Old 30-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Registered User

Default Wind Tunnel

Hi All,
From the attached pictures you will see I have a wind tunnel down the side of my house passing over the decking and then down my drive.

Any suggestions as to how I can reduce the problem without blocking off the area as I like the feel of the garden wrapping around the house.

Our rear garden backs on to open fields which in turn open out to a valley.

Tough one to answer I know.

Thank you for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Wind Tunnel-imag0051.jpg   Wind Tunnel-imag0052.jpg   Wind Tunnel-imag0053.jpg
Old 30-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adders21 View Post
Hi All,
From the attached pictures you will see I have a wind tunnel down the side of my house passing over the decking and then down my drive.

Any suggestions as to how I can reduce the problem without blocking off the area as I like the feel of the garden wrapping around the house.

Our rear garden backs on to open fields which in turn open out to a valley.

Tough one to answer I know.

Thank you for looking.
Hi Adders, Yes, its not easy without forming some sort of screen to break the wind. here are a couple of options you may wish to consider but they do rely on forming a type of partition ! Please consider this, its always been my experience that when, in a case like this, you put up something which initially feels as if it divides the garden, its only because its new but once you get used to it and reap the benefits from not ony the wind reduction but also the fact that you are creating areas more condusive to growing things, I'm sure you will be glad you did it !
Ok, you could erect a staggered timber screen, incorporating a raised bed for planting tough climbers or shrubs just to 'soften 'the effect of the timber structure. If you feel that the former is going to be too severe, you can get the same effect with groups of very large tubs, planted with large evergreen shrubs ! The advantage of the tubs is that if need be, you can move them as needed to change the look of the 'screen' if you get fed up with it ?
hope this helps, im sure others will add thier ideas as well !
Lannerman.