Old 20-02-2009, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Forcing Peonies Tubers

Zone 7 Maryland with warm days and frigid nights

As part of a community project, I was given some packaged peony tubers to plant

It seems to be a good idea to see if they will sprout before placing them in the ground
as they're from Home Depot.

What do you suggest... can they be started in water, or placed in a shallow pan, covered
with a cloth and kept moist ? Do they need soil to sprout or just after they sprout.

Planting time is scheduled for March...

Thanks in advance for your advice !!!

Peter
Old 20-02-2009, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Zone 7 Maryland with warm days and frigid nights

As part of a community project, I was given some packaged peony tubers to plant

It seems to be a good idea to see if they will sprout before placing them in the ground
as they're from Home Depot.

What do you suggest... can they be started in water, or placed in a shallow pan, covered
with a cloth and kept moist ? Do they need soil to sprout or just after they sprout.

Planting time is scheduled for March...

Thanks in advance for your advice !!!

Peter

If you ground is not frozen you can start them (outside) now. Peonies
do best when planted and not disturbed or transplanted.

If your ground is still frozen you can start Peonies this time of year
in a planter (inside) and put them outside when it warms up. You do NOT
want to start them in water because they will rot. They need to be
covered with soil and should be planted deep enough to cover the tuber
(follow the instruction on the package that they came in if you have that).

You should know that newly planted (or transplanted) Peonies usually
don't bloom the first season. Generally, it takes a few years for them
to really bloom well. I have lots of Peonies and the best bloomers are
the ones that have been in the same place for over 10 years. Only when
they get really large do I split the plant up.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

To see pictures from my garden visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

[IMG] code is On

Please repost to forcing peony tubers - original accidentally deleted [email protected] Gardening 2 22-02-2009 02:01 AM
How long should I chill bulbs for 'forcing'? Kevin Miller Gardening 2 10-12-2003 02:02 PM
an old bulb forcing faq Kay Lancaster Gardening 0 22-10-2003 11:12 PM
Bulb forcing gary Gardening 1 22-10-2003 01:32 PM
Forcing Many Bulbs indoors MC Gardening 0 26-09-2003 05:42 PM