Old 22-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Holger Friebe

Default weed & Feed - when may my baby go back on the lawn ??

Hello, I have applied "Weed & Feed" to our lawn. Now I would like to
know when my 15month-old daughter will be able to play there again.
The bag has thousands of warnings and precautions, but does not say a
word about my question.
We live in SC, so it is nice outside already....
Thank you for any help!
Jana
Old 23-02-2003, 12:39 AM
animaux

You fertilized way too early, and why would you buy that crap with all the
warnings if you have a child who is going to be touching the soil? I don't now,
nor have I ever been able to figure this out about people. Has me puzzled.

Old 23-02-2003, 01:03 AM
GrampysGurl

Hello, I have applied "Weed & Feed" to our lawn. Now I would like to
know when my 15month-old daughter will be able to play there again.
The bag has thousands of warnings and precautions, but does not say a
word about my question.
We live in SC, so it is nice outside already....
Thank you for any help!
Jana

Have you ever thought about going organic?
Colleen

Old 23-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Tim B

Don't take my word for it; get the label from the product you applied, then
call a lawn care company in your area and ask. They are especially
especially glad/hungry for new customers this time of year and they'll talk
to you about it.

By the way don't use grass clippings as garden mulch for awhile as the weed
control agent will still be active and may kill, for instance, ornamentals
grasses and sweet corn.

om...

Old 23-02-2003, 03:27 AM
Trish K.

falling over drunken, last post for long time, promise...

tolkien, urs was great, well said, i meant
badly contracted verbs. my bad

nighty night...

Old 23-02-2003, 03:27 AM
Pam

Holger Friebe wrote:

Hello, I have applied "Weed & Feed" to our lawn. Now I would like to
know when my 15month-old daughter will be able to play there again.
The bag has thousands of warnings and precautions, but does not say a
word about my question.
We live in SC, so it is nice outside already....
Thank you for any help!
Jana

The other posts suggesting you consider going organic are very appropos.
Weed 'n feed formulations are not very efficient and contribute heavily
to urban pollution. If you need to fertilize your lawn, a straight
fertilizer (either organic or synthetic chemical) will do the trick, but
February is too early - late March or April is better. If you need to
treat for weeds, either spot weed or pull by hand. Weed 'n feed
formulations apply the weed killer far too broadly, covering areas in
which no weeds occur, and leach too easily into ground water and storm
water runoffs. They are some major pollutants of our rivers and streams.
And they are not an efficient use of the herbicide = you spend more money
for poor results.

The only product similar to a weed 'n feed I would recommend is corn
gluten meal and it is not marketed as such. It is a natural pre-emergent
herbicide as well as having some good fertilization ability, specially
when used on lawns. Otherwise, any organic lawn fertilizer is
preferrable.

As to when your daughter can resume play on the lawn, I'd wait until
after a couple of good rains or several deep irrigations. Most herbicides
will dissipate fairly rapidly into the soil with water and will be pretty
much harmless after a week to 10 days. Slow release fertilizer will
persist on the surface for awhile, but it will be beaded or granular and
noticeable, otherwise fertilizer too, will dissipate into the soil. Just
make sure she wears shoes and you wash her hands well after play - she
will be fine.

pam - gardengal

Old 23-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Tim B

Dude. They put the material on on already and want to know when their child
can play in the yard.

Old 23-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Warren

Tim B wrote:
Dude. They put the material on on already and want to know when their

child
can play in the yard.

2004

---maybe

Old 23-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Next time read the precautions BEFORE you threaten the health and
welfare of your children. Then don't buy the crap and learn to use
simple compost and organic fertilizers to end up with a lawn where the
weeds are out competed

On 22 Feb 2003 10:19:15 -0800, (Hollered Fried)
wrote:

Hello, I have applied "Weed & Feed" to our lawn. Now I would like to
know when my 15month-old daughter will be able to play there again.
The bag has thousands of warnings and precautions, but does not say a
word about my question.
We live in SC, so it is nice outside already....
Thank you for any help!
Jana

Regards,

tomj
Old 23-02-2003, 02:51 PM
silvasurfa

"Pam" wrote in message

Holger Friebe wrote:

[...]

If her lawn grass is a running rather than clumping variety, and the lawn is
a rough lawn not a show lawn, using a high nitrogen chemical fertiliser to
badly burn any flat weeds is another option.

Old 23-02-2003, 05:39 PM
animaux

If it were my child, dog, cat, ferret, snake, rat, bat, oink or otherwise, I
wouldn't allow them on the lawn till the following year when, by that time, all
traces of the poison will have washed into the drinking water.

So, my answer, dude, is; I would not anything alive on a lawn treated with
atrazine.

Old 23-02-2003, 05:39 PM
animaux

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:17:59 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

Next time read the precautions BEFORE you threaten the health and
welfare of your children. Then don't buy the crap and learn to use
simple compost and organic fertilizers to end up with a lawn where the
weeds are out competed

Ya know, this is so true. I had all sorts of winter and summer weeds in the
turfgrass when the house was first built. I continued to mow before weeds went
to seed, I fertilized at half the rate the bag said to use (certified organic)
and top dress with compost, about 1/4 inch every spring, hand pulled larger
thistles, and I have not a weed.

Henbit is a pretty little wildflower in winter and so I don't do anything with
that. It helps aerate the soil and melts in April when the heat arrives.

If people would simply give it a chance and stop being lemmings, led by the
cutesy commercial ads with cartoon weeds and bugs (which are actually insects,
not bugs) we'd be a much safer place to live.

[IMG] code is On

Weed & Feed Products Sled Lawns 1 29-04-2009 09:57 AM
Weed & feed Herb and Eneva White Lawns 7 09-04-2009 02:08 AM
help, lawn dying after applying Lawn Feed & Moss Killer peter United Kingdom 1 07-06-2008 08:34 PM
phostrogen feed, weed & mosskiller James Ostler Lawns 0 21-05-2004 12:05 PM
Weed & Feed for very small yard [email protected] Gardening 2 30-04-2004 04:02 PM