Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default can you identify this blooming shrub

I planted seeds a few years ago and the shrubs are just blooming for
the first time this year.
Anyone know what they might be? The plants are about 6 feet tall.
The leaves are oval shiny and green. Flowers are rather fragile
looking white and yellow:
photo:
http://ih.fotothing.com/90270.jpg
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/7/2009 10:57 AM, doctoroe wrote:
I planted seeds a few years ago and the shrubs are just blooming for
the first time this year.
Anyone know what they might be? The plants are about 6 feet tall.
The leaves are oval shiny and green. Flowers are rather fragile
looking white and yellow:
photo:
http://ih.fotothing.com/90270.jpg

Interesting! Flowers with 3 or 6 petals are generally monocots (bulbs
and bulblike plants, cactus, grasses, palms), but the leaves (the oval
ones) are clearly those of a dicot (herbacious and woody perennials and
shrubs).

The flowers and leaves resemble pearl bush (Exochorda) except pearl bush
flowers have 5 petals.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks it is definitely not a pearl bush. A friend said it might be
some type of Gardenia, but these blooms are very puny compared to most
domestic gardenias I've seen.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

"doctoroe" wrote in message

A friend said it might be some type of Gardenia, but these blooms are
very puny compared to most domestic gardenias I've seen.

Actually I thought 'gardenia' too when I first saw it. BUT I don't live in
an area where gardenias can grow and I didn't think they got to 6ft from
seeds in just a couple of years anyway but since I know nothing about them,
I couldn't comment other than to say that I too had gardenia as a first
thought. After that I thought perhaps 'magnolia' but I can't grow them
either here except for the boring old deciduous ones.

Look forward to finding out what it is.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

I wonder if it is not some form of single gardenia.

What I thought too
--

09=ix

Old 08-06-2009, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

doctoroe wrote:
Thanks it is definitely not a pearl bush. A friend said it might be
some type of Gardenia, but these blooms are very puny compared to most
domestic gardenias I've seen.

My first reaction was gardenia. How does it smell?

David
Old 08-06-2009, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6$B7n(B8$BF|(B, $B8aA0(B2:57, doctoroe wrote:
I planted seeds a few years ago and the shrubs are just blooming for
the first time this year.
Anyone know what they might be? The plants are about 6 feet tall.
The leaves are oval shiny and green. Flowers are rather fragile
looking white and yellow:
photo:http://ih.fotothing.com/90270.jpg

It is surely a 'gardenia' (Gardenia jasminoides:
http://www.mitomori.co.jp/hana3/hana2.7.315kutina.html).
we can see two types of this flower in japan: one that have flowers of
double petals and the other that have flowers of single petals. Both
have the same frangrance but this latter one has a distinct nature of
bearing fruits in Winter. It is so common that we use this fruits as a
coloring to make japanese cuisine: 'kuri-kinton' (sweet chestnuts).
Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gardenia taitensis

Old 09-06-2009, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for the help on this. After comparing the flower fragrance, I
agree it must be some form of Gardenia, possibly taitensis. We have
eight of these small shrubs growing from seed. Will transplant some
this fall to a more prominent place in the yard.
Thanks again.

On Jun 8, 5:06*am, "kebunya" wrote:
Gardenia taitensis

Old 10-06-2009, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks to all who offered suggestions on this plant. I am fairly sure
it is some form of Gardenia, but not taitensis since that is more of a
tropical and this plant seems to thrive in our zone 7 climate
including overnight lows below 20 in NC.
I plan to move these trees to better places in the yard this fall.
Growing trees from seeds is fun, but make sure you keep good records
so you don't forget what they are, like I did!

On Jun 8, 5:06*am, "kebunya" wrote:

Gardenia taitensis