Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Does Tomato Blossom Set Spray Work???

Saw an ad for Tomato Blossom Set Spray in this week's hardware
circular. I don't have any idea if it really works or not. Does
anyone have any first (or even second)-hand experience with this
stuff?

Bob Hofmann
Old 04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hr(bob) [email
circular. I don't have any idea if it really works or not. Does
anyone have any first (or even second)-hand experience with this
stuff?

Bob Hofmann
Tomatoes are self fertilising but this can be improved with a little help. Some people just tap the plane a couple of times to dislodge the pollen. Others use cotton buds and do each flower individually. Personally, I use a fine mist water spray to help set the fruit. I do this daily when the flowers are fully open. It must work as I always get a good crop. Save your money and use water.
Bigal
Old 05-06-2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
Saw an ad for Tomato Blossom Set Spray in this week's hardware
circular. I don't have any idea if it really works or not. Does
anyone have any first (or even second)-hand experience with this
stuff?

Bob Hofmann

A healthy outdoor tomato plant needs no spray to set fruit. The breeze will
do it.

http://gardening.about.com/od/organi...psom_Salts.htm

Do Epsom Salts Really Help Plants Grow Better?
Researchers have never been terribly impressed with the effects of Epsom
salts on plants.
(snip)
However, experienced gardeners have been swearing by Epsom salts for
years, and folk wisdom is often ahead of scientific study.
-----

I'll be trying it as soon as the night time temp gets above 55F.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

Old 05-06-2009, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article , "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
Saw an ad for Tomato Blossom Set Spray in this week's hardware
circular. I don't have any idea if it really works or not. Does
anyone have any first (or even second)-hand experience with this
stuff?

Bob Hofmann

A healthy outdoor tomato plant needs no spray to set fruit. The breeze will
do it.

http://gardening.about.com/od/organi...psom_Salts.htm

Do Epsom Salts Really Help Plants Grow Better?
Researchers have never been terribly impressed with the effects of Epsom
salts on plants.
(snip)
However, experienced gardeners have been swearing by Epsom salts for
years, and folk wisdom is often ahead of scientific study.
-----

I'll be trying it as soon as the night time temp gets above 55F.

We went with additions of things like Rock Phosphate, Green Sand,
Barber hair clippings etc. Soil amendments based on price and
availability. Encyclopedia of organic gardening has more details.

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/altsoilamend.html

Bill with much rain washing in new milky spore.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article , "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
Saw an ad for Tomato Blossom Set Spray in this week's hardware
circular. I don't have any idea if it really works or not. Does
anyone have any first (or even second)-hand experience with this
stuff?

Bob Hofmann

A healthy outdoor tomato plant needs no spray to set fruit. The
breeze will do it.

http://gardening.about.com/od/organi...psom_Salts.htm

Do Epsom Salts Really Help Plants Grow Better?
Researchers have never been terribly impressed with the effects of
Epsom salts on plants.
(snip)
However, experienced gardeners have been swearing by Epsom salts for
years, and folk wisdom is often ahead of scientific study.
-----

I'll be trying it as soon as the night time temp gets above 55F.

You are giving your plants a quick hit of soluble magnesium, if this was
what was required you would get noticable results and find it worked even
quicker as a foliar spray than on the ground.

While folk wisdom is often right but it lacks the mechanisms to be sure and
to tease out real effects from mere ritual and side issues. Science has the
better methods but the scope of its work is too often bound by what makes
money. Personally I am trying to give the desire for perfect methods as I
see no prospect of realisation.

David

Old 06-06-2009, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article , "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
[...]

Ah, the rational mind. What a wonder it is. Don't stop. Continue.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

You are giving your plants a quick hit of soluble magnesium, if this
was what was required you would get noticable results and find it
worked even quicker as a foliar spray than on the ground.

While folk wisdom is often right but it lacks the mechanisms to be
sure and to tease out real effects from mere ritual and side issues.
Science has the better methods but the scope of its work is too
often bound by what makes money. Personally I am trying to give the
desire for perfect methods as I see no prospect of realisation.

David

Ah, the rational mind. What a wonder it is. Don't stop. Continue.

That was supposed to be

Personally I am trying to give UP the desire for perfect methods as I see no
prospect of realisation.

David

Old 06-06-2009, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

You are giving your plants a quick hit of soluble magnesium, if this
was what was required you would get noticable results and find it
worked even quicker as a foliar spray than on the ground.

While folk wisdom is often right but it lacks the mechanisms to be
sure and to tease out real effects from mere ritual and side issues.
Science has the better methods but the scope of its work is too
often bound by what makes money. Personally I am trying to give the
desire for perfect methods as I see no prospect of realisation.

David

Ah, the rational mind. What a wonder it is. Don't stop. Continue.

That was supposed to be

Personally I am trying to give UP the desire for perfect methods as I see no
prospect of realisation.

David

Damn. Like they say,"All pain is desire". Oh well, back to work.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 6, 10:35*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

[...]

moment of conception until death." *- Rachel Carson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1050688.html- Hide quoted text -

Interesting discussion, but no one has answered my questions does the
blossom set really work?????

Old 07-06-2009, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

Interesting discussion, but no one has answered my questions does the
blossom set really work?????

Sorry I have no idea as I have never had the problem.

David

Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"hr(bob) " wrote:

On Jun 6, 10:35*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

[...]

Haven't you been following along?

What part of "Researchers have never been terribly impressed with the
effects of Epsom salts on plants. Gardeners are a different story and
the use of Epsom salts is a gardening tip passed down for generations.",
didn't you understand? Whether I have a good crop of tomatoes this year
or not, it will just be one data point. What the hell. It can't hurt.
Or if you don't like that cavalier attitude, then consider doing a Ph.D
thesis on the subject so that we don't get it wrong ;O)
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Zunx_goz4

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/6/2...ra_hass_on_the

Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 5, 5:31*pm, Billy wrote:
In article , "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
Saw an ad for Tomato Blossom Set Spray in this week's hardware
circular. *I don't have any idea if it really works or not. *Does
anyone have any first (or even second)-hand experience with this
stuff?

Bob Hofmann

A healthy outdoor tomato plant needs no spray to set fruit. The breeze will
do it.

http://gardening.about.com/od/organi...psom_Salts.htm

Do Epsom Salts Really Help Plants Grow Better?
Researchers have never been terribly impressed with the effects of Epsom
salts on plants.
(snip)
However, experienced gardeners have been swearing by Epsom salts for
years, and folk wisdom is often ahead of scientific study.
-----

I'll be trying it as soon as the night time temp gets above 55F.

Fast acting magnesium supplement, use when fertilizers
don't include Mg -- such as Miracle grow all purpose.
Use 1 - 2 tsp per gallon.

Adding dolomite to soil before planting supplies
magnesium and calcium, in equal amounts,
both of which tomatoes need especially.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 6, 7:44*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jun 6, 10:35*am, Billy wrote:

In article ,
*"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

[...]

As long as people keep spending their money on it, I'd say it fulfills
it's purpose quite nicely.

[IMG] code is On

Apple Blossom After A Shower - Apple Blossom.JPG [email protected] Garden Photos 0 14-04-2011 02:48 PM
Blossom tree with 2 types of blossom Jo[_5_] United Kingdom 5 11-04-2011 06:38 PM
Tomato blossom set hormone - how to use? [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 26-04-2009 04:05 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
HELP!! Blossom set Dr [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 15-05-2005 03:52 PM