Deer Resistant Shrub Hedge Plant recommendations

Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Deer Resistant Shrub Hedge Plant recommendations

Greetings all...

Looking for a few suggestions for Deer Resistant Shrubs that can be used as a hedge.

Something with these characteristics

Zone 6
Dense Compact Shrub
6 - 10' tall
4- 5 ' width
Partial Shade to Full Sun (northeastern exposure.. morning sun_
Evergreen
Highly Deer resistant
Somewhat Drought Tolerant, but is also in a springtime moist location but dries up
during summer.
Medium Growth
Attractive. Berries are fine.....

Need a row about 35 feet long. Looking for a privacy screen, but only of medium height
maybe 10' max. I can purchase larger shrubs for immediate functionality, but can
also do the 3 gallon size and wait 5 years or so.

These will be replacing Russian Olives which grow but are yucky, and euonymous
'manhattan' which never grows because the deer rip it to shreds as soon as it develops a
leaf.

I have Ilex crenata "Chesapeake" small leaf Japanese Holly shrubs
as foundation plantings. They look nice, meet all the criteria
however I'm very concerned that they are 'deer candy' and will be
destroyed if used any distance away from the house.

Leylands are too large, Arborvitae have been ripped to shreds. Carmellia's couldn't
handle temperature ranges and drought. Euonymous and Photinia were both ripped
to shreds ( even when completely wrapped in 'deer netting").

Anyone currently growing something in a similar situation ???

Thanks !!!

Peter

Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 9:58*am, wrote:
[...]

I don't find deer eating the holly trees/bushes near or away from the
house.
Also, deer generally do not eat evergreens such as pine or hemlock.
If they do, they are starving as it supplies no nutrients.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:58:46 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Deer, by far, is my largest garden enemy. My rose of sharon hedge
have survived the deer (zone 7). Provides total privacy during summer
with flowers and can be trimmed to any height.

Young hollies, young euonymous, azaleas, any fruit trees need cage
protection. I use an electric fence for vegetables.

Spirea and quince have grown well without deer damage. My spirea is
15 feet tall, quince about 8 feet, neither were ever trimmed. No
winter privacy, though.

I have seen as many as 15 deer grazing in my front yard--too bad I
don't care for the taste. Plants are not the only victums, my small
town has one deer-vehicle collision every day!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message
On Apr 3, 9:58 am, wrote:
[...]

I don't know about the nutrients, I would suspect from how my deer love the
soft needled hemlock the they think otherwise. And they seem to really
enjoy the twigs and bark. Maybe your deer are picker than mine, around here
no conifers are off the deer menu except spruce... and during lean winters
they'll munch spruce too.

Because the OP is replacing deciduous shrubs I was going to suggest barberry
but then I noticed he desires evergreens. Barberrry makes an excellent
dence hedge that's easy to shear into any form and because of the thorns is
very deer proof... its fall folaige is a gorgeous crimson and will be loaded
with bright red or yellow berries well into winter... it also reseeds itself
readily. Barberry attracts small birds for nesting, the thorns repel
preditors, and its deep roots offer good erosion control on slopes.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
On Apr 3, 9:58 am, wrote:
[...]

It depends on the season. In the depths of winter when snow cover is
heavy I've had deer standing next to the house munching my evergreen
foundation plants. Deer are ruminates and never have an empty stomach
and have been found starved to death with stomachs full of vegetation
that has no nutrient value.

Like people, they also have preferred food. I've been trying to
establish ivy on slopes and had been frustrated with beds looking like
they were establishing to disappear during winter.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Dittos and I'm doubly frustrated because I hunt deer and cannot touch
the local herd.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:20:32 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

[...]

I like the Rose of Sharon... have several myself. A dear friend
of mine used to cut off new branches, trim the ends and insert
them into the ground where they formed new bushes. She had
quite a hedge growing. She also grew melons in trees, started
them in a container and had them trailing up the tree. Supported
the fruit in nylons stockings. She was Thai, speaking very
little english, but was a fantastic gardener. Good memories. !!

Unfortunately, there is a deer population problem here also... I've
walked outside to see 3 or 4 munching on the shrubs. Real pita,
but I can't bring myself to chase them away....(just yet).

With 15 deer and a Santa Claus costume, you could probably
make some extra spending loot around Christmas !!!

Peter
Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

Greetings all...

Looking for a few suggestions for Deer Resistant Shrubs that can be used
as a hedge.

Snip!

The deer have never bothered my holly trees and bushes.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

I have had every problem that you talk about The only thing that I've
found for a hedge which the deer will not eat is Boxwood. Ten years and
my Boxwoods have never been eaten.

HTH,

EJ in NJ
Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions....

There's a whole bunch of stuff to try out... I'll probably wind up planting
a combination of Holly and maybe some hemlock into the ground and see what
happens..on a trial basis this year. In the meantime I'm also going to see about
installing temporary fencing to protect the existing plants. (heavy duty real type of
metal fencing, instead of deer netting, which has proved to be ineffective).

Doesn't seem to be a lot of evergreens that deer won't eat if they get hungry
enough. Unfortunately... I've been planting a lot of deer 'candy' ,,,(what's
available in the garden centers).

Thanks again for your help, suggestions and insight, you've been extraordinarily helpful
!!

Peter
Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 PM

I have seen as many as 15 deer grazing in my front yard - too bad, I do not like the taste. Plants are not the only victums, my little car collided with a deer in town each day!
Pond Supplies