Old 25-09-2010, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to preserve some pumpkins for a month until Halloween

We have 5 nice Halloween-sized carving pumpkins in our garden, but the
associated vines are just about dried up and I don't want the pumpkins
to rot on the ground or in our garage, at least not until after
Halloween. What is the best way to preserve them for a month until we
carve them up. Chicago area, so no frost yet.
Old 26-09-2010, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 26, 7:51*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
hrbob said:

We have 5 nice Halloween-sized carving pumpkins in our garden, but the
associated vines are just about dried up and I don't want the pumpkins
to rot on the ground or in our garage, at least not until after
Halloween. *What is the best way to preserve them for a month until we
carve them up. *Chicago area, so no frost yet.

Cut from the vine with a sharp knife leaving 3-4 inches of stem, do
not lift by stem... breaking off the stem will prevent moisture from
escaping and the pumpkin will rot. *So long as there is no hard frost
storing in a *dark* garage is good but not on the floor, place on a
board... or store in a dry basement, again not directly on the floor.
The biggest risk to storing pumpkins is their being eaten by critters;
squirrels, mice, birds, and others. *I place the nicest pumpkins on my
front steps for holiday decor but I also place a few sacrificial
pumpkins out on the sides of the house up against a tree trunk.

Yeah, critters have alreeady eaten one that ripened about a month
ago. Did leave a few seeds on the ground, otherwise no traces left.
Did know to leave a hunk of umbilical cord on each pumpkin, storage
will be in our garage for the next few weeks.

Thanx for the reply.