"Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acids": Safe ?

Old 23-04-2010, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob

Default "Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acids": Safe ?

Hello,

Lawn is in reasonable shape, but areas of Moss. Live in New England.

Bought a container of a liquid Moss killer (goes on hose end)that has as
it's (only) active ingredient something called:
Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid".

Question: Is it safe if some of the spray gets on healthy grass ?

And would also like to ask:

Soil, via a ph test, showed that it is quite acidic.
If I put down the limestone granules, is this also safe on healthy grass ?

Any caveats to it's use, etc. ?

Thanks,
B.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Lawn is in reasonable shape, but areas of Moss. Live in New England.

Bought a container of a liquid Moss killer (goes on hose end)that has
as it's (only) active ingredient something called:
Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid".

Question: Is it safe if some of the spray gets on healthy grass ?

I would think so but see qualifications further on. It is a kind of soap.
The potassium (in moderation) is a nutrient and the fatty acid part will
biodegrade. Not knowing much about moss I am unsure how it works. This is
only a guess: that it is a way to quickly raise the pH by applying a soluble
substance that is alkaline. In which case don't overdo it and be careful
applying it with limestone as well.

And would also like to ask:

Soil, via a ph test, showed that it is quite acidic.
If I put down the limestone granules, is this also safe on healthy
grass ?

Yes provided that you do not raise the pH above the level that the grass
will grow well in. The assumption with this treatment is that a pH region
exists that is unfavourable to the moss and still favourable to the grass.
What do you mean by quite acid?

Any caveats to it's use, etc. ?

Thanks,
B.

Limestone granules will take some time to work, some months depending on the
size of the granules which influences how fast they dissolve. Don't be
impatient and repeat the dose too soon.

David

Old 24-04-2010, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bob wrote:
[...]

When I was looking at correcting lawn pH (6.5- 7.2), the talk was all
about lime. Not once did I see "Potassium Soaps".
--
- Billy
Old 24-04-2010, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:18:42 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Lawn is in reasonable shape, but areas of Moss. Live in New England.

Bought a container of a liquid Moss killer (goes on hose end)that has as
it's (only) active ingredient something called:
Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid".

Question: Is it safe if some of the spray gets on healthy grass ?

And would also like to ask:

Soil, via a ph test, showed that it is quite acidic.
If I put down the limestone granules, is this also safe on healthy grass ?

Any caveats to it's use, etc. ?

Thanks,
B.

Just about all plants, including grass, do not like soap on their
roots. Do the instructions say anything about getting their product
on grass?

Using lime granules on the grass is helpful if the soil is acidic. It
can be harmful if the soil is already alkaline, as most grass grows
best in slightly acidic soils. Test pH again in 6 months, reapply if
needed. You may have to apply lime every 6 months for a few years (I
did). I still have some moss, but most is under control.
Old 24-04-2010, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 08:34:38 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Bob wrote:
[...]

Blah, blah, blah...

Anytime a lawn goes to moss it's because it's been totally neglected
for a very long time; hasn't been dethatched, hasn't been aerated,
hasn't been top dressed, hasn't been properly watered, hasn't been
fertilized, hasn't been over seeded, hasn't even been looked at... a
mossy lawn is one owned by a totally useless lazy ******* who will
never, NEVER take any well meaning advice, because number one it costs
money... they are a LAZY USELESS *******S... and CHEAP... oh yes, a
CHEAPO ******* who won't even spend the few bucks to mow more than
twice a season. Anytime anyone asks about how to repair a screwed up
lawn I know it's only about the money, THE MONEY... because anyone
willing to spend the dollars doesn't need to know anything about
lawns, NOTHING... all they gotta do is go to a store that sells lawn
care products and ASK and open their miser wallets, even if they know
all about lawns they still gotta spend the bucks... a well manicured
lawn is ONLY about the lucre... the bigger and better the lawn the
more lucreperiod

Old 24-04-2010, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Bob wrote:
[...]

I think your off topic, David ;O)
--