securing fence at bottom

Old 04-06-2008, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default securing fence at bottom

I have chicken wire around the garden to keep rabbits out. How do I secure the
bottom so that they can't go under the fence?

Also, how high does the chicken wire have to be to keep them from jumping over
and into the garden?

(These are Pennsylvania rabbits, not jackrabbits. Thanks.)
Old 04-06-2008, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry[_3_] View Post
I have chicken wire around the garden to keep rabbits out. How do I secure the
bottom so that they can't go under the fence?

Also, how high does the chicken wire have to be to keep them from jumping over
and into the garden?

(These are Pennsylvania rabbits, not jackrabbits. Thanks.)
Here we are told to bury the bottom of the wire by up to 9 inches to stop them burrowing under it.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jerry" wrote in message

I have chicken wire around the garden to keep rabbits out. How do I secure
the bottom so that they can't go under the fence?

Also, how high does the chicken wire have to be to keep them from jumping
over and into the garden?

The following sites will tell you more than you ever need to know about
rabbits proof fencing. The general advice is to bury it a minimum of about
6 inches, but I would prefer 8 inches and that it should be about a yard
high:

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/DPI/nrenin...F000AD596?open

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:... k&cd=18&gl=au

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dp..._ENA_Print.htm

Old 04-06-2008, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jerry said:

I have chicken wire around the garden to keep rabbits out. How do I
secure the bottom so that they can't go under the fence?

You could bury it an inch or so and lay in a run of patio blocks along the
bottom of the fence outside (makes a nice mowing strip).

Or you could lay the wire out (away from the protected area) along the
ground 8-12 inches.

Actually, I have the pavers where lawn meets the veggie garden fence and
wirealong the ground where there are (unprotected) flower beds.

Also, how high does the chicken wire have to be to keep them from

jumping over and into the garden?

18-24 inches should suffice.

(My fence is 48" tall with 18" of 1 inch hex net along the bottom and two
electric strands at the top, protected on the bottom as I mentioned. Seems
to work.)

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry[_3_] View Post
I have chicken wire around the garden to keep rabbits out. How do I secure the
bottom so that they can't go under the fence?

Also, how high does the chicken wire have to be to keep them from jumping over
and into the garden?

(These are Pennsylvania rabbits, not jackrabbits. Thanks.)
2-3ft should do it. As an alternative to burying the fence deep enough to stop burrowing, you could try angling it at 45 degrees towards the oncoming rabbits. Then their ears will hit the wire far enough from the base of the fence to stop them getting underneath.