Old 21-04-2010, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Duct tape for sweet peas

Yes, it sounds weird. But so did my earlier method for securing sweet
peas (or morning glories) to a wood fence that backs up a long line of
roses.

Problem has been that I have no room to hang a sweet pea net behind
the roses that butt right up against the fence. So in past years I
STAPLED the pea vines to the fence. Sounds cruel, but I bridged the
stems with the staples, so worked fine.

However, due to an injury that has partially crippled my R. hand, it
is more difficult than ever to position the heavy-duty staples and
click in place.

So I decided to try duct tape. Have just spent an hour taping the
whole line of sweet peas, tallest of which are now about 2' high.
Should work OK barring rain* and maybe even that wouldn't dissolve
tape.

*Not supposed to be raining late April in So. Calif coastal, but
weather is out of whack, perhaps due to climate change.

Any other thoughts for this recurring situation?

TIA

Persephone

Old 21-04-2010, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Contact adhesive.

David
Old 22-04-2010, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

We have a Mastercraft (manufactured by Canadian Tire) "Electric
Staple/Nail Gun" which I use to staple up our stuff. Maybe you can
find something similiar in the UK?

Old 25-04-2010, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 22, 6:04*am, "Fred Williams" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I'm not in UK, but in So. Calif USA

I went to Canadian Tire site and found a light-duty manual gun, but
could not find shipping cost to US.
It did get better reviews than similar guns I found on-line at Sears
(bad ) and Black & Decker (also bad )

However, all these guns with the "forward action" do seem easier to
use than my old stapler.

Weighing the pros & cons...

P.

[IMG] code is On

is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2010 11:32 PM
should I bring in the sweet peas before the snow? NAearthMOM Gardening 1 30-03-2003 04:08 PM
sweet peas Ophelia United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Stapling sweet peas SugarChile Gardening 2 26-02-2003 04:15 PM
sweet peas-any secrets to success? NAearthMOM Gardening 12 05-02-2003 06:19 PM