Old 29-04-2008, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to kill crepe myrtly water shoots?

Anyone ever use or heard of using Naphthalene Acetic Acid?

I had to dig through some roots of a large crepe myrtle a couple years
ago and have numerous water shoots coming up in that area of the
flower bed and yard. Roundup only kills the foliage and the shoots
reappear after a time.

Anyone familiar with anything to stop this unwanted growth?
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb
Old 30-04-2008, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:31:22 -0500, Jangchub
wrote:

Anyone familiar with anything to stop this unwanted growth?

Napthalene acetic acid? You must be joking.

I don't think it is a joke, but I don't know if it will work, so I'm
asking for help.

Get out the pruning shears and cut them off.

I already tried that and without that task, I have enough job
security, just feeding goldfish and watering flower beds. Crepe
myrtle grows well here and the shoots are close to the ground,
clipping them in such numbers is a job almost as bad as picking butter
beans.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb
Old 30-04-2008, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
No Name

I've had shoots come up from a crepe myrtle which I dug out 5 years ago.
I paint them with straight undiluted roundup and that seems to have done
the job.

Albert

:
: Napthalene acetic acid? You must be joking.

: I don't think it is a joke, but I don't know if it will work, so I'm
: asking for help.
:
: Get out the pruning shears and cut them off.

: I already tried that and without that task, I have enough job
: security, just feeding goldfish and watering flower beds. Crepe
: myrtle grows well here and the shoots are close to the ground,
: clipping them in such numbers is a job almost as bad as picking butter
: beans.
: --
: Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
: http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb
Old 30-04-2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hal wrote in
:

I already tried that and without that task, I have enough
job security, just feeding goldfish and watering flower
beds. Crepe myrtle grows well here and the shoots are
close to the ground, clipping them in such numbers is a job
almost as bad as picking butter beans.

can you just keep them mowed? the roots will eventually die &
stop sending up the shoots.
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:26:47 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

can you just keep them mowed? the roots will eventually die &
stop sending up the shoots.
lee

I really hope so, but even then part of them are coming up inside the
flowerbed and the crepe myrtle is more tolerant of herbicides than
many plants and accepts pruning better than most and it looks like a
rest of my life type job keeping the shoots down at best. I was
hoping someone here knew an easier way.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb
Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:47:02 -0400, Hal wrote:

How to kill crepe myrtly water shoots?

Thanks for your replies! I'm going back to my routine and an
occasional visit here.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb