Old 03-11-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

On Nov 3, 3:13�pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote
Unless someone was a local they'd not know that "Herts" is ghetto/slum
speak for Hertfordshire.

It's actually the normal accepted short version, even the Queen would use..

The Queen is a local. Blue blooded is no recommendation of noble
mindedness... one can buy dogs with papers still gotta walk em.

The UK includes England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and the Isles...
that covers a few different bios... don't need (or even want) an
address, but a bit more specificity would help. �It's only southern
England that has relatively mild winters, most of the UK is just as
cold and snowy as NY's Catskills.

Not true, we are a Maritime climate you are a Continental type climate,
totally different. Our climate is governed by the seas around us, yours by
the land around you.
The effect is your winter comes, stays for a few months then goes and spring
comes... ours changes constantly and is all mixed up. �Whilst it is colder
the further North one travels it's still not constant like your weather and
even then there are exceptions like the effect of the warm Gulf Stream on
the West of Scotland. It's why we don't talk in zones.

Coastal US weather is governed by the seas same as the UK... you're
grasping, obviously.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 03/11/08 15:33, Sheldon wrote:
"Steve Young" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Sheldon" �wrote:
Garlic and onion sets shouldn't sprout until early spring... (same as
other allium), you obviously planted way too early... if anything the
early cold/snow may be a gift.
Rubbish! Garlic has to be planted before winter sets in if you want decent
sized heads. I try to get a good growth before they slow for the winter
cold. Spring planted stuff is almost a waste of time the heads are usually
so small. It's a tough plant and won't bother about the winter in the UK
at all. �There are autumn planted onions (as well as the usual spring
planted) although I've found they are not as tough as garlic.

Nobody is talking about spring planting, we are talking about when it
sprouts.

If garlic has not been mistreated, very little sprouting/(above ground
growth) occurs between Fall planting and ground freeze. Now if it gets very
cold after planting and then a warm spell occurs before finally freezing, an
unusually large number may sprout. �Here in NE Ohio probably less
than 20% sprout before a winter thaw. �What confounds this timetable
is if garlic has been stored in a refrigerator anytime prior to planting. It
will sprout almost immediately after planting, long before strong roots are
established. Not a good thing.

Steve Young

Yup, obviously some of these folks don't read very well, the OP didn't
really mention a time frame, or even a locale, but from context it
seemed pretty obvious to those with intelligence that he meant
planting very recently, like now, as in this fall.

Ummm, yes I did.. I stated I live in Herts, UK.

And yes, we need need to plant garlic in November , so that it gets
rooted and sprouting before the winter sets in.

But my question was whether or not it matters that the tops get bent
over with snow and ice. Will they recover.

Ed
(Herts, UK)

Old 04-11-2008, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 03/11/08 19:53, Sheldon wrote:
On Nov 3, 11:42�am, mleblanca wrote:
On Nov 2, 3:19 am, Ed ex@directory wrote:

With the recent heavy snow and ice we have had this past week, a goodly
number of my autumn planted garlics and onions have had their tops bent
over.
Will they recover or will I need to replant again?
Ed
(Herts, UK)

If you look right up there, indeed the poster did give a locale.
What do want? his mailing address????
Emilie

Unless someone was a local they'd not know that "Herts" is ghetto/slum
speak for Hertfordshire.

The UK includes England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and the Isles...
that covers a few different bios... don't need (or even want) an
address, but a bit more specificity would help. It's only southern
England that has relatively mild winters, most of the UK is just as
cold and snowy as NY's Catskills.

No, no..... "Herts" is NOT slum speak. It is the official abbreviation
given by the Post Office and Royal Mail for the county of Hertfordshire
in SE England.

Also, the UK does not include Ireland ( aka the Republic of Ireland).
But does include the province of Northen Ireland. But what the heck are
the Isles?

But hey I only wanted to know if my garlic and onions will survive now
the tops have got bent over with the recent heavy snow and ice we
experienced last week.

Ed
(Herts, UK)

Old 04-11-2008, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Ed ex@directory wrote:

But my question was whether or not it matters that the tops get bent
over with snow and ice. Will they recover.

It matters, but not hugely. The cloves will have wasted energy producing
tops that get damaged. Unless the damage is so severe/frequent that the
cloves run out of stored food, you'll still get a crop, albeit reduced
somewhat.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Ed ex@directory wrote:

But hey I only wanted to know if my garlic and onions will survive now
the tops have got bent over with the recent heavy snow and ice we
experienced last week.

Welcome to a most interesting digression. Conversations are often like
that!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Sheldon posted this:
[...]

Sheldon, you're busting balls *and* 'grasping,' as usual for anything that
makes you seem informed while you point out the opposite very well. "The
Queen is a local?" - what the hell does that mean? Never mind, I don't think
I need a better look at the inner workings of your mind. If you didn't get
'Herts' you should have gotten 'UK' but then you'd have one less opportunity
to quibble over a pointless point. And you don't understand the great
difference between having a coastline and being a relatively small land mass
surrounded by the sea. I live on the coast of Maine, but expect sub-zero
temperatures every winter. While my climate is moderated by the ocean, move
10 miles inland and it all changes. There, the summer is warmer, but the
winter is colder.

To anyone else, here's an url I found while looking up garlic-ing that I
thought was helpful for my Zone 4 gardening.
http://www.snellfamilyfarm.com/garlic.html

Sorry for the continued cross-posting. Cheers.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 4, 5:08�am, Ed ex@directory wrote:
On 03/11/08 15:33, Sheldon wrote:

"Steve Young" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Sheldon" wrote:
[...]

You be typing like eubonics... I suppose you can't spell
Hertsfordshire. If you wanted to stay pure UK you should not have
crossposted, crossposting is always poor form anyway... I asked
someone I know well who lived in London for many years, she says
Hertsforshire is a slum, a ghetto of uneducated inbred miscreants...
it's no wonder you can't express yourself in proper English.

And yes, we need need to plant garlic in November , so that it gets
rooted and sprouting before the winter sets in.

Rooted, yes but why sprouted garlic before winter. If sprouted garlic
is what you need and you say you have sprouted garlic, then your
question is inane, nay, insane. I say, old chap, you don't make any
sense, old bean. trying my hand at UK speak

But my question was whether or not it matters that the tops get bent
over with snow and ice. Will they recover.

And some priggish lout claims England gets no snow and ice... I knew
he's an idiot but arguing with idiots is a waste, it's not possible
for idiots to learn.

It seems you're asking a theorhetical... only one way to find out
about your garlic, wait. It's amazing how folks from the UK
especially are incapable of constructing a proper sentence... and then
they get their knickers all twisted when they don't get the responses
they wish.

Cheerio and all that...

Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Sheldon" wrote
[...]

Your ignorance of the accepted short version of an English County and your
ignoring of the UK bit in the original post was nobody else's fault but
yours. There is a whole world outside the US. It is you who made a fool of
yourself by spouting on adamantly about your way of growing garlic which has
no relevance for the UK and the OP at all.
Then you persist in blaming everyone else and
twisting/misreading/misunderstanding their comments to continue your silly
diatribe for some strange reason known only to you, and with every new post
you confirm my thoughts about you.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 04/11/08 17:33, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote
Ummm, yes I did.. I stated I live in Herts, UK.

You be typing like eubonics... I suppose you can't spell
Hertsfordshire. If you wanted to stay pure UK you should not have
crossposted, crossposting is always poor form anyway... I asked
someone I know well who lived in London for many years, she says
Hertsforshire is a slum, a ghetto of uneducated inbred miscreants...
it's no wonder you can't express yourself in proper English.

There is no problem in cross posting. It's a great way of getting
informed opinion and experience across the board.

And hey, Hertfordshire is no slum.. Its a rich county outside of London.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Your ignorance of the accepted short version of an English County and your
ignoring of the UK bit in the original post was nobody else's fault but
yours.

The only ignorance is in if one desires to keep it pure UK is DON'T
CROSSPOST.

I got yer UK... GO ****ITH THYSELF! G

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Sheldon wrote:

I got yer UK...

Sometimes my countrymen embarrass me.
Shields up..

Old 04-11-2008, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
I got yer UK...

Sometimes my countrymen embarrass me.
Shields up..

Sometimes so do mine me .

Looks like we're neighbors.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Sheldon wrote:

Gary Woods wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

I got yer UK...

Sometimes my countrymen embarrass me.
Shields up..

Sometimes so do mine me .

Looks like we're neighbors.

Hide, Gary!

My garlic has sprouted, which in my blissful ignorance I'm pleased
about. In the past it has usually died back in the winter to sprout anew
in the spring, but the last 2 winters have been warm enough that it
never died back.

I don't get store bought sized heads, but it sure is good. (Of course, I
also get tator tots when I grown potatoes, unless I plant them in planters.

Kate - limestone country, TN
Old 05-11-2008, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

kate wrote:

Hide, Gary!

I've done the next best thing.

My garlic has sprouted, which in my blissful ignorance I'm pleased
about. In the past it has usually died back in the winter to sprout anew
in the spring, but the last 2 winters have been warm enough that it
never died back.

I don't get store bought sized heads, but it sure is good.

If you give it a good shot of N while the foliage is growing in early
spring, plus potash when the bulbs are forming, you'll likely do better.
Of course, smaller garlic tends to be more pungent as well as store better,
so unless you really think size matters, why bother?

My pride was wounded a bit this weekend: Some folks came up to get stuff
I'd put on Craig's list (two ....erm... mature households merging have a
LOT of extra "stuff!"), and noticing my email (think garygarlic in the
first part), brought a nice bulb of "music" they'd grown. Fully twice the
size of mine.

Oh, well... as the Senators fans used to say, "Wait 'til next year."

Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:
kate wrote:

Hide, Gary!

I've done the next best thing.

[...]

One of the best parts of gardening - next year. I sold at a small
farmers market for a few years but would never take my garlic - MINE!
All mine! One farmer sold elephant garlic - huge things, but it
aappeared to only have one clove?

For fertilizing, I tend to stick with compost and manure and/or herbal
teas. I tried to cure tomato blight with garlic tea one year - didn't
work entirely, but I had tomatoes to sell into August so who knows?

Kate