Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gad zukes

Is it necessary to stake or cage zukes? I am growing black beauty. The one
plant I have is in a 22 inch pot and has started to grow rapidly. Do some
varieties vine as opposed to "mounding?"

Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Is it necessary to stake or cage zukes? I am growing black beauty. The
one plant I have is in a 22 inch pot and has started to grow
rapidly. Do some varieties vine as opposed to "mounding?"

All the ones I have grown (including BB) form a clump that gets longer with
the season but don't really run like a pumpkin or cucumber. In good
conditions it will never stay in a pot that size. It has no tendrils so it
will not grow on a trellis of its own accord but you could tie it up if the
ties will hold the weight and not damage the stems or leaves. The easiest
thing is just let it spread over the ground Leave word with the authorities
before you go in to harvest though.

David

Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook wrote:
Is it necessary to stake or cage zukes? I am growing black beauty. The
one plant I have is in a 22 inch pot and has started to grow
rapidly. Do some varieties vine as opposed to "mounding?"

All the ones I have grown (including BB) form a clump that gets longer
with the season but don't really run like a pumpkin or cucumber. In good
conditions it will never stay in a pot that size. It has no tendrils so
it will not grow on a trellis of its own accord but you could tie it up if
the ties will hold the weight and not damage the stems or leaves. The
easiest thing is just let it spread over the ground Leave word with the
authorities before you go in to harvest though.

I've heard stories about people who went out to gather a few for dinner and
weren't seen again until the fall freeze. Word has it the pot will produce
a somewhat stunted plant but even more fruit. I was thinking of just
driving three 4 foot bamboo sticks into the pot in a triangle then making a
twine support system, kind of like a spider web. Sounds like that will be
better than a formal trellis.

[IMG] code is On

Zukes not fully developing Paul M. Cook Gardening 9 29-08-2011 01:01 AM
Why no more new fruit on my zukes? Todd Gardening 17 13-08-2011 12:41 AM
Wilting Zukes Snag Edible Gardening 6 14-07-2011 06:10 PM
Zukes ond gender bias Paul M. Cook Gardening 11 07-08-2010 06:14 AM
growing zukes for seed Dawn Edible Gardening 3 29-07-2004 06:06 PM