Sorry to rant, but I knew you'all would understand.)

Old 30-04-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

"dwight" wrote in
:

I hate that stuff. Poison Ivy is, to me, like mosquitos -
what possible purpose could it serve on this Earth?

bird food.
i am also highly allergic, but i allow it to grow in certain
areas of my property because the fruits are an excellent
native source of food.
now, Norway maples, those should be wiped from the face of
the planet...
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 30-04-2008, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:04:28 -0400, "dwight"
wrote:

Nothing special about this Tuesday, other than the fact that I was going
through my property this past weekend pulling out everything with three
leaves.

48 hours later, no sign of a misstep. No scratchin', no itchin'. And when I
get poison ivy, I tend to get it BAD.

I use gloves and wear long sleeves and sweats. Normally, when I'm done
pulling all of the ivy I've spotted, the gloves are the last thing to go
into the bag, then I take a thorough HazMat shower immediately. If there's
any doubt, the sweats are also disposable.

I hate that stuff. Poison Ivy is, to me, like mosquitos - what possible
purpose could it serve on this Earth?

dwight
(Sorry to rant, but I knew you'all would understand.)

Poison ivy produces berries that are food to some birds.
Unfortunately, the birds scatter the seeds with their droppings making
it a never-ending eradication battle. I have learned to quickly
recognize the plant, both on my property and on hiking trails.
Interesting, it doesn't grow in California. Also, can you believe
some folks have poison ivy as a house plant? Makes me itch just
thinking about it.
Old 30-04-2008, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

....really...?

Tell that to the hospital folks at Vandenberg AFB. Some years back,
when they sent volunteers to help fight a fire in the coastal
mountains nearby, a wind shift caused smoke inhalation from burning PI
that put a bunch of folks in hospital with PI burns in trachea and
lungs. Good friend, with a PI allergy, almost died.

cheers

oz
Old 30-04-2008, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I always thought it was the Ivy in the East, Poison Oak in the West. My son,
also VERY allergic to the ivy, moved out to California a few years ago,
knowing nothing about poison oak. He learned quickly.

dwight

Old 30-04-2008, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Nothing special about this Tuesday, other than the fact that I was going
through my property this past weekend pulling out everything with three
leaves.

48 hours later, no sign of a misstep. No scratchin', no itchin'. And when
get poison ivy, I tend to get it BAD.

I use gloves and wear long sleeves and sweats. Normally, when I'm done
pulling all of the ivy I've spotted, the gloves are the last thing to go
into the bag, then I take a thorough HazMat shower immediately. If there's
any doubt, the sweats are also disposable.

I hate that stuff. Poison Ivy is, to me, like mosquitos - what possible
purpose could it serve on this Earth?

dwight
(Sorry to rant, but I knew you'all would understand.)

Heck yeah! Poison ivy sucks. Something that has become invasive in
my part of the world is wild parsnip. Son got burned pretty badly
fishing two years ago. He didn't realize what the weeds were that he
was knocking down. Can cause blistering, photodermatitis, if sap is
contacted and then you are in sunlight. Darkened areas can remain
several years.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0621134058.htm
http://www.sover.net/~lsudlow/images...TheParsnip.jpg

Plenty of info online about this invasive plant. I found some starting
up last week under a bush.

Poison hemlock is showing up also.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/2007/7-9/poison.html

Grrrr
Charlie

I'd never heard about this plant. Apparently, Pennsylvania may be part of
its current range, so I'll be keeping an eye out. So, that's two plants now
that I want no part of on my property.

I'll stick to my kudzu, English ivy, purple loosestife, and tree-of-heaven,
thanks.

dwight

Old 30-04-2008, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/29/08 8:54 PM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

"dwight" wrote in
:

I hate that stuff. Poison Ivy is, to me, like mosquitos -
what possible purpose could it serve on this Earth?

bird food.
i am also highly allergic, but i allow it to grow in certain
areas of my property because the fruits are an excellent
native source of food.
now, Norway maples, those should be wiped from the face of
the planet...
lee

I'm with you, I'll allow the PI and pull the Oriental Bittersweet and the
Norway Maples.

Old 30-04-2008, 12:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

I'm with you, I'll allow the PI and pull the Oriental
Bittersweet and the Norway Maples.

i'm still working on the damned Oriental bittersweet after
almost 9 years here. that stuff is hard to get rid of if you
don't use herbicides.
i think i'll have a party when we take down the big nasty
Norway maple next to the house. i couldn't get the loggers to
cut it... too close to the house & useless as lumber
i drove past Scenic Nursery yesterday. they are open & were
pretty busy, despite the rain. the river was edging up to some
of the shrub pots, but they weren't under water again at
least.
lee

Old 30-04-2008, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"MajorOz" wrote in message
Interesting, it doesn't grow in California.

...really...?

Tell that to the hospital folks at Vandenberg AFB. Some years back,
when they sent volunteers to help fight a fire in the coastal
mountains nearby, a wind shift caused smoke inhalation from burning PI
that put a bunch of folks in hospital with PI burns in trachea and
lungs. Good friend, with a PI allergy, almost died.
oz

Correct, Poison Ivy does NOT grow in California. Poison Oak west, Poison Ivy
east. PO is a sub species of PI. Because PO often grows in a vine-like
manner it's sometimes confused and the names are interchanged. That fire was
in 1996 and even the news papers interchanged the names, hence the
confusion. People as much as 10 miles from that fire were reported suffering
effects from the PO smoke toxins carried in the wind. Inhaling the smoke of
burning plants can cause the same blisters, inflammation and swelling
internally as direct contact on the skin. Poison Oak (Toxicodendron
diversilobum) and its eastern counterpart Poison Ivy (Toxicodendron
radicans) are two of the most notoriously painful plants in North America.

I remember in the late 60s camping in California, in an area where PO had
been cut and cleared. No signs were posted or warnings made. By day two a
dozen of us were showing signs of PO. We had picked up the sap from the cut
vegetation stubble and it was on our shoes, clothing, camping equipment,
etc. What a mess. A dozen of us ended up in the ER at NAS Alameda. I haven't
been camping since.

Val

Old 30-04-2008, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"dwight" wrote in message
. ..
I always thought it was the Ivy in the East, Poison Oak in the West. My
son, also VERY allergic to the ivy, moved out to California a few years
ago, knowing nothing about poison oak. He learned quickly.

You thought right.

Val

Old 30-04-2008, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/30/08 7:18 AM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

I'm with you, I'll allow the PI and pull the Oriental
Bittersweet and the Norway Maples.

i'm still working on the damned Oriental bittersweet after
almost 9 years here. that stuff is hard to get rid of if you
don't use herbicides.

Snip the vines going up. Not the fastest way, but it works
i think i'll have a party when we take down the big nasty
Norway maple next to the house. i couldn't get the loggers to
cut it... too close to the house & useless as lumber

Burns OK though. Not hard, not soft, so not an over night wood or a starter,
but it does produce BTUs
i drove past Scenic Nursery yesterday. they are open & were
pretty busy, despite the rain. the river was edging up to some
of the shrub pots, but they weren't under water again at
least.
lee

Hurrah! not next week, I'm working a ton of hours, but maybe the week after.

Old 30-04-2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 4/30/08 7:18 AM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

I'm with you, I'll allow the PI and pull the Oriental
Bittersweet and the Norway Maples.

i'm still working on the damned Oriental bittersweet after
almost 9 years here. that stuff is hard to get rid of if
you don't use herbicides.

Snip the vines going up. Not the fastest way, but it works

i'm getting a lot of little vines from the roots. not bad in
the areas i can mow, but hard to keep up with in the bog & on
one tree stump. i swear the previous owner planted every
invasive on the list... the only things i don't have are
Japanese knotweed & hogweed... & there's Japanese knotweed up
43 headed towards my swamp

i think i'll have a party when we take down the big nasty
Norway maple next to the house. i couldn't get the loggers
to cut it... too close to the house & useless as lumber

Burns OK though. Not hard, not soft, so not an over night
wood or a starter, but it does produce BTUs

i'll add it to the sap boiler fuel pile (unless i get my
greenhouse & outdoor wood furnace to heat it)

i drove past Scenic Nursery yesterday. they are open &
were pretty busy, despite the rain. the river was edging
up to some of the shrub pots, but they weren't under water
again at least.

Hurrah! not next week, I'm working a ton of hours, but
maybe the week after.

i have an appointment with the cancer doc on the 12th, but
otherwise nothing on the schedule that week.
lee
Old 30-04-2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

I'm with you, I'll allow the PI and pull the Oriental
Bittersweet and the Norway Maples.

i'm still working on the damned Oriental bittersweet after
almost 9 years here. that stuff is hard to get rid of if you
don't use herbicides.
i think i'll have a party when we take down the big nasty
Norway maple next to the house. i couldn't get the loggers to
cut it... too close to the house

Break out the "come alongs" and be prepared to run like hell;-)

& useless as lumber
i drove past Scenic Nursery yesterday. they are open & were
pretty busy, despite the rain. the river was edging up to some
of the shrub pots, but they weren't under water again at
least.
lee

--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 01-05-2008, 04:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 30, 8:21 am, "Val" wrote:
"MajorOz" wrote in message

[...]

I stand corrected. The hospital folks referred to it as PI. This was
a fire in the mid 70's.

cheers

oz, who, happily, is not bothered by any of them