Old 29-03-2009, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Frost II

It seems like my last question caused some misunderstandings.

I live on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas and for the last two nights the
local weather people have been calling for a low of 38 degrees and advising
that plants should be taken indoors to protect them from frost.

That was the reason for my first question. I just could not understand their
reasoning for such advice.

Now for another question. In the last two weeks I have planted a number of
bare-root roses. So far there has not been any frost in my area and my roses
are doing great.

However, in the event there is a frost sometime in the near future, I would
like to know how long a rose brush can withstand frost on it before severe
damage is done to it.

Thanks,

Denis

Old 29-03-2009, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Denis Mitchel" wrote:

It seems like my last question caused some misunderstandings.

I live on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas and for the last two nights the
local weather people have been calling for a low of 38 degrees and advising
that plants should be taken indoors to protect them from frost.

That was the reason for my first question. I just could not understand their
reasoning for such advice.

Now for another question. In the last two weeks I have planted a number of
bare-root roses. So far there has not been any frost in my area and my roses
are doing great.

However, in the event there is a frost sometime in the near future, I would
like to know how long a rose brush can withstand frost on it before severe
damage is done to it.

Thanks,

Denis

Not often, we have had ice stay a week. The winters here, dip to 20F at
night at least a half dozen times. Roses seem to be no worse for wear.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

Old 29-03-2009, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/29/2009 10:23 AM, Denis Mitchel wrote:
It seems like my last question caused some misunderstandings.

I live on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas and for the last two nights the
local weather people have been calling for a low of 38 degrees and advising
that plants should be taken indoors to protect them from frost.

That was the reason for my first question. I just could not understand their
reasoning for such advice.

Now for another question. In the last two weeks I have planted a number of
bare-root roses. So far there has not been any frost in my area and my roses
are doing great.

However, in the event there is a frost sometime in the near future, I would
like to know how long a rose brush can withstand frost on it before severe
damage is done to it.

Thanks,

Denis

Roses are hardy and can withstand not only frost but a light freeze. At
this time of year, however, roses have new growth that is more tender
than older growth. You might see some frost burn on new shoots, but the
damage will not be permanent. Later new shoots will compensate for any
current new shoots that get frost burn.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 29-03-2009, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:23:54 -0500, "Denis Mitchel"
wrote:

It seems like my last question caused some misunderstandings.

I live on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas and for the last two nights the
local weather people have been calling for a low of 38 degrees and advising
that plants should be taken indoors to protect them from frost.

That was the reason for my first question. I just could not understand their
reasoning for such advice.

Now for another question. In the last two weeks I have planted a number of
bare-root roses. So far there has not been any frost in my area and my roses
are doing great.

However, in the event there is a frost sometime in the near future, I would
like to know how long a rose brush can withstand frost on it before severe
damage is done to it.

Thanks,

Denis

Many plants are in danger when temperatures fall below 40, so that is
the reason for the advisement. Roses are not particularly sensitive
to cold, but if the entire rose plant freezes it will die. If there
is a light frost, you may have some tip die-back which is no big deal
for an established rose. Leaves or compost can be used as a
temporary blanket which will help minimize damage to young and tender
transplants during a cold snap.
Old 29-03-2009, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

My roses just took -5 f. Some like they would prefer 40 F.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the world's
known prison population.

Old 29-03-2009, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Here in Zone 5 roses do fine frozen at around zero all winter with sporadic
hard freezes during late fall and after spring thaw begins. A frost may
damage flowers but won't hurt the plant one bit. In fact roses (related to
apple) do far better in colder climes.

Old 29-03-2009, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Denis Mitchel" wrote in message
news
It seems like my last question caused some misunderstandings.

I live on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas and for the last two nights the
local weather people have been calling for a low of 38 degrees and
advising that plants should be taken indoors to protect them from frost.

That was the reason for my first question. I just could not understand
their reasoning for such advice.

Now for another question. In the last two weeks I have planted a number of
bare-root roses. So far there has not been any frost in my area and my
roses are doing great.

However, in the event there is a frost sometime in the near future, I
would like to know how long a rose brush can withstand frost on it before
severe damage is done to it.

Thanks,

Denis

You live in the relative flatlands of Texas. The only concern are "low
spots" for frost at that anticipated ambient temperture.. Don't believe the
weather advisory folks were speaking in reference to what you're speaking
of. If you think so, can you clairify?
--
Dave
Confront and fight Obama zombieism

Old 30-03-2009, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Denis Mitchel wrote:
It seems like my last question caused some misunderstandings.

I live on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas and for the last two nights the
local weather people have been calling for a low of 38 degrees and advising
that plants should be taken indoors to protect them from frost.

That was the reason for my first question. I just could not understand their
reasoning for such advice.

Now for another question. In the last two weeks I have planted a number of
bare-root roses. So far there has not been any frost in my area and my roses
are doing great.

However, in the event there is a frost sometime in the near future, I would
like to know how long a rose brush can withstand frost on it before severe
damage is done to it.

Thanks,

Denis

Because of radiation cooling frost can occur on any cloudless night when
the temperatures are in the 40 f or below range.

As for roses..I used live in New England where the winter temperatures
often got down to zero deg. and stayed there for several days at a time.
I never lost a rose plant to the cold weather.

HTH,

EJ IN NJ
Old 31-03-2009, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote

Meteorologists in Texas have it tough in the period late fall and early
spring.. They have problems contending with whether cold fronts making
this far south, whether the passed cold front will roll back as a warm
front, and whether El Nina affecting it as well. My hat's off to them, no
matter how badly they screw up.

Meteorology is equally tough anywhere, it's all an educated guess... they
mostly guess correctly... but we tend to only remember the screw ups that
affect us personally

Dave
If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait till tomorrow...

In Carson City NV they have that wait down to ten minutes.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Okay, I changed chainging weather conditions to what's most appropriate
here.

A front blew by early this morning dropping a little rain. Stealth lighting
was abound while this passed. (Lot's of observable in-sky only lightning,
no thunder). Sky cleared quickly as the morning wore on. Winds with gusts
of up to 60 mph. NWS increased rain chances to 50% in our area during that
short time period while the cloud and lighting passed through the area. Was
20% day prior.

Elizabeth is still referencing "dry line", for lack of a better term. More
power to her. Look up the term for its actual meaning in reference to
meterology.

NWS and other meteorlogic services can use all the current technology. At
best, its always an educated guess. Some guesses seem more on target than
other areas of the country. I've lived in coastal VA and sourthern MS as
well. Central TX seems worst on NWS forecasts from my own experiences.

--
Dave
If you don't like the weather in Central Texas, just give it a minute....

Old 04-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered User

Roses are hardy and can withstand light frost only, but frozen. In this time of year, however, rose a more tender new growth is than older growth. You may see some frost burn bud, but damage will not be permanent. Later, the new shoots to compensate for any currently, the new shoots that are frost burn.
Pond Supplies

[IMG] code is On

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
American frost zones tim United Kingdom 21 23-02-2003 12:16 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM