Old 26-09-2010, 12:54 AM posted to balt.general,rec.gardens

Default Attack Of The Stinkbugs

Specifically the Brown Marmorated Stinkbug which has apparently been
in the US less than 15 yrs. This is my 1st experience with any kind
of stinkbug.

Suspend SC (Deltamethrin 4.75%) kills them but they die slowly and you
have to squirt them directly. Walking across a dry film layer of the
poison seems to have no effect.

But here's the rub: Everybody goes ballistic about their odor when
squished. Well, over the past seven days, I have squished about about
two dozen inside the house and at least 1,000 outside on the cedar
siding or in the garage with a fly swatter. I cannot smell a thing
even though possessing an excellent olfactory sense. Hell, I can
smell a fart at 20 yards. Guess I should be thankful small blessings
in dealing with this nuisance.
Old 26-09-2010, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 25, 6:54*pm, (jack) wrote:
Specifically the Brown Marmorated Stinkbug which has apparently been
in the US less than 15 yrs. *This is my 1st experience with any kind
of stinkbug.

Suspend SC (Deltamethrin 4.75%) kills them but they die slowly and you
have to squirt them directly. *Walking across a dry film layer of the
poison seems to have no effect.

But here's the rub: Everybody goes ballistic about their odor when
squished. *Well, over the past seven days, I have squished about about
two dozen inside the house and at least 1,000 outside on the cedar
siding or in the garage with a fly swatter. *I cannot smell a thing
even though possessing an excellent olfactory sense. *Hell, I can
smell a fart at 20 yards. *Guess I should be thankful small blessings
in dealing with this nuisance.

It is not uncommon for one person to be able to smell something that
another cannot. I was on a subway once when a lady boarded with a
friend who was trailed by a kid. The lady pulled out a spritzer of
perfume and said "I just got this! Want to try it?" They recoiled in
horror (obviously the subjects of prior experience). She went on to
spray herself and inhaled deeply. Meanwhile, most of the train's
occupants moved away- the stuff had to be called "Roadkill in the
Sun".

Chris
(Taste is mostly smell. Check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylthiocarbamide
for a good description.)
Old 26-09-2010, 01:26 PM posted to balt.general,rec.gardens

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 PM posted to balt.general,rec.gardens

In article , ExGymRat@Home. (Jack)
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 17:15:52 GMT, se (JustTom) wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:54:03 GMT,
lid (jack) wrote:

Specifically the Brown Marmorated Stinkbug which has apparently been
in the US less than 15 yrs. This is my 1st experience with any kind
of stinkbug.

You'll have more next year then. They mark their territory and return
next year with friends.

I had just a couple 3 years ago. Never heard of them before. Now I
have literally thousands invading the house in fall and exiting in
spring.

New twist this fall is that there appears to be new kinds tagging
along: greens and some smaller different shaped ones.

Starting to affect the fruit crops here now (western MD).

My shop vac has been working overtime.

Well, at least I have the consolation of knowing that about 2,000 of
them won't be reproducing.

Let me know if this is viable. Never had them in our house to this year
they respond well to a fly swatter.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sp...tml#axzz11Vm24
Ff1

Just had a small storm go by 20 inches rain in NC and just 5 here.
Tree took out everything till now. Last Friday.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI