Old 21-05-2011, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Which mulch best inhibits lawn grass?

Which mulch best inhibits lawn grass?

Ted Shoemaker
Old 21-05-2011, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ted Shoemaker writes:

Which mulch best inhibits lawn grass?

Concrete?

Is your lawn seeding itself into your mulch
or are you trying to kill the lawn by covering it with mulch.

If the latter, use landscape cloth, then put mulch on top.

--
Dan Espen
Old 21-05-2011, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ted Shoemaker wrote:

Which mulch best inhibits lawn grass?

Poured concrete.
Old 21-05-2011, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 21 May 2011 08:17:42 -0700 (PDT), Ted Shoemaker
wrote:

Which mulch best inhibits lawn grass?

Ted Shoemaker

The answer may be in choosing the best mulch or there could be another
way of doing what you want. If you told us the situation it would be
easier to say. In general the best mulch is the one you can source
locally and cheaply.

David
Old 22-05-2011, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Okay, here's the longer story.

I want to plant some mixed wildflowers. There used to be lawn grass
in that location. I poisoned the grass, much to the outrage of some
people on this group. The poison couldn't have been all that bad --
the grass was green until I roto-tilled it today. It's been 30 days
since I poisoned the grass, and the bottle says to wait 7 days.

I live in zone 6B; the soil has lots of clay.

If you want more details, please ask.

Thank you for all advice.

Ted Shoemaker

Old 22-05-2011, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Okay, here's the longer story.

I want to plant some mixed wildflowers. There used to be lawn grass
in that location. I poisoned the grass, much to the outrage of some
people on this group. The poison couldn't have been all that bad --
the grass was green until I roto-tilled it today. It's been 30 days
since I poisoned the grass, and the bottle says to wait 7 days.

I live in zone 6B; the soil has lots of clay.

If you want more details, please ask.

Thank you for all advice.

Ted Shoemaker

I prefer compost over mulch for flower beds. Wood mulch and playground
mulch takes a long time to decompose and weed and grass will grow up
between the chips making it much harder to remove weeds. A thick later of
compost every so often will keep smothering grass and is easier to remove
weeds. Weeding with a D-Hoe or also called a stirrup hoe is a nice tool for
weeding. No need get on your knees and pull weeds out. Also no need to
remove cut weeds they will decompose and just keep cutting the weeds with
the hoe every so often.

If you are going to plant your wildflowers in a compacted way. Weeds and
grass will have a harder time to get through and may not need anything
extra.

If you are an enemy of the Earth. One can poison the Earth with Preen for
flowers beds that keeps grass and some weeds out. But that will make you an
evil person. Just be thankful the world did not come to an end today