Old 19-07-2008, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default angel trumpet leaves curling

I have an angel trumpet in a large pot. It is 3-4 feet tall and I have had
it a few months. The leaves were quite large but now they seem to be cupping
under. Kind of like you would cup your hand around something. Even the new
leaves have this odd look. What does this mean? I keep the soil evenly
moist. I live in Houston and it gets afternoon sun but there are some
branches from other plants that overhang a bit. Should I feed more or less?
I have emailed the person I bought it from but haven't heard back yet.

Old 19-07-2008, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:24:01 -0500, "Phyllis Stone"
wrote:

I have an angel trumpet in a large pot. It is 3-4 feet tall and I have had
it a few months. The leaves were quite large but now they seem to be
cupping
under. Kind of like you would cup your hand around something. Even the new
leaves have this odd look. What does this mean? I keep the soil evenly
moist. I live in Houston and it gets afternoon sun but there are some
branches from other plants that overhang a bit. Should I feed more or
less?
I have emailed the person I bought it from but haven't heard back yet.

Do you know what you mean by "angel trumpets?" Are the flowers
upright or hanging down?

I can tell you that if you have datura or brugmansia it is normal for
them to wilt in the hot afternoon and they do not do well in full sun
here in TX at this elevation. Their native place is in the Andes
mountain range where it is moist and cool at night. We get very
little relief in TX at night.

Do NOT over water it thinking the problem is to water it too much. The
other thing it could be is not enough water. In containers these
plants, when grown in TX need to be watered daily in mid-morning.
Sometimes if the container is small, they need two waterings. Again,
wilting is normal. They do this to conserve water.

I think its real name is brugmansia. The flowers are double and they hang
down. I don't think it is wilting because the new leaves have that same
cupped shape. I wish I could take a picture but I can't. The pot is big.
Would it help if I moved it to the shade? This has happened within the last
2 weeks, at first the leaves were very large. I just know I am killing it in
some way.

Old 20-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered User

Brugmansia, Datura also known as Angels Trumpets will show signs of leaf curl if they are in full sun they prefer partial sun, they also need regular feeding to prevent yellowing of the leaves and to promote the growth of the huge flowers they produce. Ensure also that the plants pot is large enough as the root growth on these plants is amazing, best of luch.

If you need any more help e mail on our enquires at www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk

kathryn
Old 21-07-2008, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Brugmansia and Datura are two different plants altogether,
taxonomically speaking. Brugs are Angel trumpets, Datura are Devil's
trumpets. Common names are idiotic. Cupping has nothing to do with
fertilization and yellowing foliage is normal as it self-limbs. They
can grow and produce in a three gallon pot as long as they have
adequate water. One wind and they'll tip over, but still can survive
just the same. I have 30 of these plants in tubs.

This plant is important to me and I am determined that it not die. We
don't have a nursery close so I am going to snip a couple of leaves and take
them to Ace Hardware and get help. It would be better to have a real plant
place but my choices are Home Depot or Ace. I dusted it with Ortho rose and
floral dust, scratched in some ironite and moved it a little back under a
tree fern leaf. I am hoping that someone there can look at the leaves and
say 'yes, you need to do this and everything will be fine'. I don't have a
'green thumb' at all but I really would like this plant to survive my care.

Old 21-07-2008, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:31:49 -0500, "Phyllis Stone"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You were given advice, but you did what you wanted anyway so if the
plant dies, oh well. Nobody told you to dust with Ortho rose and
floral dust and certainly nobody told you to ad ironite, which has
toxic levels of arsenic in it. I've been growing these plants for
decades. Don't ask a question and then go do whatever you want
anyway. Don't waste my time. Take it to Ace Hardware. Don't take
time to use the biggest library on earth, the Internet.

I am sorry to have offended anyone. I was just trying really hard to gather
as much advice as possible. I have searched the Internet and I guess my
computer skills match my plant growing skills because I couldn't find
anything that exactly matched my problem so I made a judgment call, possibly
wrong. The dusting was in case there were bugs I couldn't see, there were no
webs, the ironite was in case I had overwatered and stressed the plant and I
also tried to get it out of the sun as much as I could. I reasoned that the
'cupping' could mean that the leaf veins are not supporting the leaf causing
it to collapse. Again I am sorry to offended anyone in anyway.

Old 22-07-2008, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On
You didn't offend me. You offended the way nature works by poisoning
without the slightest bit of knowledge of what or why you wanted to
kill this mystery thing, insect, mite, using some broad, carcinogen.
It's probably not listed for use on spider mites anyway. A good way
to kill plant is to use poisons improperly. If you read the label
you'd know you should first identify the problem. I gave you a
reasonable answer by telling you to spray the undersides of the
foliage with forceful water. That's all you needed to do for
"potential" spider mites. They are most likely the only animal you'd
not be able to see with the naked eye without a 10x eye loop.

Then you put Ironite in the container. What was that for? I'm not
offended, you wasted my time because while i gave you methods you did
what you wanted to do anyway. Why ask, is my point.

I am glad you weren't offended. I did get hands on help and there were no
spider mites, as I suspected. As you know it is very hot in Tx. and I took
someone's advice and moved the plant to a more filtered location. You have
been a big help and I am sorry I provoked you to be rude as I am sure you
are usually a very helpful person whose time should never be wasted. As I
stated my, goal was to save the plant and I think I did. Thanks again for
all the helpful impute.

Old 22-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered User

Angry

What a bunch of dooblas. The whole purpose of a forum is to share information and help. If you are a member of this forum and think it is a place to vent your obvious aire of over importance? You are wrong. The curling of the leaves that she is speaking of is not a result of over watering or under watering. There is definitely something going on with these plants that might either be disease related; or bug related. I too have had this issue and am still trying to get it under control. If anyone with intelligence and NO igo can address this issue without malice, it would be greatly appreciated. My Angels are Brugs and NOT planted in containers. They are planted in the yard and get adequate sun and water every day. Should one of you brainiacts decide to give helpful feedback it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise you should resort to NOT replying to someone who obviously has an issue concerning their plants that they so dearly want to thrive and flourish.

[IMG] code is On

Bc Angel Lace (C Little Angel X B digbyana 'Laura') V_coerulea Orchid Photos 2 08-12-2006 01:58 AM
Angel's Trumpet-short lived flower? DigitalVinyl Gardening 7 09-08-2003 07:02 AM
Datura (angel trumpet) question... Millerific Gardening 4 27-06-2003 03:08 PM
Angel Trumpet pixi Gardening 1 30-05-2003 05:09 PM
Angel's Trumpet (Datura/Brugmansia) irvin savage Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:34 AM