Repairs to RYOBI 30cc Strimmer

Old 22-04-2010, 09:39 AM

Angry Repairs to RYOBI 30cc Strimmer

I have a RYOBI PLT-3043YE 2-stroke 'expand-it' strimmer. Just a year old. The mechanism that retracts the starter cord has broken. Unfortunately you must remove the motor completely to get to this part (even to replace a broken pull-cord). I live about 10 miles from Ipswich and the nearest RYOBI service agent is in Norwich (about 60 miles or so away), which means it is almost as cheap to buy a new machine as it is to make the multiple journeys necessary to get the machine repaired.
I have been to all the local repairers that I can find, none of which will touch RYOBI as the minimum spares order is 200 and there is some new policy which says they must sell over 25000 of RYOBI equipment p.a.
I have contacted RYOBI by email but have had no reply. To say I am not impressed by this company is an understatement.
Does anyone in the vicinity of Ipswich have any suggestions of a repairer in the area. I have tried the main ones.