Old 24-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Registered User

Default What is this plant?

Recently in my area this plant has begun to look like it will flower, which it hasn't done in at least 10 years, so I would like to know what it is and if it has a chance of flowering in the UK (South West)

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this plant?-plant.jpg
Old 19-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2008 View Post
Recently in my area this plant has begun to look like it will flower, which it hasn't done in at least 10 years, so I would like to know what it is and if it has a chance of flowering in the UK (South West)

Thanks.
Hi steve, just noticed your post and see it hasnt been answered, so a little late but its an Agave americana, commonly called 'The Century Plant' because its said it takes 100 yrs to flower but infact it will flower in about 12-15 yrs. the rosette that flowers then dies but as they produce lots of basal rosettes, there will always be plenty of others to replace it.
They are quite hardy when they get bigger than 2-3ft across, especially down here in the Southwest, thier main requirement is a sunny, very free drained spot, so lots of grit incorporated when planting, they rarely die from lack of water even in the driest of conditions ( all thier water is stored in the leaves) in Mexico where they come from, its the fermented leaves of this plant that the locals use to make tequila
hope this is not too late, lannerman
Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 AM
Registered User

Thanks

It was a welcome distraction on the daily route to work to see how it was progressing.

It is toward the end of its flowering now with just the few top ones going.

Thanks for the name.

Here's hoping I won't still be doing that walk next time it flowers